nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5000/D3000 series (Public) topic #4850
View in linear mode

Subject: "SB-24 Compatibility" Previous topic | Next topic
Stormtruck2 Registered since 01st Dec 2011Thu 01-Dec-11 05:48 AM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SB-24 Compatibility"

Mechanicsville, US

Does anyone know if my SB-24 is compatible with my D5100. I don't know what the compatibility is between them. I can't seem to get it to work with my D5100. The darn pop up light keeps trying to pop up also.

Thanks for your advice.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: SB-24 Compatibility
blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
01st Dec 2011
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
01st Dec 2011
blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
02nd Dec 2011
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
03rd Dec 2011
Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library
04th Dec 2011

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Thu 01-Dec-11 12:25 PM
26952 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: SB-24 Compatibility"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

For the most part, not compatible. The SB-24 will function only in A or M mode (on the flash). In particular, TTL does NOT work, because it depends on being able to read the light being reflected off the film emulsion during exposure. Obviously there is no film, and in fact the sensor reflects light in an entirely different way. So manual mode or "auto" only. Auto uses a sensor in the flash to guide exposure, and it works reasonably well for moderate focal lengths - say, about 20mm to about 45mm on DX. Wider or longer than that and what the sensor reads is so different from the FOV that the lens sees that you usually get an incorrect exposure.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 01-Dec-11 02:05 PM
27232 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SB-24 Compatibility"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Matthew,

The SB-24 was designed for film bodies and incorporates Film TTL flash control. The D5100 requires a Speedlight with i-TTL flash control. Unfortunatly they are two completely different and incompatible flash control systems.
As Brian wrote above, the SB-24 can be used in non-TTL Auto flash mode or Manual flash mode with the camera set in Manual exposure mode.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Fri 02-Dec-11 03:37 AM
26952 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: SB-24 Compatibility"
In response to Reply # 2

Richmond, US

> with the camera set in Manual exposure mode.

Really? Did that limitation get imposed recently? My ancient D100 can use similar flashes in Auto or Manual flash mode but with any P/S/A/M exposure mode set on the camera.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 03-Dec-11 08:03 AM
27232 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: SB-24 Compatibility"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Hi Brian,

Note, I did not write Manual exposure mode "only".

I think it is much easier to learn Manual flash mode or even non-TTL Auto flash mode when using Manual exposure mode. After all that is the way we learned when cameras only had Manual exposure mode (sometimes without a meter built into the camera) and flash units only had Manual flash mode.

With the camera set in Manual exposure mode, it is easy to set the aperture based on the flash to subject distance based on the information displayed in the calculator built into most speedlights.

Since the OP is a beginner just starting out, it is reasonalble to expect that if Program mode was suggested they would assume the camera capture a well exposed image automatically.

Expierienced users will know that when using Manual flash or even non-TTL Auto flash mode with the camera in P,S, or A exposure modes that the camera will meter only for the ambinent light as if the flash was not on. Then they will use exposure compensation or adjust the flash power in order to prevent the flash from overexposing the image when it fires.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sun 04-Dec-11 02:33 PM
3530 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: SB-24 Compatibility"
In response to Reply # 3

Hatboro, Pa, US

>> with the camera set in Manual exposure mode.
>
>Really? Did that limitation get imposed recently? My ancient
>D100 can use similar flashes in Auto or Manual flash mode but
>with any P/S/A/M exposure mode set on the camera.

Brian,

The D5100 is a different animal. With one of these older flashes the D5100 won't even fire the shutter sometimes unless you are in manual mode on the camera. I have an old SB-15 that works beautifully when in A mode and the camera is in manual.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5000/D3000 series (Public) topic #4850 Previous topic | Next topic