Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #5232
View in linear mode

Subject: "Effects mode on the 5100 (HDR, miniature, etc)" Previous topic | Next topic
PeteinNYC Registered since 04th Oct 2011Thu 19-Jan-12 07:25 PM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Effects mode on the 5100 (HDR, miniature, etc)"

US

I am wondering if people have tips or tricks they can share from their experience with the HDR and miniature modes on the D5100? I realize that these modes are not necessarily the best way to get these effects, but I am curious how effectively people have utilized them!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

DavidN4 Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Nov 2011Fri 20-Jan-12 12:01 PM
268 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Effects mode on the 5100 (HDR, miniature, etc)"
In response to Reply # 0

Johns Creek, US

I haven't had the opportunity to use the minature in any decent way, but I like the HDR feature if I am shooting indoors with windows in the scene on a bright sunny day. It allows me to get correct exposure for all of the photo - not blowing out either. The HDR feature is not "painting-like".

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sun 22-Jan-12 01:26 PM
3034 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Effects mode on the 5100 (HDR, miniature, etc)"
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

Hello Pete,

The HDR feature is pretty good for getting details out of the shadows. Just don't over due it. I find 3 stops too much for most situations. Since the D5100 HDR feature only uses two exposures it will not give you artistic photos like 3, 5 or 7 exposures. But it does have its purpose.

As for the other modes I suggest you just start experimenting to find which modes you like best. I have only tried a couple modes once and find I really don't care for the results. But that's me. I prefer nice sharp natural looking photos.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

rgsindc Registered since 23rd Dec 2011Mon 23-Jan-12 02:00 PM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Effects mode on the 5100 (HDR, miniature, etc)"
In response to Reply # 2

US

If 2 exposures using "in camera" HDR is not sufficient, simply use "bracketing".......here you get 3 shots and can choose the exposure ranges. You then submit the 3 photos to any number of S/W packages that merge them into an awesome shot.

SandPatch Registered since 08th Jan 2012Thu 26-Jan-12 06:04 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Effects mode on the 5100 (HDR, miniature, etc)"
In response to Reply # 3
Thu 26-Jan-12 06:05 PM by SandPatch

US

I tried the miniaturizing feature and found that you have to have the subject matter in the horizontal center of the screen. I think this can be moved up or down however. I shot a miniaturized photo of houses on a lake, but the houses were not centered, so the water was miniaturized, but not the houses!

I also found that there's a edit feature to add sparkle to lights; it can be performed anytime after the photo is taken. I took some time exposures of our house in Christmas lights and it's a cool feature. You can also decide how many sparkle rays you want!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #5232 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.