nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5000/D3000 series (Public) topic #5418
View in linear mode

Subject: "Using a Minicam with the viewfinder" Previous topic | Next topic
robbo2012 Registered since 18th Feb 2012Wed 22-Feb-12 08:08 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Using a Minicam with the viewfinder"
Thu 23-Feb-12 05:50 AM by robbo2012

UK

I thought you might be interested in this method of viewing through the viewfinder using a pinhole camera, an adapter, and dongle/viewing software.

1. The camera is from Amazon:
"Wireless Internal Pinhole Lens CCTV Security Camera 380TV CMOS Sensor"

2. The adapter is from an Optika right-angle viewer I bought, it's just one of those oblong black frames that lets you attach the viewer to your camera.

3. The dongle and software was also from Amazon:
"ClimaxDigital VCAP305 USB 2.0 VHS to DVD Converter/DVD Maker"

I bought '1' and '3' a while ago for security use, but recently took up macro work, and was having problems looking down the viewfinder - and using Live View all the time was burning the battery too fast.
I filed a curve in the top part of the adapter, and made the surround of the pinhole camera's lens - which is conveniently made of metal - a secure fit in the gap.
Then slide adapter + camera onto the viewfinder. The pinhole camera has its own power adapter. The transmitter also has a power adapter and it connects to the dongle, which plugs into the PC via USB. When you run the included software, the (pinhole) camera view appears on the monitor. You can adjust the focus of the pinhole camera to suit, and enlarge the viewing window if required.
Now I can 'macro' to my hearts content without breaking my neck!
I posted pix of the equipment, and a screenshot of the view, in my Gallery (although I see they appear in reverse order, never mind!)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Using a Minicam to view EVF
gkaiseril Gold Member
22nd Feb 2012
robbo2012
22nd Feb 2012
robbo2012
24th Feb 2012
blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
27th Feb 2012
robbo2012
27th Feb 2012

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 22-Feb-12 08:51 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Using a Minicam to view EVF"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

There are also right angle adapters for the dSLR and 35 film SLR cameras.

I did not know that dSLRs had an EVF. I thought it was done with mirrors or a prism.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

robbo2012 Registered since 18th Feb 2012Wed 22-Feb-12 10:21 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Using a Minicam to view EVF"
In response to Reply # 1
Thu 23-Feb-12 05:52 AM by robbo2012

UK

Yes, I'm aware there are right-angle adapters for dSLR's - I have one, but its not very comfortable to use.
And yes, thanks for correcting me about the EVF, of course I was thinking about my older camera. But I'm sure you know what I meant, the viewfinder bit wot you look through!
I have amended the original post.

robbo2012 Registered since 18th Feb 2012Fri 24-Feb-12 11:54 AM
#3. "RE: Using a Minicam to view EVF"
In response to Reply # 2
Fri 24-Feb-12 11:56 AM by robbo2012

UK

Wow! 50 views (and not one comment - amazing!)
Obviously of no interest to anyone then.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Mon 27-Feb-12 05:08 PM
26952 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Using a Minicam to view EVF"
In response to Reply # 3

Richmond, US

I think you're describing a way of wirelessly transmitting the viewfinder image to a PC?

There are other methods, at least for cameras with LiveView, although they aren't wireless. ControlMyNikon.com offers a wired capability that is interesting and useful. It costs $10 or so, plus you need a USB cable long enough to be interesting. The one that comes with the camera is only about four feet long, which works for some things but not others.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

robbo2012 Registered since 18th Feb 2012Mon 27-Feb-12 05:43 PM
#5. "RE: Using a Minicam to view EVF"
In response to Reply # 4

UK

I just had a look at that site. Interesting...
And the software is cheap enough.
Won't work with my D3100, but if I move up to the D5100 - as I was considering doing - then I will definitely try it.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5000/D3000 series (Public) topic #5418 Previous topic | Next topic