nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #509
View in linear mode

Subject: "d3000 & autofocus on sigma lens" Previous topic | Next topic
heyhey Registered since 31st Aug 2009Mon 31-Aug-09 09:27 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"d3000 & autofocus on sigma lens"

US

Is the D3000 compatible with a Sigma 28-105, 3.8-5.6 Aspherical IF lens?

I understand that the D40, 50 & 60 won't autofocus the Sigma.

Preparing to buy a Nikon DSLR & want to use this lens, if possible.

Thanks.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: d3000 & autofocus on sigma lens
thosmm
31st Aug 2009
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
31st Aug 2009
thosmm
31st Aug 2009
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
31st Aug 2009
heyhey
01st Sep 2009
     Reply message which Nikon to buy?
heyhey
03rd Sep 2009
          Reply message RE: which Nikon to buy?
thosmm
10th Sep 2009
RWCooper Silver Member
11th Sep 2009
blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
16th Sep 2009

thosmm Registered since 12th May 2009Mon 31-Aug-09 11:10 PM
77 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: d3000 & autofocus on sigma lens"
In response to Reply # 0

Spring Hill, US

Neil,

The best way to think about Nikon D3000 and D5000 lens compatibility is that if it will work on a D40, it will work on the D3000 and D5000. If it won't work on a D40, it won't work on the D3000 or D5000.

For Nikon lenses, the D3000 and D5000 require AF-S lenses for autofocus capability.

For Sigma lenses, the D3000 and D5000 require an HSM lens for autofocus.

I'm not sure of the nomenclature of the Tamron or Tokina lenses, but they would require the equivalent of Nikon AF-S to autofocus with these cameras.

Sorry,

-TM-

Visit My webpage and gallery..

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 31-Aug-09 11:34 PM
27047 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: d3000 & autofocus on sigma lens"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Hi Thomas,

There are Sigma lenses with built in focusing motors for Nikon cameras that do not have HSM (Hyper Sonic Motor). The Sigma APO 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG MACRO for Nikon is an example. It will AF when mounted on a D40/D40X/D60/D3000/D5000 body.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

thosmm Registered since 12th May 2009Mon 31-Aug-09 11:41 PM
77 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: d3000 & autofocus on sigma lens"
In response to Reply # 2

Spring Hill, US

Marty,

Thanks for the correction.

-TM-

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 31-Aug-09 11:44 PM
27047 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: d3000 & autofocus on sigma lens"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Neil,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Check the pinned link 4th down from the top on the D3000/D5000 Users Group page. Here is a link: http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=312&topic_id=37&mesg_id=37&page=
As you can see, that lens will not AF on a D40/D40X/D60/D3000/D5000 body. If you have the lens already it will work perfectly on a D90 or a used D50/D70/D70S or D80, all of which have focusing motors built into the camera body.
If you are transitioning from a film body, you might find that 28mm may be a little long on a DX body. A 28mm lens on a DX body will have the equivelent field of view of 42mm on film or FX body.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

heyhey Registered since 31st Aug 2009Tue 01-Sep-09 12:04 AM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: d3000 & autofocus on sigma lens"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Thanks for all the good, instant help everyone!

heyhey Registered since 31st Aug 2009Thu 03-Sep-09 03:51 AM
#6. "which Nikon to buy?"
In response to Reply # 5

US

OK, learned from you guys that if I want to use my Sigma 28-105, 3.8-5.6 lens on a Nikon digital SLR I'll need to get a D50/70/70s/80 or D90.

Working with a modest budget (imagine that). I see some 50s & 70s advertised for approx $300 and may go that route.

However, I see the D40 at Sears for $399 with an 18-55 lens. It'd be nice to have new + warranty.

I know I'd have to manually focus the Sigma 28-105, but I'll probably buy a 300mm lens in the near future.

My question is whether the D40 will limit my future lens choices much. Or perhaps drive my future lens prices way up.

Any opinions on whether it's better to go with a 3-4 year old D50 or D70 or just buy the new D40?

Thanks much.

thosmm Registered since 12th May 2009Thu 10-Sep-09 08:54 PM
#7. "RE: which Nikon to buy?"
In response to Reply # 6

Spring Hill, US

I know that folks who own older non AF-S lenses will have a different viewpoint, but the 'limitation' in lenses just means that you'll be using a newer lens instead of a 2 or 3 generation old lens. I may have missed one or two, but I don't see any recently released (1-2 years) Nikon, Sigma or Tamron lens that won't auto focus with a D40-D5000 camera. All of these companies have lenses that are older than AF-S that are still available as part of their product line; but that's really an artifact of the photography industry not being really up to speed with the rate of technological change.

In film camera days, a lens would be usable with a line of cameras for 20-50 years. Early manual focus lenses will work in fully manual mode on the newest film lenses. Even early Nikon F-mount manual lenses will work with Nikon digital cameras.

Nikon, unlike the -C- company, has never intentionally obsoleted their lenses. That has led to a somewhat skewed view that if you can't handle screw focus lenses that the camera is somehow inferior.

In attempting to respond to a market that is relentlessly driving features to lower price points, Nikon has chosen to separate their AF motors from the camera itself.

This is a trend that will continue. The only situation where it will cost more for a lens for a D40 is that you can't choose from 30+ years of AF lenses. You'll have to stick with newer AF-S (and compatible) lenses.

-TM-

RWCooper Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jul 2004Fri 11-Sep-09 06:37 PM
983 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: which Nikon to buy?"
In response to Reply # 6

Winnipeg, CA

Hi,

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that most lenses for Nikon DSLRs released in the future will have a built-in focusing motor.

Although I'd love to sell you my D70, I don't think it is the way to go. Mine is starting to develop problems and that would be my concern buying used.

Enjoy!

Randy

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Wed 16-Sep-09 01:43 PM
26906 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#9. "RE: which Nikon to buy?"
In response to Reply # 8
Wed 16-Sep-09 01:44 PM by blw

Richmond, US

I agree with Randy. I think it's extremely clear that Nikon has gone down the strategic path of built-in focusing motors. There hasn't been a new screwdriver AF lens from Nikon since July 2003 - the 10.5mm fisheye. Aside from that one, there has never been a DX lens without AFS, and furthermore every single other lens introduced by Nikon since September 2000 has had one form of AFS or another(*).

There are, however, a pretty fair number of current AF lenses that use screwdriver AF, including some of the best ones Nikon make: 85/f1.4, 105/f2, 135/f2, 200/f4 Micro, as well as some of the best value propositions: 50/f1.8 and 35/f2. If you think you'll be wanting one of these soon, a body with a focusing motor may be a good idea.

Finally, if you're enough of a value-hunter that you might opt for an older AF lens instead of a newer AFS one, again, the price differential may suggest a body with a motor. For example, if you're inclined to the 28-105/f3.5-4.5 AFD instead of something like the 24-70/f2.8 AFS (at a street price differential of around $1600), a somewhat more expensive body may look like a bargin. These two lenses aren't completely equivalent, but for some purposes it's an open question as to which is preferrable. And there are other examples; this isn't a one-off thing. Oh - another good example is the current 80-200/f2.8 AFD ($1000) vs the 70-200/f2.8 AFS VR-II ($2400). That's a big chunk of change difference for faster focusing and VR, but the older lens uses screwdriver AF.

Nikon feel that most users at the entry level of the range are fine with buying new glass from the AFS selection, and the popularity of these bodies suggests that they're right. But if you're in the groups described above, this might not be the right choice.

(*) Nit pick: that excludes the three perspective control lenses, which aren't even auto focus at all.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #509 Previous topic | Next topic