Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #5383
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon Auto Focus" Previous topic | Next topic
rivlinj Registered since 29th Mar 2011Thu 16-Feb-12 07:37 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon Auto Focus"

US

I have a new D5100 and an old AF Micro Nikkor 60mm lens. It appears that it will not Auto Focus mounted on the D5100. I've got it in A mode (rather than M) but nothing. Should I conclude there is something wrong with the lens or is there some chance that the Auto Focus feature does not work with this lens on the D5100? Sure would appreciate some help as I use this lens often - used it with no problems on my D50 that I just gave to my daughter.
Thanks - Joe

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Thu 16-Feb-12 07:59 PM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon Auto Focus"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 16-Feb-12 08:04 PM by jpFoto

US

Joe

Older Nikkor auto focus lenses don't auto-focus on the D5100 or the D3100 because those bodies do not have auto-focus motors. You need to use AF-S lenses on those two cameras because the lenses themselves have motors. However, you can still use the lens, but only in manual focus mode.

Take a look at the list pinned to the top of this forum for a list of lenses that will auto focus on the D5000 and D3000 (same type of bodies as the D5100 and D3100.

jP

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 16-Feb-12 10:15 PM
25683 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon Auto Focus"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Joe,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Your D50 has an AF motor built into the camera body that drives the screwdriver AF mechanism of the AF, AF-D, and the older AF-G type lenses.
To reduce the price of entry level bodies, Nikon decided to omit AF motors in the entry level bodies starting with the D40 about 5 years ago. At the same time, they introduced entry level AF-S type lenses like the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX.
The bodies that don't have AF motors are the: D40, D40X, D60, D3000, D5000, D3100, and your D5100.
As JP wrote above, the D5100 will provide metering when the older AF type lenses are mounted on the camera, but no AF. You will have to focus Manually.
The D90, D7000, D_00 series, and D_ series bodies continue to have AF motors built into the camera body and are fully compatible with the screwdriver type AF lenses.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #5383 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.