nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Cruch

CA
9 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Cruch Registered since 22nd Nov 2011
Tue 22-Nov-11 08:43 PM

Darn!!

I never had this problem with my Rebel XT and T3i but for the first time experienced this 'phenomena' with my new D5100. I just found out what it's called! Darn! Bought the camera used in mint condition. At least it's in warranty luckily. Many sell this model used when they purchase it for video and it doesn't have the manual settings they would like..

When we were looking over the pictures of a wedding we attended, my wife took many pics with the AF-S 35mm 1.8g at f1.8 (dark hall). We noticed that when reviewing pics, all the focus was behind the subjects.

I then made some time now to play around with the camera and sure enough, you focus on the eye ball, the ear ends up being in focus every time.

We tried every focus mode, different distances, etc, etc. Basically at f3.2 (optimal sharpness f range for this lens), the ear will be in focus when you focus on the eye. It does this maybe 80% of the time.

I had the shutter at 1/250 and flash. It definitely wasn't shake or a settings issue. It just reliably focuses on the ear, rather than the eye which from what I'm reading is 'classic back focusing'.

Maybe you guys should try it yourselves if you have the AF-S 35mm f1.8g. Might be fun.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D5100 back focusing!