nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5000/D3000 series (Public) topic #5402
View in linear mode

Subject: "D5000 not working" Previous topic | Next topic
mhalweg Registered since 19th Feb 2012Sun 19-Feb-12 03:02 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5000 not working"

US

My camera fell off my coffee table (about 16-18") onto a thin carpet with laminate underneath. The only thing that now happens with it is that it blinks green on the back bottom right of the camera (cam switched on or off). When the SD card is removed it turns off. I checked the manual and it said to hit the reset button. I did that and the blinking stopped. I turned on the camera and i was prompted for the date/time to be set. I did that and then hit the shutter button and the flash popped up and I could hear a little clicking like it was trying to AF my 18-52 lens. So I switched lens and now i can't even get the camera to turn back on. When I shake my 18-52 lens I can hear a noise so I'm thinking the fall knocked something out of place. When I shake the lens I shouldn't hear anything, correct? Has anyone encountered this before?
thanks in advance,

matt

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberTue 21-Feb-12 01:55 AM
3178 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D5000 not working"
In response to Reply # 0

Monterey Bay, US

Get a D5100, I've already dropped mine 3 times with no damage at all.
Last time it bounced right up into my hand.

Only other time I ever dropped a camera, it was a pocket camera.
Afterwards the LCD looked like an etch-a-sketch.
Kodak fixed it for cheap.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Tue 21-Feb-12 02:18 AM
3530 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D5000 not working"
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

You need to send your D5000 in for repair or at least an estimate. You won't know if your lens has a problem. Every lens will make a little noise when you shake it. They all have moving parts like the aperture stop down mechanism.

Len

DSW90049 Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2012Fri 24-Feb-12 03:07 PM
177 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D5000 not working"
In response to Reply # 2

Los Angeles, US

Dropped my trusty old d70 the other day and it fell on a wood floor, but was OK. Sorry yours did not respond. I noticed something, however, that others may learn from. My d70 had been sitting on a table near where I was sitting and with the camera strap hanging over the edge of the table. When I got up, I made contact with the strap and that dragged the camera right over the edge of the table, and ka-bam.

Lesson: watch out where the camera strap is hanging, and perhaps don't leave it hanging over the edge of a table . . . . the exposed strap is what can bring the camera and the floor into immediate, and sometimes catastrophic contact. . .

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5000/D3000 series (Public) topic #5402 Previous topic | Next topic