Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4729
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon D5100 DOF and Bokeh with Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S D..." Previous topic | Next topic
nivas Registered since 08th Nov 2011Mon 21-Nov-11 11:53 AM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon D5100 DOF and Bokeh with Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Lens "

US

Hi All,

I just want to know from some of experienced nikon users if I use Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Lens in Nikon D5100 can I get good DOF and Bokeh effects ?

I know the Nikon D5100 doesn't have Depth Of Field Preview button. Without this button does it have any issues?. How important is DOF preview button. I know canon t3i has it . But I am interested in D5100 so would like to know about it.

Thanks in advance

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon D5100 DOF and Bokeh with Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF...
MEMcD Moderator
21st Nov 2011
DavidN4 Silver Member
21st Nov 2011
jwar
07th Dec 2011
mikecola
13th Dec 2011
Future2001
12th Jan 2012

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 21-Nov-11 06:42 PM
25711 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon D5100 DOF and Bokeh with Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Lens "
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi _______,

Welcome to Nikonians!
When you get a few minutes please fill in your Real name.

>I just want to know from some of experienced nikon users if I
>use Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Lens in Nikon D5100 can I get
>good DOF and Bokeh effects ?

Yes! When shot wide open the 35mm f/1.8G is capable of producing images with a very narrow DOF and nice Bokeh.

>I know the Nikon D5100 doesn't have Depth Of Field Preview
>button. Without this button does it have any issues?

No. The DOF preview button has absolutely no effect on the image produced by the camera what so ever.

>How important is DOF preview button. I know canon t3i has it . But
>I am interested in D5100 so would like to know about it.

It is a nice feature to have though it is rarely used and useless for shooting at apertures larger (smaller f/#'s) f/2.8 even on Pro Bodies.
I shoot more than most, and even though All of my Bodies have DOF preview buttons, I use it for less than .001% of the images that I capture.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

DavidN4 Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Nov 2011Mon 21-Nov-11 09:03 PM
265 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon D5100 DOF and Bokeh with Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Lens "
In response to Reply # 0

Johns Creek, US

It works fine for me, but be aware that you have to get pretty close to your subject to get the best looking picture in my opinion. I prefer to be farther back, and use a longer lens - looks more natural to me.

jwar Registered since 26th Nov 2007Wed 07-Dec-11 05:28 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon D5100 DOF and Bokeh with Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Lens "
In response to Reply # 0

The DOF on the f/1.8 is extremely shallow, In this picture of my wife and baby, I am only a couple feet from the subject, and as you can see, only the brow area is in focus, even her lips are starting to move out of focus.

It makes for a very nice effect, and with more light, it is easier to manage. I love shooting with that lens, it was really nice to use in the low light setting during our labor and delivery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

mikecola Registered since 07th Nov 2011Tue 13-Dec-11 11:38 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon D5100 DOF and Bokeh with Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Lens "
In response to Reply # 3

US

Here is an example at f1.8. Only the figure at the front is in focus, and at that, not all of him. It starts going soft on his rear leg and the backside of the hat.

my Nikonians gallery

Future2001 Registered since 12th Jan 2012Thu 12-Jan-12 04:51 AM
41 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nikon D5100 DOF and Bokeh with Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Lens "
In response to Reply # 4

US

You can get some good bokeh but like others have said at wide open things get soft and blurred be careful with what the camera is focusing on. Maybe bump up the aperture.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4729 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.