Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #514
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon D3000" Previous topic | Next topic
Mena00 Registered since 30th Aug 2009Mon 31-Aug-09 10:45 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon D3000"

US

Just placed my order for the new D3000. Release date is sept 6th according to bestbuy. Cant wait

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon D3000
briantilley Moderator
01st Sep 2009
MEMcD Moderator
01st Sep 2009
jgailey11
01st Feb 2010
Asgard Administrator
01st Sep 2009
Mena00
03rd Sep 2009
jernut
03rd Sep 2009
distracted
05th Sep 2009
jernut
05th Sep 2009
Mena00
05th Sep 2009
Laura B
18th Sep 2009
jernut
18th Sep 2009
Laura B
18th Sep 2009
Laura B
18th Sep 2009
MEMcD Moderator
18th Sep 2009
Mena00
22nd Sep 2009
raygan
14th Oct 2009
doctorcosmo
16th Oct 2009
speed1
26th Oct 2009
MarkRJenkins
01st Nov 2009
ladyeclectic
03rd Dec 2009
MEMcD Moderator
03rd Dec 2009
ladyeclectic
03rd Dec 2009

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Tue 01-Sep-09 10:28 AM
28687 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon D3000"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

Congratulations on your upcoming camera, and welcome to Nikonians

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 01-Sep-09 08:09 PM
25592 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon D3000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Mena,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Congratulations on your new D3000!
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

jgailey11 Registered since 01st Feb 2010Mon 01-Feb-10 01:59 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Nikon D3000"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi... Just ordered my D3000 with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR and 55-200mm f4-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lenses and tri-pod. Mind you I am not panic'n yet.. but my first shoot will be at my wedding. It will be indoors at a cabin in the mountains.. high ceiling and lots of light. Any setting/lens suggestions would be appreciated..

Regards,

Joe

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Tue 01-Sep-09 09:00 PM
50050 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon D3000"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 01-Sep-09 09:01 PM by Asgard

East Frisia, DE

Welcome to Nikonians, Mena

Thanks for joining us and congratulations on your new D3000.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

Mena00 Registered since 30th Aug 2009Thu 03-Sep-09 03:39 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon D3000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Thank you all

jernut Registered since 29th Aug 2009Thu 03-Sep-09 06:16 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nikon D3000"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Congratulations. I just bought a D3000 as well. I am hoping to have mine by September 5th. I'll report back with my thoughts.

distracted Registered since 15th Nov 2005Sat 05-Sep-09 01:17 PM
430 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nikon D3000"
In response to Reply # 5

US

It is in stock at Best Buy now and has been for several days. Unless there is a hold until a certain date on it...we got them in mid week last week.

Beth

Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jernut Registered since 29th Aug 2009Sat 05-Sep-09 04:16 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Nikon D3000"
In response to Reply # 6

US

I just got my D3000 yesterday. I am new to DSLR's, so I am not the best to judge. It is everything that I was hoping to be. Ill post some pictures when I get some good ones.

Mena00 Registered since 30th Aug 2009Sat 05-Sep-09 08:18 PM
#8. "RE: Nikon D3000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Yup i got mine yesterday also

Laura B Registered since 14th Sep 2009Fri 18-Sep-09 04:36 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Nikon D3000"
In response to Reply # 8

US

I'm hoping to hear more about the D3000 before my time is up (to return it). I got mine a few days ago at Best Buy, but I'm not convinced it's the camera for me.

I only do macro photography... and although I'm not an SLR newb, I am just not into a big learning curve at this point (had been considering the D90)... but I'm not pleased with my photos so far, so I need to see if it's user inability or just not the right camera for me.

jernut Registered since 29th Aug 2009Fri 18-Sep-09 04:43 PM
#10. "RE: Nikon D3000"
In response to Reply # 9

US

I am new to photography and DSLR's. Here is a link to my flickr acount. Tell me what you think.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jernut/

Laura B Registered since 14th Sep 2009Fri 18-Sep-09 05:02 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Nikon D3000"
In response to Reply # 10

US

Great photos! This one (Nathan James Kitlas) is super funny/cool.

Can I use standard html in here to try to show you my attempts?

Laura B Registered since 14th Sep 2009Fri 18-Sep-09 05:16 PM
#12. "RE: Nikon D3000"
In response to Reply # 10

US

BTW, my current problem has to do with (hopefully just something I don't understand) the camera's abililty to either have MACRO setting on... or have APERTURE PRIORITY setting on.

What happens if I want my aperture set to F25, but want to shoot in macro made?

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 18-Sep-09 08:16 PM
25592 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Nikon D3000"
In response to Reply # 12

US

Hi Laura,

Welcome to Nikonians!

The Macro Mode on the D3000 or any DSLR is one of the Vari-Program (Pictogram) exposure modes. It will configure the camera settings to the most commonly used settings for Macro photography. The Vari-Program modes are there to provide the novice with the ability to capture a great image without thought letting the camera do all of the work. Vari-Program and Auto mode can be discribed as (Dummy Mode) for lack of a more politicly correct term.

In Aperture (A) priority mode you are taking control of the aperture and allowing the camera to control the shutter speed to provide a properly exposed image.
Are you using Manual ISO or Auto ISO?

Macro photography is usually done using a macro (Micro in Nikon speek) lens, Extension Tubes, Bellows, etc. Using Manual focus with the camera on a tripod for best results. At macro distances the DOF can be very narrow even at very small apertures.

Your Equipment tab in your User profile is blank. When you have a little time please fill it in. It will help us to answer your questions better. Thanks in advance.

My guess is you are using the kit lens hand held with AF on. Shooting at f/22 you will require a lot of light to and or very high ISO to provide a shutter speed high enough to prevent blur due to camera shake.
What Shutter speed and ISO were you using (Was the camera choosing)?
If the ISO was high part of the problem could be digital noise.
The Rule of thumb for Minimum Shutter Speed is:
Min. Shutter Speed = 1/ 1.5 x focal length of the lens.

Best Regards,
Marty

Mena00 Registered since 30th Aug 2009Tue 22-Sep-09 09:05 AM
#14. "RE: Nikon D3000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

have been using the D3000 for almost a month now, here is some of my shots...let me know what you guys think.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mena00/

raygan Registered since 14th Oct 2009Wed 14-Oct-09 06:24 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Nikon D3000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

New owner too, have it for about a month now.

Needed for our Australian Trip (Melbourne, Alice Springs, Cairns & Sydney). Armed with the basic kit, 1 extra spare battery, 4GB SDHC and a netbook for storage and came back with 16GB of pictures, which I have been sorting for a week.

Very amateur/hobby and so far still learning. Gallery here at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/53161868@N00/

on my wishlist: (please recommend)
SB-400
55-200mm lens and a short wide lens for indoors occassions
filters

does this camera take one those battery that goes outside the body btw, like the pros do?

doctorcosmo Registered since 16th Jul 2004Fri 16-Oct-09 01:29 PM
99 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Nikon D3000"
In response to Reply # 15

Lancaster County, PA,USA, US

Hi Ray, congrats on the new camera, nice pics in your gallery.A SB400 flash is a good choice for the d3000, I have one and like it. The 55-200 vr is the perfect addition to what you have now. As far as the external battery/grip, they are just starting to surface, I think the one for the d40/d60 will fit but I may be wrong....i'm not the guy to ask about the filters but maybee someone else here can add his input......best to you, carl

cvmdc

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

speed1 Registered since 25th Oct 2009Mon 26-Oct-09 09:21 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Nikon D3000"
In response to Reply # 16

MT

I have just bought a new D3000 today for replacing my F90.I have a new Sigma 70-300mm APO Macro zoom and the autofocus does not work with the D3000,but does all other functions work well like metering etc?In low light the camera is the worsth but i think with some settings and knowledge it can be better.Please correct me if i'm wrong.Thanks for any input.

MarkRJenkins Registered since 06th Oct 2009Sun 01-Nov-09 04:57 PM
#18. "RE: Nikon D3000"
In response to Reply # 17

US

I bought a D3000 a couple of weeks ago as a smaller companion for my D300, I got if from Cameta via Ebay so I could get only the body as I have no need for the kit lens right now.

>I have just bought a new D3000 today for replacing my F90.I
>have a new Sigma 70-300mm APO Macro zoom and the autofocus
>does not work with the D3000,but does all other functions work
>well like metering etc?

I just tried mine with my Sigma 28-105D which is probably of a similar vintage to your 70-300 (I bought it to go with my N90s), and while autofocus does not work the focus indicator in the viewfinder does (the green dot lower left when the lens is focused), also all of the metering modes appear to work fine too.

>In low light the camera is the worsth
>but i think with some settings and knowledge it can be
>better.Please correct me if i'm wrong.Thanks for any input.

What problems are you seeing in low light? I took mine trick or treating last night and managed to get some pretty good shots using only it and the 18-70 AF-S kit lens from a D70.

ladyeclectic Registered since 01st Dec 2009Thu 03-Dec-09 03:59 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Nikon D3000"
In response to Reply # 0

Central California, US

I just got a D3000 as my first digital camera, and right off the bat found the kit lens(es) weren't up for what I wanted. I like night photography, and the aperture settings on my 18-55mm and 55-200mm Nikkor AF-S DX lenses (I believe 4.0-5.6) wasn't enough to let enough light in. I've got a 50mm f/1.8 on order I hope will become my go-to lens for most shots (I was using the 55mm setting on both original lenses), and am looking forward to playing with it.

The pictures the D3000 takes are LIGHT YEARS ahead of the little point-and-click Olympus I had before. Much better color and detail definition - it just makes me very happy. I'm still playing around with it (hope to try some bokeh stuff with the 50mm on the way) and learning the settings, but once I got used to having to look through the peephole and turned off the auto settings, the camera really came alive.

Now to figure out HDR photography and photo effects with filters. It's just the beginning of a wonderful journey in my eyes.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 03-Dec-09 06:14 PM
#20. "RE: Nikon D3000"
In response to Reply # 19

US

Hi Sarah,

You might find the following article on hand holdong technique hepful: http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/guides/technique/handholding1.html
Using the viewfinder helps stabilize the camera thus reducing blur due to camera shake.

Best Regards,
Marty

ladyeclectic Registered since 01st Dec 2009Thu 03-Dec-09 06:31 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Nikon D3000"
In response to Reply # 20

Central California, US

No it's wasn't the camera or handholding (since the camera was perfectly stable with the lens VR settings turned off), the lens just wasn't focusing on the barn while zoomed all the way to the top (in this case 55mm). I'd had no problems when I had it zoomed to maybe 35, it came out focused (although perhaps still a bit dark, I'm still working with the camera), but that setting wasn't working no matter what I did, it just didn't like focusing that fine with it zoomed in as much. It could certainly have been my own error but I probably just won't do night photography at the top range of any lens' zoom from now on, just on principle (unless proven otherwise).

Thanks for the link though, heading over there now to read it!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #514 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.