Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4818
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon D5100 and Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8G " Previous topic | Next topic
vincet102 Registered since 27th Nov 2011Sun 27-Nov-11 10:51 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon D5100 and Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8G "

US

Hi, I just recently brought a Nikon 5100 and wanted a better lens because I'm going to couple of wedding events and would love to shoot great pictures. Is the 17-55mm a bit of an overkill. I was originally thinking of getting the 16-85mm instead. Can someone give me some advice on which one to choose. Thanks.

Vince

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon D5100 and Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8G
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
28th Nov 2011
vincet102
28th Nov 2011
28th Nov 2011
vincet102
29th Nov 2011
blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
29th Nov 2011
29th Nov 2011
blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
28th Nov 2011

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 28-Nov-11 01:30 AM
26762 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon D5100 and Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8G "
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Vince,

The 17-55mm has been the go to lens for wedding shooters using DX bodies since it was introduced in 2003.
The 16-85mm is very capable if you plan on using flash or if the church is bright or well lit.
For shooting ambient light, the extra two stops the 17-55mm provides will be very useful and can make the difference between capturing a sharp image and a blurry one (due to subject motion).
I use one as a walk around lens, though many others prefer something smaller and lighter.
The 17-55mm is available for rent if you want to give it a try, before you buy.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

vincet102 Registered since 27th Nov 2011Mon 28-Nov-11 01:43 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon D5100 and Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8G "
In response to Reply # 1

US

Marty,

Great advice. The weight is one issue I was worrying about. Do you suggest an external SB-600 flash. Someone told me it's a must have. Thanks.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 28-Nov-11 08:47 AM
26762 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon D5100 and Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8G "
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Vince,

In a word: yes!
An external Speedlight will provide significantly more power and range than the built in Speedlight. It will also allow you to take advantage of bouncing the light off of the ceiling or a wall to soften the light. The higher profile will also allow you to use a lens hood without vignetting and will significantly reduce the chance of red-eye, even when not using red-eye reduction.

Best Regards,
Marty

vincet102 Registered since 27th Nov 2011Tue 29-Nov-11 08:01 AM
#5. "RE: Nikon D5100 and Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8G "
In response to Reply # 3
Tue 29-Nov-11 09:19 AM by vincet102

US

Marty,

I was told with pro lens like the Nikon 17-55mm f2.8, it will produce a very noticeable dark shadow when shooting with the build in flash. You just confirm it. I'm shooting most of my shots in daytime ever since I got my D5100. I will pay attention to the red eye effect when shooting in low lighting condition. I think I will save up for a used SB-600. You're a great help.

Brian,

You are right about "most of the greatness of great pictures is provided by the photographer". My 18-55mm have been treating me quite well so far. My biggest dilemma is I have no other lens to compare my pictures to. With a f/2.8 lens I don't have to worry about auto-focus and low light shooting at various indoor events. Thanks for your helpful view on the differences between the two lens.

Vince

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 29-Nov-11 09:41 AM
26827 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: Nikon D5100 and Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8G "
In response to Reply # 5

Richmond, US

> With a f/2.8 lens I don't have to worry about auto-focus and low light shooting at various indoor events.

Sure you do. Just not as much. And the differences may not be as big as you perceive. At 55mm, the difference is two stops - pretty big. But at 18mm, the difference is a half a stop. That's the difference between 1/30th and 1/45th in shutter speed, under the same conditions. That's nice to have, but it isn't going to change your approach on iota. And of course it's variable in between. If you're shooting in low light, an f/1.4 lens makes two and a half stops difference at the short and, and four stops difference at 50mm - that will change your approach. The f/1.4 lens is two full stops faster than the f/2.8 zoom, too. Of course, you can't get an f/1.4 zoom...

Also, consider that low light isn't automatically a matter of opening up the lens. Most people seem to omit the consideration that DOF doesn't necessarily permit you to just open up to f/1.4. Sometimes it does - darkness hides many things - but sometimes it does not.

In fact, given that the 18-55 has VR and the 17-55 does not, there are some circumstances under which the 18-55 works better as a low-light option than the 17-55, despite the fact that the latter may be as much as two stops faster. Two stops faster isn't as much as Nikon's claimed four stops worth of VR improvement - and especially if you have to stop down some for DOF reasons.

Don't get me wrong: there are plenty of reasons to have the 17-55/f2.8, but it isn't a universal solution to low light.

> I think I will save up for a used SB-600.

I think that's a great idea. Especially indoors (where bounce is often a viable approach), a flash is likely to make a far bigger difference in image quality.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 29-Nov-11 07:35 PM
#7. "RE: Nikon D5100 and Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8G "
In response to Reply # 5

US

Hi Vince,

While VR is very useful on longer lenses, I have never missed it when using normal to wide lenses like the 17-55mm.

Best Regards,
Marty

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Mon 28-Nov-11 08:50 AM
26827 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Nikon D5100 and Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8G "
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

> wanted a better lens

I assume that you have the 18-55 kit lens? You might be surprised to discover that most of the other lenses are not so much "better" - in particular, the 16-85 provides greater range, but isn't likely to take much "better" pictures. The 18-55 has consistently surprised people over the years. The 17-55 costs 6x as much, and it is certainly built better, but people are often dismayed to discover that it is not magic, and does not often result is much better pictures. Yes, it's f/2.8, but that's not an automatic solution even to low-light, and the optical quality of the 18-55 is surprisingly good.

> would love to shoot great pictures

Unfortunately, most of the greatness of great pictures is provided by the photographer, not the camera or lens.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4818 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.