Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4808
View in linear mode

Subject: "Which Nikon will autofocus my Tokina??" Previous topic | Next topic
megmpete Registered since 27th Nov 2011Sun 27-Nov-11 04:48 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Which Nikon will autofocus my Tokina??"

US

I have a Tokina AT-X Pro SD 12-24mm F4 (IF) DX and I am going to be getting a new camera body. (i currently have a D40). I am looking at the d5000, d5100, d3000 and the d3100. Can someone give me a little insight into which one would autofoucs my tokina?? Thank you so much!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Which Nikon will autofocus my Tokina??
Leonard62 Gold Member
27th Nov 2011
MEMcD Moderator
27th Nov 2011
megmpete
27th Nov 2011
MEMcD Moderator
27th Nov 2011
Leonard62 Gold Member
27th Nov 2011
briantilley Moderator
27th Nov 2011

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sun 27-Nov-11 05:01 PM
3095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Which Nikon will autofocus my Tokina??"
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

If this is the latest II version then all of them will autofocus.

If it the earlier model without the built in motor then none of the bodies you mentioned will autofocus.

In that case you would have to upgrade to the D7000 which will autofocus any AF lens made for any Nikon auto focus body.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 27-Nov-11 05:13 PM
26082 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Which Nikon will autofocus my Tokina??"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Megan,

Welcome to Nikonians!

Since you don't list a II at the end of the lens description, you have the older version which does not have an AF motor built into the lens.
Therefore in order to have AF you should be considering the D90, D7000, D300s, or a D3 series body.

If you have the most recent version: AT-X Pro SD 12-24mm f/4 IF DX II, which has an AF motor built into the lens is fully compatible with the D3000, D5000, D3100, D5100 series bodies.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

megmpete Registered since 27th Nov 2011Sun 27-Nov-11 06:38 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Which Nikon will autofocus my Tokina??"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Thanks for the info! It is the older model of lens and it does not focus on my d40... i was hoping to find a less expensive body but i may have to go head and take the plunge. what would be a good upgrade from the D40??

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 27-Nov-11 07:21 PM
26082 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Which Nikon will autofocus my Tokina??"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hi megan,

All of the current bodies are significantly more capable than the D40.
If you want the Tokina to AF on the new body, the D90 and the D7000 would be the least expensive options.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sun 27-Nov-11 07:49 PM
3095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Which Nikon will autofocus my Tokina??"
In response to Reply # 4

Hatboro, Pa, US

Your D40 is a 6MP camera released in 2006. All of Nikon's current cameras are at least 12MP and are an upgrade.

The least expensive upgrade, the D90, was released in 2008. It has video recording capabilities but not HD. It is a very capable camera and it's 12MP sensor will give you very detailed photos.

The D7000 is the next step up from the D90 and was released a year ago. It has Nikon's most advanced features in a DX format body. The sensor is 16MP and it can record HD movies. The photos from the high MP sensor are gorgeous. It also has the capability to allow metering with Nikon's old manual focus lenses.

So really you have to decide what price range and feature list you want to get into. Good Luck.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sun 27-Nov-11 05:24 PM
29016 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Which Nikon will autofocus my Tokina??"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

Perhaps the simplest way of answering this is to say that, if the lens will AF on your D40, it will also AF on any Nikon DSLR

If it doesn't AF on your D40, it will not AF on the D3000, D3100, D5000 or D5100 either, but will AF on all other current models as well as older models like the D80, D90 and D200.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4808 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.