Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4914
View in linear mode

Subject: "Just wanted to say Hi" Previous topic | Next topic
ACLineman Registered since 11th Dec 2011Sun 11-Dec-11 09:23 PM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Just wanted to say Hi"

US

Just ordered a Nikon D5100. Should be arriving Tues.

New to the "REAL" camera world.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Just wanted to say Hi
JonK Moderator
11th Dec 2011
Magnum164 Silver Member
11th Dec 2011
MEMcD Moderator
12th Dec 2011
ACLineman
15th Jan 2012
Magnum164 Silver Member
15th Jan 2012
ACLineman
15th Jan 2012
Magnum164 Silver Member
15th Jan 2012
ACLineman
15th Jan 2012
ACLineman
15th Jan 2012
Magnum164 Silver Member
15th Jan 2012
ACLineman
15th Jan 2012
Magnum164 Silver Member
15th Jan 2012
ACLineman
15th Jan 2012
ACLineman
16th Jan 2012
Magnum164 Silver Member
16th Jan 2012
rpeyret
08th Feb 2012
thecatmac
15th Feb 2012

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Sun 11-Dec-11 10:01 PM
4875 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Just wanted to say Hi"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

Welcome to Nikonians, Harry.
Enjoy your new D5100!

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

Magnum164 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jun 2011Sun 11-Dec-11 11:41 PM
106 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Just wanted to say Hi"
In response to Reply # 0

US

> Just ordered a Nikon D5100. Should be arriving Tues.
>
> New to the "REAL" camera world.

You will definitely like it. I upgraded from a D50 and now love taking pictures even more. It is that versatile.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 12-Dec-11 12:48 AM
26443 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Just wanted to say Hi"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Harry,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Congratulations on your new D5100.
When you get a few minutes please fill in your real last name in your User Profile. Thanks in advance.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

ACLineman Registered since 11th Dec 2011Sun 15-Jan-12 09:52 PM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Just wanted to say Hi"
In response to Reply # 3
Sun 15-Jan-12 09:54 PM by ACLineman

US

Thanks for the welcome folks !!

I got the new camera , have snapped some photo's and really like it!!

My wife & I are taking a night photography class at a local HS, trying to learn the ropes to get the most out of our new Nikon.

I have a few questions I hope someone here might be willing to help me out with.

1) I started this thread but cannot see the new topic thread tab to start a new one?

2)Before getting the D5100 I had found a great link (I think it was on the Nikon website) that showed video and a LOT of helpful tips on the operation and different functions of the camera. It was almost like a video format of the user manual with a male and female using the camera (VERY HELPFUL)
I am unable to find it now. Does ayone know if this located on the nikon site and if someone had the link that would be great.

3) After getting the camera I used a memory card I had with my other camera and it works great. However I wanted and purchased an 8GB SanDisk HD Extreme pro card, and it seems like every other time I go to use the camera or if the card has been removed and re-inserted, it say "No card detected". I have to remove it and stick it back in two or three times befre it recognizes the card. To me this is unacceptable. As you know you could miss some good photo oppurtunity's while fiddling around with a card.
I did format the card like it says in the manual, and I never get this message with my old card.
Any idea's, Defective card maybe?

Sorry for the longwinded questions and looking forward to spending some time learning about my Nikon here.

Harry

Magnum164 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jun 2011Sun 15-Jan-12 09:58 PM
106 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Just wanted to say Hi"
In response to Reply # 4

US

What firmware is your camera at. There was an update I believe that fixed that.

>Thanks for the welcome folks !!
>
> I got the new camera , have snapped some photo's and really
>like it!!
>
>My wife & I are taking a night photography class at a
>local HS, trying to learn the ropes to get the most out of our
>new Nikon.
>
>I have a few questions I hope someone here might be willing to
>help me out with.
>
>1) I started this thread but cannot see the new topic thread
>tab to start a new one?
>
>2)Before getting the D5100 I had found a great link (I think
>it was on the Nikon website) that showed video and a LOT of
>helpful tips on the operation and different functions of the
>camera. It was almost like a video format of the user manual
>with a male and female using the camera (VERY HELPFUL)
>I am unable to find it now. Does ayone know if this located on
>the nikon site and if someone had the link that would be
>great.
>
>3) After getting the camera I used a memory card I had with my
>other camera and it works great. However I wanted and
>purchased an 8GB SanDisk HD Extreme pro card, and it seems
>like every other time I go to use the camera or if the card
>has been removed and re-inserted, it say "No card
>detected". I have to remove it and stick it back in two
>or three times befre it recognizes the card. To me this is
>unacceptable. As you know you could miss some good photo
>oppurtunity's while fiddling around with a card.
> I did format the card like it says in the manual, and I never
>get this message with my old card.
>Any idea's, Defective card maybe?
>
>Sorry for the longwinded questions and looking forward to
>spending some time learning about my Nikon here.
>
>Harry
>

ACLineman Registered since 11th Dec 2011Sun 15-Jan-12 10:14 PM
#6. "RE: Just wanted to say Hi"
In response to Reply # 5

US

"Firmware" ?? Not sure.

I have 2 dics's that came with the camera. If that's what you mean, however I never installed them on my PC yet. Do I need to?

Are you talking about fixing the SD card message thing? If so just wondering why the old card never misses a beat but the new card gives me the message often.
Thanks

Magnum164 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jun 2011Sun 15-Jan-12 10:20 PM
#7. "RE: Just wanted to say Hi"
In response to Reply # 6

US

To confirm your firmware # do this:

Turn on the D5100
Press the MENU button and select Firmware Version from the setup menu. The camera's firmware version will be displayed.
Turn off the D5100

This link list's the firmware version. Have you ever upgraded a firmware in a device before? IT's easy. But make sure your battery is FULLY charged before starting (or at least 80%).

http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17547/~/d5100-firmware%3A-a%3A-1.0.1-%2F-b%3A1.01-upgrade

As for the card. There are some cards that the cameras where having a hard time reading, the extreme is probably one.

But check the firmware # and reply back.

ACLineman Registered since 11th Dec 2011Sun 15-Jan-12 11:03 PM
#8. "RE: Just wanted to say Hi"
In response to Reply # 7
Sun 15-Jan-12 11:05 PM by ACLineman

US

OK thank you.

I did what you said and here's what I found

under firmware version I got a list looking like this

A 1.00
B 1.00
L 1.003

Done OK

I didn't select anything. nor did I click Done or OK.

I just let it time out and return to my photo screen.

I've only had this camera about 3-4 weeks and never upgraded the firmware or was aware I need too. What is the purpose of this.

Thanks for the help.

PS,
When I went to check the firmware it said no SD card detected ..... Grrrr

ACLineman Registered since 11th Dec 2011Sun 15-Jan-12 11:16 PM
#9. "RE: Just wanted to say Hi"
In response to Reply # 8
Sun 15-Jan-12 11:16 PM by ACLineman

US

I looked at that link and it looks like there is a newere version 1.01 I might need to load. It looks like it might address the SD card issue.
Will wait for your reply.

PS,
From the directions on that site it mentions a card reader,,,etc on step #5 Not sure what that is.... I might be in trouble here, Oh boy : )

Magnum164 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jun 2011Sun 15-Jan-12 11:24 PM
#10. "RE: Just wanted to say Hi"
In response to Reply # 9

US

Think of firmware as the same as a patch for a software package on your computer. Every now and then its good to check and see what the updates are. I generally never update unless I have a problem. In this case that patch seems to address your issue and it is higher than what you have.

If you have a windows PC. read through that link on what to do under the windows section. Its real simple. You are simply going to transfer the bin file from what you download and onto the card.

Yes. You WILL need a card reader to transfer the file to. Don't copy it onto your camera using the USB connection. Buy a good card reader as you will want to use it to transfer pictures anyway - its faster.

ACLineman Registered since 11th Dec 2011Sun 15-Jan-12 11:32 PM
#11. "RE: Just wanted to say Hi"
In response to Reply # 10
Sun 15-Jan-12 11:34 PM by ACLineman

US

cr ap, Now I have to figure out what a card reader is and buy one ??

I am using a windows PC. Sorry for the dumb question but doesn't it (the PC) read the card when I plug it into the slot, and can it be used for this task?

I bought this camera on bestbuy.com do you think if I take it to them they will update the camera since he update was avialable in Nov and I bought it in Dec?

Worth a shot I guess, what do you think. I'd rather not have to buy something else. Heck I haven't even got my feet wet with this thing yet and already it's costing me more $$$$

Thanks again !!!

Magnum164 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jun 2011Sun 15-Jan-12 11:39 PM
#12. "RE: Just wanted to say Hi"
In response to Reply # 11

US

I train people for a living.. There is no such thing as a dumb question

A card reader lets your computer read and write directly to your memory card. Without needing the camera. Here is a link to the one I have. You do not need one this expensive, but I have several types of cards I use in other devices.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dynex%26%23153%3B+-+USB+2.0+All-In-One+Memory+Card+Reader/3152084.p?id=1218382969447&skuId=3152084&st=card%20reader&cp=1&lp=3

I would definitely go and talk to them. If anything ask them if they can show you how. At my local store, the guys in the camera department as surprisingly very familiar with the cameras and will take the time to walk you through the steps.

ACLineman Registered since 11th Dec 2011Sun 15-Jan-12 11:42 PM
#13. "RE: Just wanted to say Hi"
In response to Reply # 12
Sun 15-Jan-12 11:45 PM by ACLineman

US

Thank you.
I think I will take my gear to them and see what they say.

Any idea's about the Nikon D5100 on-line tutorial I found before and cannot locate now? I thught it was on the nikon website. It was REAL handy on how to operate the camera. I looked at it before I got the camera. Unfortuantly I didn't add it to my favorites and cannot find it now.....DOH !!

All the best !

ACLineman Registered since 11th Dec 2011Mon 16-Jan-12 01:04 AM
#14. "RE: Just wanted to say Hi"
In response to Reply # 13
Mon 16-Jan-12 01:50 AM by ACLineman

US

Last question for the evening.
I cannot find the spot in my profile where I can update or change my password.

Any help with that?

Magnum164 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jun 2011Mon 16-Jan-12 01:06 AM
#15. "RE: Just wanted to say Hi"
In response to Reply # 14

US

Nope sorry, can;t help there. Not sure where any videos are. Look in this forum for a D5100 guide in the thread topic. I prefer books myself.

rpeyret Registered since 08th Feb 2012Wed 08-Feb-12 08:14 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Just wanted to say Hi"
In response to Reply # 15

AR

Hi,
I believe this is the link you're looking for :
http://www.nikonusa.com/en_US/o/fMZVV67lYK5ioJrwanFGgpduihI/Video/Digitutor/index.html

Cheers!

Raph

thecatmac Registered since 26th Nov 2011Wed 15-Feb-12 09:41 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Just wanted to say Hi"
In response to Reply # 16

Southeast Michigan, US

Welcome....It's all on this site...
http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17547/~/d5100-firmware%3A-a%3A-1.0.1-%2F-b%3A1.01-upgrade

Just follow the directions, you will be fine. If you are afraid, either take it to your local camera shop and they will help you even if you didn't buy it there. They want your money on future camera items, but they will also be very helpful...
As far as the camera, I just got mine in December, updated the firmware and I use an eye-fi card so I never take the disk out of the camera, pictures go to my pc via wireless over my home network.. Really cool..

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4914 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.