nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #519
View in linear mode

Subject: "New to SLR,D5000,what do you think?" Previous topic | Next topic
Larry E30 Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 27th May 2009Tue 01-Sep-09 07:26 PM
2587 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"New to SLR,D5000,what do you think?"

US

1300 images and I'm still struggling...for overall good quality images.Seems to be a head hunt.Have maybe 5 good images.Truly-I'm fighting,struggling,frustrated and tired.I do NOT feel confident with this camera/SLR.So much adjusting,then it looks OK on the review - then get it on the computer ... feels like the struggle I had with my consumer P+S - but worse!,Better image quality with the SLR,but 10 times more OTHER struggles.I know I'm new to SLR,I was expecting SO much more , and to be blown away in a good way-RIGHT AWAY.Lately I feel like giving up with SLR-been fighting the tide too long.I'm going to hit 7 national parks over 17 days-soon,right now-I would be ashamed to take this camera.Maybe it's me, ANY NEW TO SLR / (D5000) PEOPLE STRUGGLING ? I'm getting 1 nice shot out of 50-100.I think the camera is good and I am not.(or prosumer cameras are awesome)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: New to SLR,D5000,what do you think?
thosmm
01st Sep 2009
Larry E30 Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
02nd Sep 2009
Drbee Silver Member
02nd Sep 2009
Larry E30 Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
02nd Sep 2009
Drbee Silver Member
02nd Sep 2009
briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills
02nd Sep 2009
thosmm
02nd Sep 2009
02nd Sep 2009

thosmm Registered since 12th May 2009Tue 01-Sep-09 07:49 PM
77 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: New to SLR,D5000,what do you think?"
In response to Reply # 0

Spring Hill, US

Larry,

Honestly, it sounds like you may be trying too hard.

You've tweaked this and that and still don't seem to be happy with your images. To me, they look like they're composed fairly well and focus seems to be working for you; which is more than I can say for half of the pictures in my family photo album.

Try something and see how it works for you.

Do not go into the menus and change anything at all. Go out in your back yard and pick a flower to take a picture of. Turn the knob on the top of the camera to the flower/closeup SCENE mode and take a picture of the flower.

Then change the SCENE mode to landscape and take a picture of the entire back yard. Compose and focus the way you normally do; just don't try to adjust or edit anything in the camera or on the PC.

Post those two images and tell us what you see that you don't like. It may be that your PC is set with the brightness too high, or your the color may be set too warm or cold.

See how those two pictures turn out. See if they are closer to what you want than what you've been getting. Then let us see if we see the same problems you do.

-TM-

Visit My webpage and gallery..

Larry E30 Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 27th May 2009Wed 02-Sep-09 12:12 AM
2587 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: New to SLR,D5000,what do you think?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

-TM- , first of all, thank you.In recent times,I told Nikonian that all my images on Nikonian were too bright.So I did adjust my desktop computer (did not calorbrate).All I put on was too bright - so I brightened my PC monitor (so as to match Nikonian - and the rest of the calibrated world), My yellow rose shot above - seems to match my PC screen nicely.--- OK,I did exactly as you said - overall I was prity impressed !These modes may be better for me to use at this point.But ALWAYS,ALWAYS I use "A" - apperature priority.Only complaint I have with these shots,(what I don't like),is I do need to use a smaller apperature,and maybe a higher ISO too, for a fast enough shutter speed.Some colors may be strong.-But I will use these modes to 'get back on the chart',or ...if I'm at all frustrated.Thank you ,here's the photos-first 2 are as you asked,same with the second two, then the third two.Flower-landscape x3 Larry

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)
Attachment #5, (jpg file)
Attachment #6, (jpg file)

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004Wed 02-Sep-09 02:07 AM
5837 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: New to SLR,D5000,what do you think?"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi,

First the bad news. DSLRs can be complicated. Next the good news.... your's has Auto mode - that makes it a P&S.

You should first try to understand lighting and exposure. While you are doing that, never adjust more than one parameter at a time and in the process make sure you understand exactly what that adjustment is doing. That adjustment then becomes a tool in your DSLR tool-kit for solving some future problem as well as giving you the result you want at the moment. You could take this same discipline with a P&S camera, some cameras even allow for it easily; in the process your P&S images get better also. However a DSLR does not make you a better photographer or automagically deliver better images. When used right the DSLR delivers superb images.

You cannot adjust more than one parameter at once and expect to achieve repeatable results. Repeatable results lead to desired and expected results.

Of the images directly above, IMO there is nothing wrong with the exposure and the intensity on my very poorly calibrated screen is acceptable - I'm working from a "junk" laptop tonight. However, the first, second, fourth and sixth image are taken under very undesirable condition. The light is harsh and very contrasty. You and the camera did an acceptable job of dealing with the overall exposure, but because of the harsh light, they really need some point of interest. In the first, the lower right hand corner - just the purple flower cropped might be a start.

There is nothing wrong with visiting 17 capitals in 17 days using automatic. The adjustments on the camera are only for making the image better in a controlled way. Before you start making adjustments, have a plan for the problem you are trying to solve or the image quality you are trying to achieve before making the change and then determine if that worked.

My daughter uses a D5000, my wife a D70s; both use automatic mode or some of the other scene modes frequently. Their results are excellent. When they vary from automatic it is to solve a specific problem. Usually in aperture preferred mode to control the DOF. They both are starting to understand the nuances of exposure control and the differences between matrix, center weighted and spot metering and the results of those exposure tools on the camera-determined exposure. I think that is essential, but is unlikely to lead to any short term improvements in your situation - possibly even more confusion as it takes time for these concepts to sink in.

Relax, figure out what you can't get when you use Auto and then try to solve that specific problem with more questions or experimentation what ever works fastet for you.

Best Regards,

Roger
It is still ISO, aperture and shutter speed, right?
"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment."

Larry E30 Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 27th May 2009Wed 02-Sep-09 04:17 AM
#4. "RE: New to SLR,D5000,what do you think?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Hi Roger,and thank you.Sounds like I need to go the way you said of your daughter and wife.Wow,I NEVER,NEVER use auto.But I am a beginer SLR user.!I will more be using dial modes,landscape,flower/close-up and no flash for inbetween stuff or just auto.But know,for me,in P+S or SLR photography,apperature (small) is my #1 concern.It has been a MUST in my life/photography.I love doing digital projection shows with music - so far 100% prosumer all in one cameras.I didn't know I'd be taking such I step back,I wanted to jump right in to the depthes of essance of photography,with higher quality images.I know BASIC photo education.Add P+S camera x time and much photography = me !!!.Light x camera meter = confusion for me.It will take time - I can't run with this SLR ,I'm stopped in my tracks,I have to LEARN to walk with it first.I thought I could 'run' with it.(I NEED SMALLER APPERATURES). -LINK for anyone who might want to see some of my (past photography)(sets). http://www.flickr.com/photos/34054411@N05/ Thank you to all and any (who put up with me) - I really hope and plan to do as good as I can in photography. Larry

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004Wed 02-Sep-09 02:10 PM
5837 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: New to SLR,D5000,what do you think?"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hi,

You are an excellent photographer, I like your flickr images a lot. IMHO you are not taking a step back, but acquiring a new, complex tool box. I don't know of anyone who makes a big technological change in their life that doesn't need some time to learn the tools.

Best Regards,

Roger
It is still ISO, aperture and shutter speed, right?
"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment."

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Wed 02-Sep-09 02:47 PM
29345 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: New to SLR,D5000,what do you think?"
In response to Reply # 4
Wed 02-Sep-09 07:50 PM by briantilley

Paignton, UK

Your posts are still quite painful to read, Larry. We've suggested before that you try to make better use of paragraphs, sentences and punctuation.

Doing so will likely attract more help and advice from our members

Thanks!

Getting back to the issues you have described in this and other threads, I tend to agree with others that you seem to be trying to over-complicate things. The D5000 is a very capable camera, even when left to its own devices in AUTO or one of the scene modes. Why not put everything back to the factory default settings and start from there? We'll still be here to help when you're ready to take the next step.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

thosmm Registered since 12th May 2009Wed 02-Sep-09 06:57 PM
77 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: New to SLR,D5000,what do you think?"
In response to Reply # 2

Spring Hill, US

Larry,

I understand your frustration. I've experienced exactly the same thing with my D5000. I expected to be able to take the skills I had developed as a film photographer and translate them directly to my new DSLR. It hasn't worked out that way.

As a film photographer, I was always in Aperture Priority mode to control Depth of Field and allowed the camera to choose the shutter speed to make the exposure acceptable. I've never done much action photography, but when I did, I'd go to Shutter Priority to freeze the action and let the camera handle the aperture.

With digital photography, the previously 'fixed' side of the exposure triangle (ISO) has been made a variable as well.

After dealing with the initial frustration of not being able to shoot the way I was used to shooting, I've adapted to use the tools the camera gives me. Those tools are the SCENE modes.

I learn from the SCENE modes by looking at the EXIF data to see what the camera did, and I've tried to duplicate that through in-camera settings and Manual Mode. I'm improving in that respect, but I still use the SCENE modes to get better pictures now, while I'm still learning.

What has changed from film to the DSLR is that film processing has been replaced by post processing. For snapshots, I've always been happy letting a lab do the processing, but for important pictures I've always done the film processing myself.

The same is true for digital. For 'normal' shots, I'm content to use the in-camera SCENE modes to produce JPG images that are more than acceptable.

When I want something special, I use the NEF images and process them with Lightroom and Photoshop. When I consider Lightroom and Photoshop as analogous to the darkroom, I can use tools to achieve the same style that I had with film. Of course, as I learn more about it, I can do much more than I ever could with film.

This brings me to what I consider the most important component of an image. If your image is composed and exposed properly, you have a great starting point. If they aren't, you have to do much more to achieve the same level of results if you even can.

Regards,

-TM-

Visit My webpage and gallery..

Larry E30 Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 27th May 2009Wed 02-Sep-09 11:43 PM
#8. "RE: New to SLR,D5000,what do you think?"
In response to Reply # 7

US

OK , I think I'm catching on ...

-TM- , Thank you for your responce,I know these take time effort and willingness to (help).

I will use the 'new tools of' SCENE MODE. And if I don't - frustration will bring me back to SCENE modes.

Brian , thanks for your patience with me.

I did not catch on , understand about my posts until your last post ... then 'seeing' -TM-'s post : with all the thoughts separated.Then I 'saw' it in your post !

Also know my spelling is terrible.On emails I can spell-check.

A friend just showed me how to have space - a blank line between thoughts.

I'll try to have (simplier,kinder,less painful) posts. , Larry

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #519 Previous topic | Next topic