nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D5000/D3000 series (Public) topic #5237
View in linear mode

Subject: "ViewNX2 Can't Find My D5100" Previous topic | Next topic
SandPatch   US  Registered since 08th Jan 2012 Fri 20-Jan-12 12:32 AM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"ViewNX2 Can't Find My D5100"

ViewNX2 cannot find my camera when I make the connection. Has anyone experienced this before? It's not the camera or the computer (running Windows Vista) because every other program finds my D5100 without any problems and I can work everything just fine. I'm running ViewNX2 Version 2.1.2

I'm sure I'm overlooking something, but I just can't see why this is happening. Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: ViewNX2 Can't Find My D5100 SandPatch
26th Jan 2012
Reply message RE: ViewNX2 Can't Find My D5100 JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit.
27th Jan 2012
     Reply message RE: ViewNX2 Can't Find My D5100 JJOC
01st Feb 2012
     Reply message RE: ViewNX2 Can't Find My D5100 SandPatch
02nd Feb 2012
     Reply message RE: ViewNX2 Can't Find My D5100 coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire”
06th Feb 2012

SandPatch   US  Registered since 08th Jan 2012 Thu 26-Jan-12 05:57 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: ViewNX2 Can't Find My D5100"
In response to Reply # 0

I think I partially figured this problem out. When I plug the camera into the computer, the usual Windows box appears to let me know that something has been plugged in. Within that box is a Nikon ViewNX2 choice and if I select it, all is well. I was opening ViewNX2 first and using ViewNX2 to find my camera and this doesn't work. So, problem solved for the most part.

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit.   Seattle, WA, US  Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006 Fri 27-Jan-12 04:54 AM
5455 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: ViewNX2 Can't Find My D5100"
In response to Reply # 1

Your better bet is to use an external card reader. They are faster, less error prone, and do not drain your camera battery.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

JJOC   US  Registered since 08th Jan 2012 Wed 01-Feb-12 06:17 PM
#3. "RE: ViewNX2 Can't Find My D5100"
In response to Reply # 2

I had a similar problem with my D3100 and my Mac. Turns out there is a problem with the cable. After trying to trouble shoot my USB ports, I started to remove the cable from the computer. When I touched the end of the cable that inserts into the camera, it was very warm to the touch. I have never had a cable do this before. When I put in the cable for my sony point and shoot, the software found the camera right away.

SandPatch   US  Registered since 08th Jan 2012 Thu 02-Feb-12 12:18 AM
#4. "RE: ViewNX2 Can't Find My D5100"
In response to Reply # 3

Thanks for the tips on downloading. I try to keep my pictures culled and downloaded to the computer (and backed up too) rather than allow them to pile up on the memory card. I probably do it too often, but it's safer and easier for me to stay organized.

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire”   McEwen, US  Nikonian since 30th Nov 2011 Mon 06-Feb-12 02:37 AM
3420 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: ViewNX2 Can't Find My D5100"
In response to Reply # 2

>Your better bet is to use an external card reader. They are
>faster, less error prone, and do not drain your camera
>battery.
>
>---------+---------+---------+---------+
>Joseph K
>Seattle, WA, USA
>
>D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm
>f/1.4 D,
>17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX
>

Good advice.

If you buy a new computer at some point, be sure to get one with a memory card reader built in. They are very handy.

working on it in Middle TN
Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS
Feisol CT3471 & Markins M20 ballhead

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D5000/D3000 series (Public) topic #5237 Previous topic | Next topic