Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #5310
View in linear mode

Subject: "First outing with D5100 - SD card and battery errors" Previous topic | Next topic
Rich_GB Registered since 31st Jan 2012Tue 31-Jan-12 05:28 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"First outing with D5100 - SD card and battery errors"
Tue 31-Jan-12 05:30 PM by Rich_GB

GB

Hi everyone

First post here and completely new to dSLR cameras.

Just purchased a D5100/18-55VR kit and took it to a friend's wedding at the weekend for its first proper mission.

Very pleased with results, but on three occations during the day, had an error message saying 'no SD card present'. Problem was easily fixed by powering off and re-inserting the card. The card in question is a Durcell 16GB Cat 10, also on its first outing, and therefore untested.

In addition, after about 300 shots, I got an error saying something like 'battery too low...' (and missed the cake cutting shot as a result!). Surpised at this, I re-inserted the battery, and had the camera running normally for another 200 shots and some video clips.

I'm guessing these occurences are not normal, and I've not yet had a chance to test further.

However,
- Does anyone have similar experiences?
- Is this something I should take up with Nikon (the camera is just 2 weeks old now)?
- Is there any experience with the relatively new Duracell SD card capatibility.

Any advice to a newb appreciated. Thanks.

Richard

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: First outing with D5100 - SD card and battery error...
OldCodger
31st Jan 2012
MEMcD Moderator
31st Jan 2012
Daveecopping Silver Member
31st Jan 2012
creativeedgeimages Silver Member
01st Feb 2012
blw Moderator
01st Feb 2012
MEMcD Moderator
01st Feb 2012
timopa
01st Feb 2012
Rich_GB
01st Feb 2012
OldCodger
01st Feb 2012
jimmills Silver Member
01st Feb 2012
OldCodger
01st Feb 2012
creativeedgeimages Silver Member
04th Feb 2012
Rich_GB
04th Feb 2012
OldCodger
04th Feb 2012
MEMcD Moderator
04th Feb 2012

OldCodger Registered since 15th Oct 2011Tue 31-Jan-12 07:09 PM
557 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: First outing with D5100 - SD card and battery errors"
In response to Reply # 0

Sawbridgeworth Hertfordshire, GB

My first reaction is to say 'no' that is not correct and it does sound like a possible issue.
I know that sometimes the insertion of cards can be incorrectly done so that they do not seat correctly. Also that there are some cards on sale which are not what they claim to be.
You appear to be UK based and as the camera is still very new, (though approaching the first cut off point at about two weeks old) I would be wondering about contacting the seller as the first responsibility lies with them.
I would certainly ensure that the battery was correctly recharged, the card contacts were cleaned and that a real test shoot out was performed. If any issues then appear I would take action to reject the camera as not of merchantable quality and request a replacement of both the card and camera.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 31-Jan-12 09:10 PM
25886 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: First outing with D5100 - SD card and battery errors"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 31-Jan-12 09:13 PM by MEMcD

US

Hi Richard,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Sorry to hear of your problem.
The issues you list are not normal, though they are not uncommon either.
Make sure your camera has the latest firmware (version 1.01). Battery issues and Memory card issues are often corrected by installing the latest firmware.
Did you format the SD card in the camera before using it?
Keep in mind that formatting the card will delete any image files on the card, so make sure you download the images to your computer before you format the card.
Durcell memory cards are not listed in the Approved Memory Cards in the D5100 Users Manual (page 207). That said, most brands of memory cards will work without issue though to eliminate card issues, Nikon recommends using Approved cards.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Daveecopping Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2011Tue 31-Jan-12 11:04 PM
171 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: First outing with D5100 - SD card and battery errors"
In response to Reply # 2

Polegate, GB

How do Nikon inform the community when a previously unapproved memory card becomes approved?

Dave

creativeedgeimages Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Jan 2010Wed 01-Feb-12 01:28 AM
123 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: First outing with D5100 - SD card and battery errors"
In response to Reply # 3
Wed 01-Feb-12 01:29 AM by creativeedgeimages

US

As Marty stated, check to make sure you have the latest firmware update. I had a similar issue with the SD card not acting right, I did the firmware update and have had no issues since.

To check, go to menu> setup menu> firmware version> OK>
You should see, if you have the latest update:

A 1.01
B 1.01
L 1.003

Hope this helps.

----------------------------------------------
CEI

"Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo."

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Wed 01-Feb-12 06:34 AM
26651 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: First outing with D5100 - SD card and battery errors"
In response to Reply # 3

Richmond, US

> How do Nikon inform the community when a previously unapproved memory card becomes approved?

They don't, and it basically never happens.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 01-Feb-12 10:04 PM
25886 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: First outing with D5100 - SD card and battery errors"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Hi Dave,

>How do Nikon inform the community when a previously
>unapproved memory card becomes approved?

The list is almost never updated.
If Nikon does add new cards to the list, you will have to search the Nikon website to find it.

Best Regards,
Marty

timopa Registered since 27th Nov 2011Wed 01-Feb-12 06:39 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: First outing with D5100 - SD card and battery errors"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Link for D5100 firmware update --->
https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/50626

Rich_GB Registered since 31st Jan 2012Wed 01-Feb-12 08:02 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: First outing with D5100 - SD card and battery errors"
In response to Reply # 6
Wed 01-Feb-12 08:03 AM by Rich_GB

GB

Many thanks to everyone who took the time to respond.

To answer some of the initial queries, the SD card was brand new and has been formatted in the camera.

The battery was fully charged as per the instruction manual prior to the first use.

Will check the firmware as suggested. I also have a Sandisk card from another camera so will check with that today.

The camera was purchased on 21 Jan 2012. 'OldCodger' mentioned a 2-week cut-off point. Can anyone explain what this relates to?...and Yes I'm in the UK.

Thanks again
Richard

OldCodger Registered since 15th Oct 2011Wed 01-Feb-12 08:33 AM
557 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: First outing with D5100 - SD card and battery errors"
In response to Reply # 7

In the UK a shop or supplier has the responsibility for ensuring that things that you buy are of good and suitable quality. This means that you can reject an item as not being of merchantable quality if it fails to perform correctly shortly after purchase and either demand a replacement or your money to be returned. This is not the same as a guarantee. I am not sure that there is a formal statement of two weeks but generally if an item does not function after it has been received and you have had enough time to examine it and try it out then your right to return it as above become more or less absolute. After that settling in period the shop may have other options, e.g. adjustment or repair. I believe that the 14 days may be associated with mail order rules, but cannot state that with total certainty.
The comment from others about the firmware update is certainly a valid one. Sometimes difficulties are found with goods after their release and as the firmware is a standard update process you may not be on totally firm ground to reject the item if it has not had an available update applied, if that update should correct the issue you face.
There have been several threads about updating the firmware on this site. There are a few things to consider, always make sure that you use a freshly formatted blank cad and that the updates are placed in the root level of the card. Others have already written about the process, the 5100 has two parts to the update and both have to be performed for reliable operation. However, each has to be done separately. Do A then B reformatting the card between each update. After each update do leave the camera enough time to fully complete the process and do ensure that the battery is fully charged before attempting the operation.
It might feel a little daunting if you are doing it for the first time.
However before going into that operation do make sure of the present revision level, if the camera is already up to date then it sounds to me as though it is/may be faulty.
Nikon do publish lists of approved cards and the list is 'sometimes' updated. The list can be found on their website, but often it only covers a small fraction of the available cards on the market. I am not sure but it 'might' be that a non approved card could cause some question over a complaint. However, the market moves on and 'usually' cards of more modern and higher performance will function correctly. I have an old Coolpix into which I recently inserted a card far larger than those available at the time the camera was made and larger than anything listed for use; it operated without problems.
However, another caveat, as I said before there have been some counterfeit cards on the market. They are hard to spot and there are other postings on this site about them. It is not fair to cite makers whose products have been counterfeited, it is not the maker who has made the fraud. I only mentioned it as a possible issue, not as a most likely cause.
Richard

jimmills Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Dec 2010Wed 01-Feb-12 12:35 PM
119 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: First outing with D5100 - SD card and battery errors"
In response to Reply # 8

Fort Walton Beach, FL, US

I have not had the battery problem but I did have the card problem. My D5100 simple would not recognize the card most of the time. I updated the firmware and this cured the problem. However, I did not have two separate updates to perform. One update action updated both A and B. In fact, the info on the Nikon site informed me that both A and B would be updated at the same time.

Jim

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

OldCodger Registered since 15th Oct 2011Wed 01-Feb-12 12:46 PM
#10. "RE: First outing with D5100 - SD card and battery errors"
In response to Reply # 9

If I confused the update process I am sorry, the actual Nikon instructions for each model should of course be followed exactly.
Some updates do require a double update. The last one I checked was for the D200 that does require a two pass update, my D7000 did not.
I guess that Nikon have changed and sharpened up the processes over different releases.
What I really wanted to clarify was the need to place the file in the card's root and to follow the exact process steps laid down by Nikon.
Any digression can result in the upload not working.
Above all make sure you use a freshly charged battery and do not stop the process while it is running.
A beverage of your choice, (tea, coffee or whatever) is a wise companion while the work is done!

creativeedgeimages Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Jan 2010Sat 04-Feb-12 12:42 AM
123 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: First outing with D5100 - SD card and battery errors"
In response to Reply # 10

US

So......Did you update the firmware? If so did it take care of your SD card issue?

----------------------------------------------
CEI

"Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo."

Rich_GB Registered since 31st Jan 2012Sat 04-Feb-12 08:04 AM
#13. "RE: First outing with D5100 - SD card and battery errors"
In response to Reply # 12

GB

Hi again

I played safe and took the camera back for an exchange/refund.

To my amazement the store had received some stock and was able to give me a replacement. The new D5100 has come with the latest firmware already onboard (as detailed in another post above).

I have not had a chance to test extensively, but 50 or so test shots have not revealed any problems at all.

I guess there may be some interest in these cheap Duracell SD cards (GBP14 for 16GB Class 10, 30MB/s), so I'll report back after the weekend when I've had more chance to test everything.

Very pleased to have registered here. Thanks again to all

Richard

OldCodger Registered since 15th Oct 2011Sat 04-Feb-12 08:20 AM
#14. "RE: First outing with D5100 - SD card and battery errors"
In response to Reply # 13

Glad to know that the issue was hopefully resolved.
It might have been the update that was missing or something else, either way hopefully it is now working well and will give no further trouble.
Richard

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 04-Feb-12 02:58 PM
#15. "RE: First outing with D5100 - SD card and battery errors"
In response to Reply # 13

US

Hi Richard,

Glad to hear the shop Resolved your problem.
Thanks for the follow up.

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #5310 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.