Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4737
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon D5100 Manual Mode(M) issue" Previous topic | Next topic
nivas Registered since 08th Nov 2011Tue 22-Nov-11 12:09 AM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon D5100 Manual Mode(M) issue"

US

Hi All,

I read for below blog saying "M" mode doesn't show any shutter speed or aperture changes in Live View(I mean the image dark or bright based on Aperture and ShutterSpeed).
Is it true that we can't see the exposure when we are in "M" mode ?. Isn't it possible to see actual exposure simulation with the Nikon D5100 in Live View while in Manual M shooting mode?

######################################################################
http://blog.dojoklo.com/2011/04/05/nikon-d5100-announced/
Here is the text from the above link of the problem description.
Hi DoJoKo,

First of of, thanks a lot for such a wonderful review. I have one question though. When I used the Nik D5100 at a nearby camera store in live View and Manual (M) mode, it never quite seemed to register ANY of the changes I made to shutter : the image is supposed to go dark as the shutter speed increases right?(I was in a moderately lit room). The wierd part is that the actual image captured was dark (like it should be) but not the preview! Is there some setting on the Nikon that is wrong on the piece I tested ? If the camera cant display the changes it is making during live view – leaving me to approximate the changes I’m making, then that is a deal breaker for me. I am wondering if this is a bug that was only on the piece that I saw at the showroom, or if you saw it too.

dojoklo on July 4, 2011 at 11:08 am
That is a really great question! These are the kinds of features one really has to dig into the camera, menus, or manual of a new dSLR model to determine if it is actually going to meet your needs.

It turns out that no, it is not possible to see actual exposure simulation with the Nikon D5100 in Live View while in Manual M shooting mode. However, in the P, A, or S shooting modes, the live view image will lighten or darken to simulate the exposure settings or the exp. compensation that you set. And to add insult to injury, there is no exposure meter displayed on the Live View screen, so to check your exposure you will need to temporarily leave Live View and switch to the control panel view by pressing the Button.

The Canon 60D and Canon Rebel T3i both have Exposure Simulation in all modes during Live View. On the 60D you can turn this feature off and on. On the T3i it is on automatically while in Live View.

####################################################################
Thanks in Advacne

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4737 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.