Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4705
View in linear mode

Subject: "How To Test A Used DSLR" Previous topic | Next topic
Pistol_Ridge Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Sep 2010Thu 17-Nov-11 09:30 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"How To Test A Used DSLR"

Lumberton, US

Hi there, I've been searching online for a used d5100 and I was wondering if anyone had figured out a method of testing a used camera. I've seen some pretty reasonable prices on eBay, but some have a relatively short return policy. A camera could have a problem that may not show up for some time and then it'd be too late. The two deciding factors for me to choose this model is the compatibility to the lenses I already own and the video capabilities. There is one seller on eBay (cametaauctions) that offers a one year warranty and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience in dealing with them.

The following are the lenses I own, if anyone sees any compatibility issues, please let me know.

My Nikkor Lenses
Nikkor 50mm 1:1.4
Micro-Nikkor 55mm 1:2.8
Nikkor AF 35-70mm 1:3.3-4.5

Other Lenses
RMC Tokina 28mm 1:2.8
Sigma AF 75-200mm 1:3.8

Thank You,
Rick

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: How To Test A Used DSLR
Leonard62 Gold Member
17th Nov 2011
jpFoto
17th Nov 2011
avm247 Moderator
18th Nov 2011
jimmills Silver Member
18th Nov 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
18th Nov 2011
Pistol_Ridge Silver Member
20th Nov 2011
Pistol_Ridge Silver Member
29th Nov 2011

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Thu 17-Nov-11 10:21 PM
3021 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: How To Test A Used DSLR"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 17-Nov-11 10:25 PM by Leonard62

Hatboro, Pa, US

Hi Rick,

I guess buying used Dslr bodies can be a tricky proposition, especially for something like the D5100 which is Nikon's newest body. On ebay I only buy with caution and a sellers reasonable return policy. The D5100 is not a really expensive camera, relatively speaking, so I tend to buy new.

Now to your lenses. For autofocus the D5100 is only compatible with lenses with a built in motor, like AFS. I'm not sure any of your lenses are compatible.

The lenses also require a built in cpu in order to meter. Your AF 35-70mm qualifies here except you will need to manually focus the lens. It sounds like what you really want is the D7000 which has video and will autofocus your AF lenses and meter with all your lenses.

Len

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Thu 17-Nov-11 10:31 PM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: How To Test A Used DSLR"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Your 55mm 2.8 micro is a non-cpu MF lens, so it will not meter with the D5100.

You didn't specify which 50mm 1.4 that you have. If it is an AI or AIS lens it also will not meter with the D5100. If it is an AF lens then it is a CPU lens and will meter, but it will not autofocus. However, if it is the 50mm 1.4G, it will both AutoFocus and Meter. I am not familar with the non-Nikkor lenses.

jP

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberFri 18-Nov-11 05:44 AM
18508 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: How To Test A Used DSLR"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 18-Nov-11 05:47 AM by avm247

Rancho Cordova, US

Cameta Camera is a reputable online retailer. They do have an ebay store and sell a lot of Nikon equipment; not sure what their arrangement is with Nikon, though.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/CametaCamera

Resellerratings.com is a great source to check out online retailers.

The D5100 will only AF with AF-S or AF-I lenses; lenses that have a built-in AF motor. It does not AF with the older helicoil (screw drive) lenses. I believe your older AF lenses are of the helicoil type.

Also, the D5100 does NOT have an manual tab to metering with MF lenses.

For full compatability, you want a AF-S, DX type lenses for metering and autofocus. Modern FX lenses will work with a 1.5x crop.

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

jimmills Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Dec 2010Fri 18-Nov-11 12:12 PM
119 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: How To Test A Used DSLR"
In response to Reply # 0

Fort Walton Beach, FL, US

I bought a reconditioned D5000 from Cameta Camera on ebay because they are a reputable seller. However, I have had no problems with the camera therefore I don't have any experience with their reaction to problems. The camera did come with a 1 year warranty and I really don't believe there would have been a problem with Cameta Camera should the camera have developed a problem.

Jim

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberFri 18-Nov-11 01:21 PM
3155 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: How To Test A Used DSLR"
In response to Reply # 4
Fri 18-Nov-11 01:24 PM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

My customers and I have had so many problems with FleaBay and PayPal that I use neither of them.

I would check Nikonians Buy/Sell and FM forums.

I had a D5100 on them briefly, but
I am glad it did not sell while I was learning to use it properly.
It is now my all time favorite camera for Trips, Hikes, & Video.
I really like the HD1080 at 30fps and the articulating LCD.

I still use my D7000 for EVENTS where I shoot thousands of Photos in a day.

Nearly all new Nikkors have AF-S.
Don't be afraid of the kit lens, they are quite good, and
the light little AF-S 18-55 might be the best bargain.

Pistol_Ridge Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Sep 2010Sun 20-Nov-11 10:27 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: How To Test A Used DSLR"
In response to Reply # 0

Lumberton, US

Thanks for all the great advice, all things considered I should just go with a D90 or save up some more money and try to find a good deal on a D7000. If I found a good enough deal on a D5100 that would allow me to get a couple of lenses and go from there. I love the specs on the D7000, especially the speed that it can shoot at. My main issue at this time is to be able to do a better job in the macro range. I'm learning the art of polishing rocks and gems, with my main focus being opals. Opals are tricky to photograph to begin with and my Coolpix 8800VR is not all that good with macro and low light conditions. I loved my old set-up of my Nikon FE with a Soligor 75-255mm w/macro. I'll have to set up a new album with some of my lapidary creations. My hope is to someday make a little money with it. I don't have to make a living, just add to my disability and give me a hobby I can do right here at home.

Thanks Again,
Rick

Pistol_Ridge Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Sep 2010Tue 29-Nov-11 08:50 PM
#7. "RE: How To Test A Used DSLR"
In response to Reply # 0

Lumberton, US

After weighing all the options and my finances, I went for the D90. I found a pretty good deal on the body only for $530.00 and it only has 6352 shutter actuations, plus the seller has a 30day return policy. I do have a question about the MB-D80 Battery Grip. I know I need a second battery and the MB-D80 Battery Grip would be perfect. I know it would be best to get a "genuine Nikon" part, but if I can't find one that is affordable, I'm wondering if anyone out there has any advice as to which brand "generic" would be best to go with.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4705 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.