Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4676
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon D5100 update firmware and battery grips." Previous topic | Next topic
alpikecp Registered since 12th Nov 2011Sat 12-Nov-11 10:14 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon D5100 update firmware and battery grips."

Minnetonka, US

Updated to the last firmware 1.0.1 for my D5100 and found it no longer recognizes my battery grip. How does one return to the previous version of the firmware?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon D5100 update firmware and battery grips.
gkaiseril Gold Member
12th Nov 2011
MEMcD Moderator
13th Nov 2011
alpikecp
13th Nov 2011
DavidN4 Silver Member
17th Nov 2011
DavidN4 Silver Member
18th Nov 2011
DavidN4 Silver Member
21st Nov 2011
genepaton
26th Nov 2011

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Sat 12-Nov-11 11:43 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon D5100 update firmware and battery grips."
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

You would have to contact Nikon support and have them perform the task.

Many firmware updates reset all of the camera settings.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 13-Nov-11 01:22 AM
25943 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon D5100 update firmware and battery grips."
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Al,

Welcome to Nikonians!
I can't think of a reason that the revised firmware could disable the connection with the battery grip.

Have you tried cleaning the electrical connections on the grip and in the camera?
You could also try disconnecting the third party battery grip, installing the battery in the camera and use it for a bit, then reinstalling the grip and see if it works.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

alpikecp Registered since 12th Nov 2011Sun 13-Nov-11 01:19 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon D5100 update firmware and battery grips."
In response to Reply # 2

Minnetonka, US

>You could also try disconnecting the third party battery grip,
>installing the battery in the camera and use it for a bit,

Hi Marty, thanks for the welcome.

It is a recently purchased grip and have tried all of your suggestions, but still no go.

Al

DavidN4 Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Nov 2011Thu 17-Nov-11 01:35 AM
268 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon D5100 update firmware and battery grips."
In response to Reply # 3

Johns Creek, US

I recently purchased a cheap grip, and it is on the way here. I expect it in the next couple of days. I'll post the result of if it works or not. I have already updated my firmware (right after I ordered it).

DavidN4 Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Nov 2011Fri 18-Nov-11 12:56 PM
268 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nikon D5100 update firmware and battery grips."
In response to Reply # 4

Johns Creek, US

I received the Mieke/Neewer grip, and it works fine with the new firmware. I have real Nikon batteries in each side right now, but have some cheap replacements on the way. I will be testing to see if it will work with just the cheap ones in it, or if ti gives an error. I'll post again once I see what battery configurations work and don't work.

For now, what is known is that the cheap grip works with real Nikon batteries with the new firmware on the D5100.

DavidN4 Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Nov 2011Mon 21-Nov-11 09:00 PM
#6. "RE: Nikon D5100 update firmware and battery grips."
In response to Reply # 5

Johns Creek, US

I received my batteries and charged them up. I inserted both and got the "Incorrect Battery" message. I then inserted the original Nikon battery in the left side, and then the cheap one in the right. I saw the green LED light up and go out, then took the original battery out, and inserted the other cheap battery. The camera worked fine on two cheap batteries then.

For me, when I use it with the grip, I'll probably use the cheap batteries, and when I go without a grip, I'll use the original Nikon batteries, so that I can get the maximum amount of shooting time.

genepaton Registered since 26th Nov 2011Sat 26-Nov-11 04:10 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Nikon D5100 update firmware and battery grips."
In response to Reply # 3

AU

Just thought i'd mention i had the same issue.
Purchased an after market handgrip, and 2 'gray market' batteries for the D5100.
Worked great until the firmware update.
I tried the last posts suggestion in inserting the original battery by itself in the grip, turning it on then off, then inserting other battery.
Took a little more fiddling with mine in moving the battery into the different slots, but now its working again.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4676 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.