Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4900
View in linear mode

Subject: "D5100 Multiple Exposure" Previous topic | Next topic
mackenzielea Registered since 10th Dec 2011Sat 10-Dec-11 01:21 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5100 Multiple Exposure"

US

I recently purchased the d5100, and am still learning how to use it. Does anyone know how to turn on the multiple exposure? Right now, it's set to "off", and whenever I try to select it to change it to "on" it says "This option is not available at current settings or in the camera's current state." I've fiddled around, but I can't seem to figure out what settings I need to change. The manual is no help -- it says just click on it and change it to "on". Any suggestions? Thanks.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D5100 Multiple Exposure
MEMcD Moderator
10th Dec 2011
Leonard62 Gold Member
11th Dec 2011
mamman
10th Dec 2011
mackenzielea
10th Dec 2011
mamman
11th Dec 2011
Leonard62 Gold Member
11th Dec 2011
croute Silver Member
11th Dec 2011
Leonard62 Gold Member
11th Dec 2011
mamman
11th Dec 2011
croute Silver Member
11th Dec 2011
mackenzielea
11th Dec 2011
ckobleur
19th Aug 2013

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 10-Dec-11 04:36 PM
25891 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D5100 Multiple Exposure"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi MacKenzie,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Are you pressing the OK button in the center of the multi selector?
What exposure mode are you using?
I think multiple exposure is only available in P, S, A, or M exposure modes.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sun 11-Dec-11 04:00 PM
3020 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D5100 Multiple Exposure"
In response to Reply # 1

Hatboro, Pa, US

>What exposure mode are you using?
>I think multiple exposure is only available in P, S, A, or M
>exposure modes.
>

You're right, Marty. The menu option is grayed out in every other mode.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

mamman Registered since 28th Nov 2011Sat 10-Dec-11 06:12 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D5100 Multiple Exposure"
In response to Reply # 0

Kolkata, IN

Hi Mack
You need to select the P,A, S mode and then click on let hand "Menu". While in Menu, browse to Custom.... and from there, you can see an option indicating AE exposures/multiple. You need to select it to ON and then put up a value

Hope this helps

mackenzielea Registered since 10th Dec 2011Sat 10-Dec-11 10:36 PM
#3. "RE: D5100 Multiple Exposure"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I tried this, but it did not work. Any other suggestions?

mamman Registered since 28th Nov 2011Sun 11-Dec-11 01:13 PM
#5. "RE: D5100 Multiple Exposure"
In response to Reply # 3

Kolkata, IN

I hope you are looking for Auto exposure bracketing right? If that be the case, please try this. Brought the camera in front of me now. Try this.
MENU--->CUSTOM SETTING MENU--->OPTION E (BRACKETING/FLASH)--->BROWSE TO e2 AUTO BRACKETING SET---> SELECT AE BRACKETING

STEP 1 DONE. NOW COME OUT OF MENU AND CLICK THE "i" button.
BROWSE TO THE OPTION (BKT), CLICK ON THE SAME AND SELECT YOUR CHOICE OF AE

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sun 11-Dec-11 03:11 PM
3020 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D5100 Multiple Exposure"
In response to Reply # 5

Hatboro, Pa, US

He is not talking about HDR or auto bracketing. Multiple exposure is detailed on pages 78 and 79 of the manual.

Here is a multiple exposure I just took with my D5100 and AFS 35mm f1.8 lens.
The first photo was taken outdoors, the second indoors.

My camera was set up:
Aperture priority
Multiple exposure was set to ON in the Shooting Menu.
ISO 640
First photo 1/2000 sec f5.6
Second photo flash 1/60 sec.
The EXIF data only shows the 1st photo. It took about 15 seconds for the photos to merge. The red light on the back stays on while it's merging.

Len

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

croute Silver Member Nikonian since 16th May 2009Sun 11-Dec-11 05:04 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D5100 Multiple Exposure"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Thanks for pointing that out Len, I didn't know about that feature. I did notice in the manual it says multiple exposure can't be used in live view.

Chris

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sun 11-Dec-11 06:04 PM
#9. "RE: D5100 Multiple Exposure"
In response to Reply # 8

Hatboro, Pa, US

>Thanks for pointing that out Len, I didn't know about that
>feature. I did notice in the manual it says multiple exposure
>can't be used in live view.
>
>Chris

Hi Chris,

I didn't know about it either. There's a lot I don't know about the D5100 or a lot of features on all of Nikon's digital bodies for that matter. So when I see a thread like this I give it a try. Actually the D7000, D700, and all the D3 models have the multiple exposure feature. The setup is a little different on the pro bodies though.

Len

mamman Registered since 28th Nov 2011Sun 11-Dec-11 06:26 PM
#10. "RE: D5100 Multiple Exposure"
In response to Reply # 6

Kolkata, IN

Thanks really did not know this. Tried it just now and its really good.

croute Silver Member Nikonian since 16th May 2009Sun 11-Dec-11 01:35 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D5100 Multiple Exposure"
In response to Reply # 0

US

The HDR feature on the D5100 (I think that's what you are talking about) will only turn on if you are shooting jpeg.

mackenzielea Registered since 10th Dec 2011Sun 11-Dec-11 10:31 PM
#11. "RE: D5100 Multiple Exposure"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Thanks so much everyone! I've got it all figured out!

I joined nikonians yesterday, just so I could post this question. I appreciate all of the responses I received so quickly. It's nice knowing there are people out there who can answer questions the manual can't.

Thanks again. MacKenzie

ckobleur Registered since 19th Aug 2013Mon 19-Aug-13 07:44 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: D5100 Multiple Exposure"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>I recently purchased the d5100, and am still learning how to
>use it. Does anyone know how to turn on the multiple
>exposure? Right now, it's set to "off", and
>whenever I try to select it to change it to "on" it
>says "This option is not available at current settings or
>in the camera's current state." I've fiddled around, but
>I can't seem to figure out what settings I need to change.
>The manual is no help -- it says just click on it and change
>it to "on". Any suggestions? Thanks.

I struggled with the same issue with my d5200 - I ended up turning bracketing off and multiple exposure became an option, and worked.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4900 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.