Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #5051
View in linear mode

Subject: "Newbie Alert!! D3100 w/AFS 55-300 lens won't auto focus" Previous topic | Next topic
holtjv Registered since 02nd Jan 2012Mon 02-Jan-12 04:16 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Newbie Alert!! D3100 w/AFS 55-300 lens won't auto focus"

US

The subject says it all: I'm a newb!

I bought my wife and daughter matching D3100 kits and one Nikkor AFS 55-300 telephoto lens. The lens will not auto-focus and activate the shutter.

The switch on the lens is on "A", the VR is on, the AFS on the camera is on and the area setting is auto-area. I was outside in plenty of light.

The camera will shoot in manual mode.

I feel like there's a simple explanation and have scoured this board and others - any advice?

Thanks from sunny Austin!

jack

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Newbie Alert!! D3100 w/AFS 55-300 lens won't auto f...
MEMcD Moderator
02nd Jan 2012
holtjv
02nd Jan 2012
holtjv
02nd Jan 2012
MEMcD Moderator
03rd Jan 2012
holtjv
03rd Jan 2012
pjonesCET Gold Member
02nd Jan 2012
holtjv
03rd Jan 2012
fanautical
04th Jan 2012
holtjv
05th Jan 2012
qazdh
27th Mar 2012
coolmom42 Silver Member
27th Mar 2012
qazdh
28th Mar 2012

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 02-Jan-12 06:14 PM
25883 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Newbie Alert!! D3100 w/AFS 55-300 lens won't auto focus"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Jack,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Sorry to hear of your problem.
Is the lens fully seated and locked in the mount?
Check the AF mode set in the camera body and verify that it is in AF mode.
Set the AF Area mode to Single Point.
Then use a good AF target 10 or more feet away from you and give it a try.
Good luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

holtjv Registered since 02nd Jan 2012Mon 02-Jan-12 07:36 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Newbie Alert!! D3100 w/AFS 55-300 lens won't auto focus"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks Marty, will give it a try when she gets home with it. I know that I had the lens setting to AF and tried the AF Area to single point but will try again.

Thanks again.

holtjv Registered since 02nd Jan 2012Mon 02-Jan-12 08:43 PM
#4. "RE: Newbie Alert!! D3100 w/AFS 55-300 lens won't auto focus"
In response to Reply # 2

US

OK, I fixed it (believe it or not).

The problem was that it would never auto-focus (hunt) and activate the shutter.

I noticed the protruding level from her kit lens moved, which I assumed connected to the body's CPU for the auto-focus.

The little lever on the new lens was not moving. I realize I shouldn't have tried this, but I pulled just a bit and freed it from being stuck.

Works perfectly now.

Thanks again. J

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 03-Jan-12 12:36 AM
25883 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Newbie Alert!! D3100 w/AFS 55-300 lens won't auto focus"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hi Jack,

>I noticed the protruding level from her kit lens moved, which
>I assumed connected to the body's CPU for the auto-focus.

The lever that projects out of the back of the lens is the aperture stop down mechanism.

>The little lever on the new lens was not moving. I realize I
>shouldn't have tried this, but I pulled just a bit and freed
>it from being stuck.

If the aperture was stuck in the closed position, the viewfinder should be very dark. The Aperture diaphragm should only be stopped down when the DOF preview button is pressed (D3100 doesn't have one) or the shutter is open.

If it gets jammed again, you might want to return the lens to the retailer for exchange or send it to Nikon Service for repair.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

holtjv Registered since 02nd Jan 2012Tue 03-Jan-12 12:50 PM
#6. "RE: Newbie Alert!! D3100 w/AFS 55-300 lens won't auto focus"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Thanks Marty. I'm thinking the mechanism that was stuck was the one connected to the Auto-Manual switch on the lens. Seems like I "felt" it give way.

So I'll double check today that it's good to go - I have a suspicion that the switch to manual may not work.

Jack

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Mon 02-Jan-12 08:28 PM
556 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Newbie Alert!! D3100 w/AFS 55-300 lens won't auto focus"
In response to Reply # 0

Martinsville, US

If the auto focus works with both the 18-55 and the 55-200 Kit lens.
And, the 55-300 is properly seated until you hear a click and it locks in place. I'd say you have a Bad 55-300 lens and need to be returned to the dealer.

Also, is the 55-300 the same type DX VR lens as the 55-200? If it's not, then you have purchased the wrong type. You would need to return and get the exact same type as the 18-55 and th 55-200, except in the 55-300 version.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/
http://www.phillipjones-cet.net

holtjv Registered since 02nd Jan 2012Tue 03-Jan-12 12:52 PM
#7. "RE: Newbie Alert!! D3100 w/AFS 55-300 lens won't auto focus"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Thank you for replying! I did check that the autofocus worked with her 18-55 kit lens. But will probably take your advice and return it. It works, but it's obvious something was wrong with it.

fanautical Registered since 04th Aug 2011Wed 04-Jan-12 11:09 PM
57 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Newbie Alert!! D3100 w/AFS 55-300 lens won't auto focus"
In response to Reply # 0

Margate, US

Something is definitely wrong because I bought a 55-300 for my D3000 around black friday and it has been working perfectly since then. Should work absolutely fine with no problems. Don't forget though, unlike the kit lens, you need to be at least 4.5 feet away from your subject or it will not focus.
-Maureen

holtjv Registered since 02nd Jan 2012Thu 05-Jan-12 01:50 AM
#9. "RE: Newbie Alert!! D3100 w/AFS 55-300 lens won't auto focus"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Thank you for taking the time to reply! Jack

qazdh Registered since 26th Mar 2012Tue 27-Mar-12 02:42 AM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Newbie Alert!! D3100 w/AFS 55-300 lens won't auto focus"
In response to Reply # 0

Jakarta, ID

Hi,

I'm new to this and I have the same problem with the Autofocus. I'm using few different AF-S Lens with the same result.

It seem the that the focus motor always stop at the end of the run (Infinity) and cannot locked on the target, thus cannot release the shutter. This only happen when I use the View Finder

But the AF motor works fine and can focus on the target if I use the LIVE VIEW (LCD).

I tried the single point auto-focus, and I tried cleaning the contact but still cannot get the AF to focus on the target thru view finder.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Qaz

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 30th Nov 2011Tue 27-Mar-12 04:18 PM
2999 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Newbie Alert!! D3100 w/AFS 55-300 lens won't auto focus"
In response to Reply # 10

McEwen, US

>Hi,
>
>I'm new to this and I have the same problem with the
>Autofocus. I'm using few different AF-S Lens with the same
>result.
>
>It seem the that the focus motor always stop at the end of the
>run (Infinity) and cannot locked on the target, thus cannot
>release the shutter. This only happen when I use the View
>Finder
>
>But the AF motor works fine and can focus on the target if I
>use the LIVE VIEW (LCD).
>
>I tried the single point auto-focus, and I tried cleaning the
>contact but still cannot get the AF to focus on the target
>thru view finder.
>
>Any suggestions?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Qaz

You may be too close to your subject. That is the main reason AF won't work. Other reasons are low light, or a moving subject.

working on it in Middle TN
Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS
Feisol CT3471 & Markins M20 ballhead

qazdh Registered since 26th Mar 2012Wed 28-Mar-12 01:27 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Newbie Alert!! D3100 w/AFS 55-300 lens won't auto focus"
In response to Reply # 11

Jakarta, ID

Hi CoolMom42,

I'm quite a distance away from the target, and it is broad daylight.

I can focus it if I use the Live View, if I switch back to View Finder, it cannot focus correctly.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #5051 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.