Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4694
View in linear mode

Subject: "D5100 HDR Function" Previous topic | Next topic
slothead Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Wed 16-Nov-11 05:43 PM
1546 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5100 HDR Function"

Frederick, US

Has anyone here tried it? I have been using it now and then, but am not very impressed with it.

I programmed the Fn button to set it to ON (it stays ON only for one capture then turns itself OFF), and used that too.

The selections for HDR control allow you to pick the exposure difference between the two images it uses for the final HDR file. As I recall it ranges from EV0.3 to EV3 or something like that. I have tried it at both EV2 and EV3 and didn't see a lot of difference.

My biggest pet peeve is that it doesn't keep the two recorded images so that you can compare the final to either of them (or if it does, I sure don't know where to find them).

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D800, et al.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D5100 HDR Function
Leonard62 Gold Member
16th Nov 2011
slothead Gold Member
16th Nov 2011
DavidN4 Silver Member
17th Nov 2011
Andy47
17th Nov 2011
BillFuchs
19th Nov 2011

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Wed 16-Nov-11 07:09 PM
3017 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D5100 HDR Function"
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

Hi Tom,
I've taken a few photos with HDR and generally find it's not that impressive depending on the scene dynamic range. The HDR range is 1EV, 2EV or 3EV. It acts similar to the shadow/highlight adjustment in CS3 or above. It moves the black level to the right to lighten up the shadows. This is a dark scene as it was raining at the time.

Here's a scene shot with the HDR setting set to 2 EV.

Here's the same scene without HDR.

I can see where it might help the right scene but generally my landscape photos look better without it.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

slothead Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Wed 16-Nov-11 08:28 PM
1546 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D5100 HDR Function"
In response to Reply # 1

Frederick, US

Good feedback Len. And I stand corrected on the EV range available. I have made some images that look slightly better in the HDR mode, but nothing that I would write home about.

Thanks for contributing.

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D800, et al.

DavidN4 Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Nov 2011Thu 17-Nov-11 01:30 AM
266 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D5100 HDR Function"
In response to Reply # 0

Johns Creek, US

I've used the HDR function quite a few times. I've found that it helps me make interior shots balanced easily, where I have a bright window in the shot. Quick and easy for me, without even needing to use any fill flash.
It didn't look right on landscape shots to me, just where I had extreme contrast in the shot, from differnt lighting.

Andy47 Registered since 20th Aug 2011Thu 17-Nov-11 03:29 PM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D5100 HDR Function"
In response to Reply # 0

Albuquerque, US

I hate to say this, but the HDR on the Sony Nex7 I bought for my daughter works a heck of a lot better.

BillFuchs Registered since 10th Nov 2011Sat 19-Nov-11 09:10 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D5100 HDR Function"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I purchased the D5100 specifically for the HDR function (so I am obligated to use it I suppose). For my purpose, which is to photograph homes at twilight with only ambient light, it is excellent. It captures shots that would otherwise require flash, image processing, or simply have undesirable shaded areas. Like you, I programed the timer Fn button to activate HDR, and at first was rather upset I didn't have the option to leave the camera permanantely in the HDR mode, but all has worked out as it turns out about 50% of the photos made during a typical shoot are HDR, the balance are with flash. Regardless, I don't like giving up the self timer button, and would like to see greater flexibility with my choice of which button to give up (if there is one I could give up). I'm quite sure you won't be able to get to the two images, as they are processed into one photo I understand. What you describe about the Fn button being good for only one shot is operating as designed. We can only hope Nikon is listening and at a minumum, allows the Fn button to be a toggle on/off. I suppose the good news is the Fn button has the raised white plastic dot next to it, so I'm able to quickly locate it and press; it has become rather automatic for me (but yes, dumb design).

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4694 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.