Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #490
View in linear mode

Subject: "Helpful D5000 info" Previous topic | Next topic
Larry E30 Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2009Fri 21-Aug-09 05:16 PM
2360 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Helpful D5000 info"
Sat 22-Aug-09 03:57 PM by Larry E30

US

So far - what I best learned ; to get sharp,non-muddy images ; for as close a this camera will record as the eye sees ; try NL +sharpness custom settings(like also +contrast and/or +saturation)-now these settings may require some post adjusting.For more non-post adj. try ; SD +sharpness ,and VI + sharpness (now SD and VI require less added sharpnes than NL custom and NO added contrast)NOTE DO NOT USE THAT D-LIGHTING(I think THIS is where the 'muddiness' is coming from)...use it AFTER in review touch-up.I use auto white balance, but do try the other settings for WB too. NOW ALSO - DO TEST YOUR CAMERA for dead pixels and dirty sensor;as shown 5 exposures +1/3,+/-0,-1/3,-2/3,-1 stop.Exaine CLOSELY AT ZOOMED IN. Also check your camera's meter - lake photo is ISO 500 , 500th sec. @f16 ...sunny 16 rule (on this photo I am at -1/3 exposure).Lake photo still seems a litte bright,and it's in my NL+sharpness +contrast +saturation mode,still this mode (may) need some post adj. So far with this camera - I HAVE NOT done great.But I'm gonna work wih it to do the best I can. Upping the sharpness and useing D-lightin afterwards seems to make a big difference.I have some real sharp shots - all looks better on my computer than on the site.---... I'm going to the Grand Cayon area mid Sept.-Oct.2nd...but I'm not taking this camera, taking my P+S travel kit.,because with the D5000 too much adjusting and changing lenses.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)
Attachment #5, (jpg file)
Attachment #6, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Helpful D5000 info
blw Moderator
23rd Aug 2009
Larry E30 Silver Member
24th Aug 2009
blw Moderator
24th Aug 2009
Larry E30 Silver Member
24th Aug 2009
blw Moderator
24th Aug 2009

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sun 23-Aug-09 06:48 PM
26735 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Helpful D5000 info"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

A few comments:

- sharpness and vividness have a lot to do with the subject matter, which is why they are adjustable. If you turn up vividness, but are shooting portraits, it'll be a lot like shooting a wedding with Fuji Velvia - not so good. Similarly, a lot of landscapes benefit from stronger colors, so NOT setting some vividness for them is like shooting those landscapes on Kodak Portra - not optimal either. (Clearly I would have shot these on the opposite film stocks, for those who don't know the films.)

- D-lighting: if you're shooting JPEG, it can be quite useful for avoiding overly contrasty images. But if you use it in the wrong situations, just like sharpness and vividness, you'll get less than optimal results. Nikon did put it in there for a reason, right? If you're shooting raw, D-lighting doesn't do much except underexpose unless you're processing with NX2.

- Dirty sensor: it's inevitable. Even if you don't change lenses much. Just learn to clean it (the rocket blower is easy and risk free if done correctly) and forget about it. It's like being careful about anything else.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Larry E30 Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2009Mon 24-Aug-09 02:41 AM
2360 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Helpful D5000 info"
In response to Reply # 1
Mon 24-Aug-09 02:46 AM by Larry E30

US

Well, you guys really know your stuff.I been experimenting through to find the best results.So far my landscapes look too much like Kodak Portra.!I do now have a hurricane blower - and use it.Also I am experimenting more with SD and VI modes.(more contrast and saturation). Question; Is the white balance and light meter A-OK on these D5000's ? ...in general ? Overall I think I am happy with my D5000.,And got a lot to learn.,and as I feel I discover things - I like to pass it on to guys who just perchase this beast of a wild camera.(untamed). Check out how sharp the cup(writing),bottle,can,and sprinkler-hose-wire net are !!! ; (ya know the last photo - of me and arch - on my computer sure seems just under exposed - but on the site ...it looks like a good exposure !!)

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)
Attachment #5, (jpg file)
Attachment #6, (jpg file)
Attachment #7, (jpg file)

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Mon 24-Aug-09 03:03 PM
26735 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Helpful D5000 info"
In response to Reply # 2

Richmond, US

Sounds like you're having color space problems, if it looks wrong on your system but OK on the web.

_____

Larry E30 Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2009Mon 24-Aug-09 06:20 PM
#4. "RE: Helpful D5000 info"
In response to Reply # 3
Mon 24-Aug-09 06:27 PM by Larry E30

US

Don't know what color space is , (a setting)?Basicly any photo I put on the site comes a little brighter - ( even on my same monitor).Maybe I'm 'set' a litte brighter than you-on monitor brightness.I have many shows set - and onto laptop - which I show through my 'sharp' projecter(guess my projecter is set a little darker,and I had someone NOT color chalanged help me set up projecter,Ihave trouble with colors) - so I don't know if changing anything on my monitor is going to mess anything up.So far with D5000 I shot about 1500 photos - but I have not made any shows yet...I'm still trying to "get it right". Thanks , Larry (Honestly this camera has not been easy - I thought I was SO ready.It's kicking my butt.I'm taking my P+S travel kit to Grand Cayon+ area,17 days-Sept-Oct.3rd) Oh - I considered my system'right',but I never really SET anything ... I did lower my brightness about 1 or 2 years ago because a friend told me my screen/monitor was washed out. Question ; How can I possibly calobrate now, and should I since aleady have about 9 good ,set shows?? AND I AM NOT GOOD AT DOING WHAT I DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO.Maybe lower my brightness a little more.?

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Mon 24-Aug-09 06:49 PM
#5. "RE: Helpful D5000 info"
In response to Reply # 4

Richmond, US

Your messages are very hard to read. Please try to put more spaces and white space separating thoughts.

----

Color space - there are a variety of ways to interpret each numerical value, and they end up being different in result. It sounds to me as if your camera is producing Adobe RGB 1998 files, but most web software renders in sRGB, which is a narrower space. If you edit in Adobe 1998 and display in sRGB, images will appear different even on the same screen.

---

You need to look into hardware calibration - I forget their names, but look over in the printing scanning and color management forum. I bought mine several years ago and just use it. The calibration will let you set your monitor and system so that it matches the rest of the calibrated world, including brightness.

_____

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #490 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.