Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #5087
View in linear mode

Subject: "Using Old Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 Macro Lens With M2 Ring" Previous topic | Next topic
SandPatch Registered since 08th Jan 2012Sun 08-Jan-12 12:31 AM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Using Old Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 Macro Lens With M2 Ring"
Sun 08-Jan-12 12:32 AM by SandPatch

US

I recently purchased my very first digital camera -- a D5100. I've been having a great deal of fun with it and I've sadly shelved my N2020 which has served me with perfect performance for 25 years. When Kodak stopped production of Kodachrome, I began to think about making the step to digital photography and here I am.

So, to the point. One of my favorite old lenses is a Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 Maco with M2 Ring. It was converted to AI and mounts on my D5100 fine, but of course without any automatic features. I've had good success working with it in the D5100, but I am uncertain if I can also mount it with the M2 Ring.

Can I mount this lens with the M2 Ring attached? I haven't found documentation that is clear enough for me to trust. I don't want to do something stupid and ruin my lovely new D5100.

Thanks in advance for help y'all.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Using Old Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 Macro Lens With M2 Ring
Leonard62 Gold Member
08th Jan 2012
SandPatch
08th Jan 2012
SandPatch
13th Jan 2012
Leonard62 Gold Member
13th Jan 2012
SandPatch
04th Mar 2012

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sun 08-Jan-12 02:57 PM
2703 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Using Old Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 Macro Lens With M2 Ring"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 08-Jan-12 02:58 PM by Leonard62

US

I have the earlier 55mm f3.5 macro with the original M ring. Neither piece has been modified to AI and mount to my D5100 just fine. Actually one of the main reasons I have the D5100 is it's ability to mount non-AI lenses without doing damage. The only thing that gets damaged on Nikon bodies when using non-AI lenses is the little meter lever located just outside the chrome ring of the body mount. The D5100 as well as the D3000 series, D40 and D60 don't have this little lever so there isn't anything to break. This lever provides aperture information to the meter on AI, non-cpu lenses. That's why there is no metering with AI lenses on the D5100.

The M and the M2 extension tubes are identical in their function and are non-AI.

The M tube was supplied with the compensating 55mm f3.5 macro with metal focusing ring and chrome barrel with blue magnification scale. The tube had a chrome button body release and an effective aperture scale matched to the aperture line.

The M2 ring is the same as the M ring except it has the chrome release button replaced with a plastic slide button. The effective aperture scale has also been removed. The M2 ring replaced the M ring when Nikon changed the 55mm f3.5 macro lens focusing ring from metal to the diamond pattern rubber covered ring at some point in the early '70's. That lens was marked as a P where the earlier lens was not.

This morning I mounted my non-AI 55mm macro and M ring on my D5100 with no problem. And took a photo.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

SandPatch Registered since 08th Jan 2012Sun 08-Jan-12 05:30 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Using Old Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 Macro Lens With M2 Ring"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks VERY much Len -- that's exactly what I needed to know and I thank you as well for test fitting these on yout D5100. I also appreciate the history and detail about the lens and the ring.

The lens and ring were my Dad's and your mention of a date in the early 70's matches exactly as to when he probably purchased them. I think it's neat that a useful 40+ year old Nikon lens will mate with our new D5100s.

SandPatch Registered since 08th Jan 2012Fri 13-Jan-12 12:53 AM
#3. "RE: Using Old Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 Macro Lens With M2 Ring"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Update: I attached the M2 Extension Tube and sure enough, everything works great. It takes me perhaps four to six tries to get the settings perfect on a shot and the pictures look great.

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Fri 13-Jan-12 12:32 PM
2703 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Using Old Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 Macro Lens With M2 Ring"
In response to Reply # 3

US

That's great it's working out. I use manual focus lenses frequently with my D5100. After awhile you'll start getting good at guessing the correct exposure.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

SandPatch Registered since 08th Jan 2012Sun 04-Mar-12 11:30 PM
#5. "RE: Using Old Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 Macro Lens With M2 Ring"
In response to Reply # 4
Sun 04-Mar-12 11:39 PM by SandPatch

US

Here's a shot I took with my old Nikkor 55mm f.3.5 Macro AI with the M2 Ring mounted. The picture is straight from my D5100 without any enlargement, f22 @ 30 Seconds. Len is right -- it takes only a try to two to hit the correct exposure. These galled bolts are only 3/4" tall. I'm really pleased with the result and am so impressed that such old Nikon glass still mounts to their newest DSLRs and works so wonderfully!

You'll have to cut and paste the entire URL into your browser; I can't fugure out how to highlight the entire address.

http://blg.mypicturetown.com/cache/%3D.Oo8ueZF5DFY3LX_NqQmRzRPUjobL*7AsULl55hsgpP8Bo65NM6kmkE1hAd-v2/item.JPG?rot=1

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #5087 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.