Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #534
View in linear mode

Subject: "Another D5000 problem" Previous topic | Next topic
thosmm Registered since 12th May 2009Wed 02-Sep-09 07:31 PM
77 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Another D5000 problem"

Spring Hill, US

I took some pictures yesterday and when I downloaded them from the memory card to my computer I took a look at them and I noticed white spots on the picture. I zoomed in on the white spots and they each had a green halo around them. I had some dead or stuck pixels.

I went through all of my images and found these in every image I'd taken since the camera had returned from it's trip to Nikon's service center in Connecticut for the power service advisory.

I looked through the images from before the service trip and I didn't see any, though at this point I won't swear there weren't any to see.

I contacted Nikon and they've asked me to send my camera in again.

This is just beginning to get old.

-TM-

Visit My webpage and gallery..

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Another D5000 problem
MEMcD Moderator
02nd Sep 2009
ennbr
03rd Sep 2009
kubii
04th Sep 2009
Larry E30 Silver Member
04th Sep 2009
thosmm
15th Sep 2009
gretchenta Gold Member
15th Sep 2009
thosmm
17th Sep 2009
thosmm
17th Sep 2009
thosmm
18th Sep 2009
slothead Gold Member
21st Sep 2009

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 02-Sep-09 11:19 PM
26184 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Another D5000 problem"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Thomas,

I am sorry to hear that. I can understand your frusration.
Hopefully Nikon Service will get it right this time.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

ennbr Registered since 07th Feb 2009Thu 03-Sep-09 12:18 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Another D5000 problem"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Wow I keep hearing one horror story after another I think I'll pass on the repair until something is actually wrong with my d5000.

Sorry to hear about your new problem

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

kubii Registered since 04th Sep 2009Fri 04-Sep-09 10:43 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Another D5000 problem"
In response to Reply # 2

US

My problem is that the camera capturing "wrong
color" or "weird white balance" even after I
manually set the white balance. Anybody else experienced this?

Larry E30 Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2009Fri 04-Sep-09 04:16 PM
2382 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Another D5000 problem"
In response to Reply # 3

US

I did notice photographing flowers in the back yard that no matter what I did I could not get colors or the toneage of color even close.

But since then Nikonians have suggested I use the SCENE modes.Results seem a little better for me.

It is a little troubling that d5000 people have reported ;bad meter/exposure problems,bad white balance problems,dead pixel problems - all besides the recall problem.

For me,I had to return my D5000 outfit to Costco 3 times. And that was far from fun.Repacking and re-setting up camera - over and over.

But I now have a nice copy - and know how I can use it now to get good results now.

Swivelscreen is new to SLR.I returned an Olympus E30 compleat outfit before switching to Nikon,(Losing hundreds of dollars).Swivel was my #1 priority in moving up to SLR better quality.I've calmed down since.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

thosmm Registered since 12th May 2009Tue 15-Sep-09 12:26 AM
77 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Another D5000 problem"
In response to Reply # 0

Spring Hill, US

Today I received a letter/invoice from Nikon indicating that they had received my camera.

It's status is In Shop and the service description is B2 Service Repair Rank B2 which translates to Moderate Repair; Major Parts Replaced.

I'm still not sure when I'll get my camera back; but at least they agree that there was a problem with the camera.

-TM-

gretchenta Gold Member Nikonian since 16th Oct 2008Tue 15-Sep-09 10:57 PM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Another D5000 problem"
In response to Reply # 5

Oranjestad, AW

I went to Wolff in Fort Lauderdale,FLorida to let them sent the D5000 to nikon and let it repair. Wolff camera shop never heard about the problem and would not take it. So I kept it incase it disturb me I will sent it to Nikon thru another camera shop

thosmm Registered since 12th May 2009Thu 17-Sep-09 10:40 PM
#7. "RE: Another D5000 problem"
In response to Reply # 6

Spring Hill, US

Gretchen,

I understand why you want Wolf to send the camera in for you as you list Aruba as your home.

If this was recently, then I would be very wary of that Wolf Camera or at least ask to speak to someone who's been there more than a couple of weeks.

There is no excuse for any reputable dealer to be unaware of the Nikon D5000 situation. This problem has been ongoing for months, and Nikon's Service Advisory (aka recall) has been running since mid July.

If you have a postal drop in Fort Lauderdale or nearby, I'd suggest sending the camera back to Nikon with the postal drop as the return address.

The Service Advisory work is not done by Nikon, but by Precision Camera Repair in Connecticut. I don't know if they've gotten this figured out yet, but several people have had to send their camera in multiple times.

Good luck!

-TM-

thosmm Registered since 12th May 2009Thu 17-Sep-09 10:41 PM
#8. "RE: Another D5000 problem"
In response to Reply # 5

Spring Hill, US

The status on my camera at the Nikon website is now shipped. Hopefully I will be getting the camera back soon.

-TM-

thosmm Registered since 12th May 2009Fri 18-Sep-09 02:22 PM
#9. "RE: Another D5000 problem"
In response to Reply # 8

Spring Hill, US

Shipping status is out for delivery. I know this because they attempted to deliver yesterday but have to have a signature.

What a difference from the trip to Connecticut, where the camera was shipped without requiring a signature. I expect that the Nikon service center may have even included paperwork!

I'm looking forward to getting my camera back.

-TM-

slothead Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Mon 21-Sep-09 06:57 PM
1546 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Another D5000 problem"
In response to Reply # 9

Frederick, US

I sent mine back some time in July as I recall, and it was returned within two weeks. I hadn't used it much since then (because I went out and bought a D300), and so when I read this thread I became concerned (the D5000 is my back-up for my D300 - and much handier when I don't have time to configure the camera for a quick shot). Anyway, I just took some shots to make sure that I hadn't overlooked any problems when I checked it out after getting it back from Nikon. I can't see any color problems or white spots (and none with green rings around them in the case of reflective points of white), so I guess my repair (if there was one) went without a hitch, and my camera seems to be in good shape.

Good luck with yours.

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D800, et al.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #534 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.