Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4701
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon D5100 Vs Canon D600" Previous topic | Next topic
satyajit_datta Registered since 17th Nov 2011Thu 17-Nov-11 06:18 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon D5100 Vs Canon D600"

IN

Hi,

Went thru the reviews and comparisons of Nikon D5100 and Canon 600D and decided to go with the Nikon.

Before taking the plunge, however, wanted to know:

1. Is the decision right considering
a. I am not much concerned about videos
b. The small diff in MPs is not an issue
c. The Nikon is somewhat cheaper
I want good still pics.

2. D5100 is said to have a plastic body, but is it fully plastic or does it have a metal frame inside to hold things together including the lens mount?
How does the Canon 600D score here?
This might be a decisive factor.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon D5100 Vs Canon D600
briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills
17th Nov 2011
satyajit_datta
17th Nov 2011
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
17th Nov 2011
Cruch
22nd Nov 2011
blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
23rd Nov 2011
Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses
25th Nov 2011

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Thu 17-Nov-11 06:40 PM
29237 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon D5100 Vs Canon D600"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 17-Nov-11 06:41 PM by briantilley

Paignton, UK

Welcome to Nikonians!

I'm sure you would be happy with either camera, in terms of durability, image quality and features

One thing that would decide it for me would be how they fit in your hand and allow you to access the controls. If you can visit a dealer to handle both, it may help you make a decision.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

satyajit_datta Registered since 17th Nov 2011Thu 17-Nov-11 06:45 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon D5100 Vs Canon D600"
In response to Reply # 1

IN

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the Welcome and a response so quick (barely in minutes)
I have had a look at both and am comfortable with handling either including the controls - both are ok on that count.

Satyajit

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 17-Nov-11 09:38 PM
26767 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon D5100 Vs Canon D600"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Satyajit,

Welcome to Nikonians!
DXO Mark shows the D5100 outperforms the 600D by a wide margin in sensor performance in every catagory.
The D5100 like every other Nikon DSLR has a metal lens mount. I am not sure what the D5100 chassie is made of though I know it is more than sufficient to do the job, regardless of the material.
Since both bodies are consumer models, I am sure they have the same build quality wth the same or very similar materials.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Cruch Registered since 22nd Nov 2011Tue 22-Nov-11 04:47 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon D5100 Vs Canon D600"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

I own both camera's actually.

The Nikon has WAY better auto focus.. *WAY* better.

The Nikon has WAY better low cost lenses. The Canon 50mm f 1.8 is a slow, plastic toy next to the the 35mm 1.8g. I hear people say they think the 35mm AFS 1.8G is slow I think to myself 'you never used a Canon'.

The Canon has overall better menu system and options in my opinion. Nikons menu system is illogical to me. I just set it to auto ISO and put it in P mode. Things are burried too deep into the menus and I swear sometimes changes don't stick.

The flash TTL is WAY better on the Nikon. WAY better.

The Canon white balance is better than Nikon.

The metering for manual modes are better on the Nikon.

The LCD display and histogram are WAY better on the Canon. I dislike the Nikon histogram a lot.

The Canon seems to give a more 'honest' picture to the settings.

The Nikon seems to 'secretly do things to the image in the background'. If you are used to you Canon and used to taking f1.8 shots with a certain ISO, you can do the same with the Nikon and swear it did some sort of extra processing although you turned it all off. It's almost less reliable than the Canon. With Canon you know exactly what your getting... but all this doesn't matter if the Canon can't focus.

I haven't played around much with the video on the Nikon. We'll see how that turns out.

The fill flash outdoors with Nikon from what I understand is WAY better than Canon. Just put your Nikon into P mode and pop up the flash outdoors and you have an instant fill flash. No extra games or metering.

Oh one thing with the 600d that I can swear is different than the Nikon. The shutter speed on the Nikon feels much slower although they booth seem to be at the same setting. I don't 'trust' that when I set it to 1/40 or 1/50, I'm really getting that. I can't shake the feeling I'm down at 1/20 in reality. More of the 'hidden settings' sort of thing. I could swear the Nikon suffers from 'shake blur' more than the Canon. At 1/80 it seems to go away.

Overall I would say that if you had to get only 1 camera forever, get the Canon because of the lens choices you have. It's not 'disabled' so to speak.

If you were going to get something to tie you over till the D800, then I would get this.. only used though. This camera is sold widely on the used market because of the video control issue.

I just don' find the d5100 a 'keeper' camera. I would consider it a beginner camera, or a 'secondary' camera just because of the lens issue which is far too important of an issue to be ignored.

And again, I can't shake the feeling that the pictures are secretly being processed. It's just a hunch I have. I can't explain it.

Overall the Nikon wins for now because it focuses better, has better low cost lenses, and has a better metering and flash system. Also lower ISO noise of course.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Wed 23-Nov-11 01:12 PM
26827 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: Nikon D5100 Vs Canon D600"
In response to Reply # 4
Thu 24-Nov-11 03:19 PM by blw

Richmond, US

> if you had to get only 1 camera forever, get the Canon because of the lens choices you have. It's not 'disabled' so to speak.

Huh? In what way is the D5100 "disabled" in some way regarding lens choices? The facts of the matter are that most - indeed virtually all - Nikon lenses made back to about 1960 still mount, work properly and make excellent pictures on today's D5100. One certainly can't say that about any Canon - who changed lens mounts entirely when they switched to AF. Moreover, if I'm not mistaken, some of the small-sensor lenses can't even be mounted on some current Canons due to mirror clearance issues. Even in the case where someone wants to use a DX (eg small sensor) lens on a large-sensor (and therefore large mirror) FX camera, it just works. Granted it performs at reduced resolution (or alternatively with strong corner vignetting), but it works.

Even if one does not accept the notion that a DX small sensor camera's lenses are viable on FX cameras, AT LEAST the same thing is true of Canon's dedicated small-sensor lenses, as well as any other small-sensor lenses made for either mount by third parties.

> I can't shake the feeling that the pictures are secretly being processed. It's just a hunch I have. I can't explain it.

Shoot in raw. You won't have any processing at all, for better or for worse.

> The shutter speed on the Nikon feels much slower although they booth seem to be at the same setting. I don't 'trust' that when I set it to 1/40 or 1/50, I'm really getting that.

Well, I don't have a D5100, but I do own 9 Nikon bodies and have used most of the rest. I also own some other brand cameras, and I am also an occasional renter. The shutter speeds are accurate, as verified by both other cameras and some external meters.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Fri 25-Nov-11 02:18 PM
3298 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nikon D5100 Vs Canon D600"
In response to Reply # 5

Hatboro, Pa, US

>> if you had to get only 1 camera forever, get the Canon
>because of the lens choices you have. It's not 'disabled' so
>to speak.
>
>Huh? In what way is the D5100 "disabled" in some
>way regarding lens choices? The facts of the matter are that
>most - indeed virtually all - Nikon lenses made back to about
>1960 still mount, work properly and make excellent pictures on
>today's D5100. One certainly can't say that about any Canon -
>who changed lens mounts entirely when they switched to AF.
>Moreover, if I'm not mistaken, some of the small-sensor lenses
>can't even be mounted on some current Canons due to mirror
>clearance issues.

I have always chuckled at this argument. A friend of mine, actually my son's best friend, wanted to totally change his Nikon system to Canon because they have some lenses that Nikon doesn't have. His argument was that Canon had a 800mm lens and Nikon didn't. He admitted of course that he would never buy the 800mm lens. The end result was he kept his Nikon system.

The last body I bought was the D5100. There were three reasons for doing so, the articulated LCD monitor, the higher MP DX sensor and that it would use all my Nikon lenses and primarily the non-AI 5.8cm f1.4 lens made in 1959. That lens never had it so good. The photos are outstanding. I prefer it to my AF 50mm f1.4. Just yesterday I used the AI 400mm f5.6 telephoto on the D5100.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4701 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.