nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Larry E30

US
2749 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Larry E30 Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 27th May 2009
Fri 21-Aug-09 05:16 PM | edited Sat 22-Aug-09 03:57 PM by Larry E30

So far - what I best learned ; to get sharp,non-muddy images ; for as close a this camera will record as the eye sees ; try NL +sharpness custom settings(like also +contrast and/or +saturation)-now these settings may require some post adjusting.For more non-post adj. try ; SD +sharpness ,and VI + sharpness (now SD and VI require less added sharpnes than NL custom and NO added contrast)NOTE DO NOT USE THAT D-LIGHTING(I think THIS is where the 'muddiness' is coming from)...use it AFTER in review touch-up.I use auto white balance, but do try the other settings for WB too. NOW ALSO - DO TEST YOUR CAMERA for dead pixels and dirty sensor;as shown 5 exposures +1/3,+/-0,-1/3,-2/3,-1 stop.Exaine CLOSELY AT ZOOMED IN. Also check your camera's meter - lake photo is ISO 500 , 500th sec. @f16 ...sunny 16 rule (on this photo I am at -1/3 exposure).Lake photo still seems a litte bright,and it's in my NL+sharpness +contrast +saturation mode,still this mode (may) need some post adj. So far with this camera - I HAVE NOT done great.But I'm gonna work wih it to do the best I can. Upping the sharpness and useing D-lightin afterwards seems to make a big difference.I have some real sharp shots - all looks better on my computer than on the site.---... I'm going to the Grand Cayon area mid Sept.-Oct.2nd...but I'm not taking this camera, taking my P+S travel kit.,because with the D5000 too much adjusting and changing lenses.

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)
Attachment #5, (jpg file)
Attachment #6, (jpg file)