Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #5108
View in linear mode

Subject: "A New User Trying to Figure out the Dirt on Dust " Previous topic | Next topic
fanautical Registered since 04th Aug 2011Wed 11-Jan-12 04:33 AM
57 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"A New User Trying to Figure out the Dirt on Dust "

Margate, US

I have two problems that I believe are seperate but similar and I'm trying to get a handle on them here. I've had a D3000 since July 2011 which is now showing signs of dust on the sensor (black spots coming up in the same place on images given the right backgrounds). That I understand is dust on the sensor and I have three such spots on my images when I use my 18-55 kit lens, but they vanish when I use my 55-300mm lens, I guess focal length does sometihng to make them vanish, but whenever I change back to 18-55 the spots return. So the question is, any recommendations on a good video to watch on how to get this foul dust off of my sensor so I don't have to send the camera away for a few weeks and hope it doesn't come back with something else wrong with it? (I can't be without it that long!) Possibly I can find a camera shop within driving distance that can take care of this for me if I decide the procedure is too much for me, but I want to just look at it first.

Also there appears to be a few specks of something behind my viewfinder. I know it's behind the viewfinder and not dust on the sensor because it does not show up on any images (thank goodness) and is visible with either lens. I've wiped down the viewfinder many times, I mean this camera goes out to the beach and bay a lot, but I take better care of my camera than some people take of their kids, it gets wiped down every time it goes out, because I live on a barrier island there's always salty air out there. I can't get this stuff out of the viewfinder, it looks like specks of lint or something. Any ideas on what I can do to remove it? Also, I'd like to use the viewfinder cover (that little thing that goes on the viewfinder) when I put the camera into the camera bag to prevent more of this junk from getting in the viewfinder, but I can't even figure out how to put the viewfinder cap on it.

Please help and thanks in advance.
-Maureen

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: A New User Trying to Figure out the Dirt on Dust
fanautical
11th Jan 2012
JosephK Silver Member
11th Jan 2012
fanautical
13th Jan 2012
blw Moderator
11th Jan 2012
fanautical
13th Jan 2012
Leonard62 Gold Member
13th Jan 2012
fanautical
14th Jan 2012
Leonard62 Gold Member
14th Jan 2012
fanautical
15th Jan 2012

fanautical Registered since 04th Aug 2011Wed 11-Jan-12 04:36 AM
57 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: A New User Trying to Figure out the Dirt on Dust "
In response to Reply # 0

Margate, US

Also, the lint isn't from my cleaning cloth, I use a microfiber cloth and camera cleaning fluid, as a lifetime glasses wearer I'm kind of keen when it comes to the necessities of cleaning lenses.

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Wed 11-Jan-12 07:26 AM
4628 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: A New User Trying to Figure out the Dirt on Dust "
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

Copper Hill has some good tutorials and products.
http://www.copperhillimages.com/index.php?pr=tutorials

Cleaning the sensor is quite simple. If you have a tripod, that will free up and extra hand.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

fanautical Registered since 04th Aug 2011Fri 13-Jan-12 03:25 AM
#4. "RE: A New User Trying to Figure out the Dirt on Dust "
In response to Reply # 2

Margate, US

Thanks, I'll check it out.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Wed 11-Jan-12 11:46 AM
26783 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: A New User Trying to Figure out the Dirt on Dust "
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

You really need to learn how to clean it yourself, since it can pick up dust within about an hour in the wrong situation... and in a day or so in the right situation... Dust is pretty much EVERYWHERE, unless you live in an environment that requires bunny suits (like folks who fab chips, etc). From what I remember, there are about a million dust particles per cubic foot of air. Maybe it was per cubic meter, but either way it's a lot.

The first time is always a little nerve wracking, but I really don't know of anyone that has goofed it up any worse than needing to do it again (by using too much fluid). If it were that hard, we'd surely hear about it occasionally.

As far as the viewfinder goes, that lint is probably on the focusing screen, below the pentamirror. That is, it's more accessible from the lens mount, and likely the best approach is to leave the focusing screen alone and just try to get it out with a rocket blower.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

fanautical Registered since 04th Aug 2011Fri 13-Jan-12 03:28 AM
#5. "RE: A New User Trying to Figure out the Dirt on Dust "
In response to Reply # 3

Margate, US

Thanks, it's something that yeah, I definitely have to learn because I really had the camera for only a little over a month in the summer when the first dust started showing up. Now it is three annoying dots, that I can elminate in Photoshop, but I'd just as soon have them gone because they're always there.

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Fri 13-Jan-12 12:55 PM
3200 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: A New User Trying to Figure out the Dirt on Dust "
In response to Reply # 5

Hatboro, Pa, US

Get the Giottos rocket blower as Brian suggested and use it frequently. Also make sure the Clean Image Sensor feature is turned on. This will dislodge dust on the sensor but still use the blower to get it out of the camera. Also never touch the sensor, mirror or focusing screen with a brush or anything else. These components are delicate and can be easily scratched.

Jersey shore? neat. Show us some photos. I don't drive down as much as I used to. Had a place in Avalon. Miss it.

Len

fanautical Registered since 04th Aug 2011Sat 14-Jan-12 06:50 AM
#7. "RE: A New User Trying to Figure out the Dirt on Dust "
In response to Reply # 6

Margate, US

Yeah that's the only thing I'm worried about when I work on very exacting things like this, whether I'm going to be able to keep my hand steady enough not to hit anything when I use the blower, it's something I'll just have to check out and see how comfortable I feel doing it on my own.

Pictures? I got tons of this place, I think I've mapped practically the entire perimeter of Absecon Island in any area safe enough to stand around with a DSLR and tripod, LOL. I'll put somre more up soon. Avalon's beautiful like Margate is, you can't beat the photographic opportunities here of the ocean and the bay.

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sat 14-Jan-12 02:42 PM
3200 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: A New User Trying to Figure out the Dirt on Dust "
In response to Reply # 7

Hatboro, Pa, US

>Yeah that's the only thing I'm worried about when I work on
>very exacting things like this, whether I'm going to be able
>to keep my hand steady enough not to hit anything when I use
>the blower, it's something I'll just have to check out and see
>how comfortable I feel doing it on my own.
>

You don't have to put the blower inside the body at all. There is plenty of forced air to just aim it at the sensor with the mirror in the lock up, cleaning, position. Then just squeeze the bulb. Nothing to worry about.

Len

fanautical Registered since 04th Aug 2011Sun 15-Jan-12 04:49 AM
#9. "RE: A New User Trying to Figure out the Dirt on Dust "
In response to Reply # 8

Margate, US

Ok, that makes me feel more comfortable about trying it, I just got to order one of those rocket blower things, wait for it to show up and then I'll try this. Fortunately the D3000 does have mirror lock up for the purposes of cleaning it only so that should make things easier. I can also set it up on a tripod to free up a hand. Ok, this sounds like something I should be able to handle, not too complicated, and then I won't have to worry anymore when it gets dusty again.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #5108 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.