nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

A New User Trying to Figure out the Dirt on Dust

fanautical

Margate, US
57 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
fanautical Registered since 04th Aug 2011
Wed 11-Jan-12 04:33 AM

I have two problems that I believe are seperate but similar and I'm trying to get a handle on them here. I've had a D3000 since July 2011 which is now showing signs of dust on the sensor (black spots coming up in the same place on images given the right backgrounds). That I understand is dust on the sensor and I have three such spots on my images when I use my 18-55 kit lens, but they vanish when I use my 55-300mm lens, I guess focal length does sometihng to make them vanish, but whenever I change back to 18-55 the spots return. So the question is, any recommendations on a good video to watch on how to get this foul dust off of my sensor so I don't have to send the camera away for a few weeks and hope it doesn't come back with something else wrong with it? (I can't be without it that long!) Possibly I can find a camera shop within driving distance that can take care of this for me if I decide the procedure is too much for me, but I want to just look at it first.

Also there appears to be a few specks of something behind my viewfinder. I know it's behind the viewfinder and not dust on the sensor because it does not show up on any images (thank goodness) and is visible with either lens. I've wiped down the viewfinder many times, I mean this camera goes out to the beach and bay a lot, but I take better care of my camera than some people take of their kids, it gets wiped down every time it goes out, because I live on a barrier island there's always salty air out there. I can't get this stuff out of the viewfinder, it looks like specks of lint or something. Any ideas on what I can do to remove it? Also, I'd like to use the viewfinder cover (that little thing that goes on the viewfinder) when I put the camera into the camera bag to prevent more of this junk from getting in the viewfinder, but I can't even figure out how to put the viewfinder cap on it.

Please help and thanks in advance.
-Maureen

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: A New User Trying to Figure out the Dirt on Dust

G