nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D5000/D3000 series (Public) topic #5376
View in linear mode

Subject: "Curious about the Info button on the D5100" Previous topic | Next topic
srd1941 Silver Member  Waterville, US  Nikonian since 05th Feb 2012 Thu 16-Feb-12 02:13 AM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Curious about the Info button on the D5100"

As near as I can tell the only function of the Info button on top of the D5100 is to turn the LCD on and off. The LCD, of course, can be turned on using the “I” button and also turned on whenever the shutter button is half pressed. It then is turned off with a full press of the shutter button or after the time interval set in the menu. Is this the only function of the Info button or am I missing something? It wouldn’t be the first time as I tend to overlook things quite often.
Stan

Stan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas   US  Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007 Thu 16-Feb-12 02:47 AM
27648 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Curious about the Info button on the D5100"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi Stan,

Welcome to Nikonians!
You are correct. The Info button will display the shooting information in the LCD or turn the LCD off.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

LivePk   US  Registered since 11th Mar 2012 Sun 11-Mar-12 10:50 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Curious about the Info button on the D5100"
In response to Reply # 1

>Hi Stan,
>
>Welcome to Nikonians!
>You are correct. The Info button will display the shooting
>information in the LCD or turn the LCD off.
>Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Doesn't the LCD button give you access to functions like ISO, white balance etc....?

In other words, the I button gives access to functions like a shortcut button. I was hesitant about the d5100 until I realized that one push of that button put the functions in front of me and accessible with the selector.

If you guys realize this, apologies! Im just clearing it up as the I button is what sold me on the 5100.

DavidN4 Silver Member  Johns Creek, US  Nikonian since 09th Nov 2011 Mon 12-Mar-12 01:24 AM
272 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Curious about the Info button on the D5100"
In response to Reply # 2

Yes, you are correct.

If you press the button while the LCD is off, or while Live View is being used, it brings up a screen of settings. Pressing it again will enter you into whichever item was last selected, and you can use the arrow keys on the back to get to what you want to select.

I find the Info button to be very handy, so that I can change settings quickly. Once you get used to it, you will use it all the time.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D5000/D3000 series (Public) topic #5376 Previous topic | Next topic