nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D5000/D3000 series (Public) topic #4649
View in linear mode

Subject: "D5100 Error Message "Lighting is poor; flash recommende..." Previous topic | Next topic
BillFuchs   US  Registered since 10th Nov 2011 Thu 10-Nov-11 02:07 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5100 Error Message "Lighting is poor; flash recommended""
Thu 10-Nov-11 05:05 AM by BillFuchs

Even in brightly lighted conditions I have a flashing question mark. Pressing the ? button displays "Lighting is poor; flash recommended". My lenses are all AF-S fully compatible. If I point the camera at the sun, then the flashing question mark stops. I've reset all meneus to factory defaults.

Nikon tech support wants me to send them the camera for service, but they aren't able to confirm whether this is operating as designed. Can some of you with the D5100 confirm whether you too get this message -as I have no desire to part with my camera if the next one I get has the same issue...

Thanks,
Bill

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D5100 Error Message "Lighting is poor; flash recomm... JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit.
10th Nov 2011
Reply message RE: D5100 Error Message "Lighting is poor; flash recomm... BillFuchs
10th Nov 2011
Reply message RE: D5100 Error Message "Lighting is poor; flash recomm... aolander Silver Member
10th Nov 2011
Reply message RE: D5100 Error Message "Lighting is poor; flash recomm... blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
10th Nov 2011
Reply message RE: D5100 Error Message "Lighting is poor; flash recomm... BillFuchs
11th Nov 2011
     Reply message RE: D5100 Error Message "Lighting is poor; flash recomm... MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
11th Nov 2011
19th Nov 2011
Reply message RE: D5100 Error Message "Lighting is poor; flash recomm... Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library
19th Nov 2011
19th Nov 2011
          Reply message RE: D5100 Error Message "Lighting is poor; flash recomm... Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library
20th Nov 2011

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit.   Seattle, WA, US  Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006 Thu 10-Nov-11 03:18 AM
5307 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D5100 Error Message "Lighting is poor; flash recommended""
In response to Reply # 0

What are the lighting conditions you are in?
Which lens is attached?
What are the settings of the camera? ISO? scene mode? P/A/S/M? Chosen aperture? Chosen shutter speed?

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 ED

BillFuchs   US  Registered since 10th Nov 2011 Thu 10-Nov-11 05:02 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D5100 Error Message "Lighting is poor; flash recommended""
In response to Reply # 1

I have several AF-S lenses, no difference with one versus the other.
Bright full sunlight conditions.
ISO auto, P.

I should add, the photo's I take appear correct... it's just annoying that the ? is flashing.

Thanks for helping.

aolander Silver Member  Nevis, US  Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006 Thu 10-Nov-11 01:45 PM
3434 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D5100 Error Message "Lighting is poor; flash recommended""
In response to Reply # 0

In bright sunlight, the camera is probably "thinking" you should have some fill flash to tame the harsh shadows.

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas   Richmond, US  Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004 Thu 10-Nov-11 02:48 PM
27009 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: D5100 Error Message "Lighting is poor; flash recommended""
In response to Reply # 0

Tell us more about the EXIF data of one of these shots - shutter speed, ISO (actual), aperture.

From the sound of it, there's nothing wrong with the camera, but it'll be easier to tell from this information.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

BillFuchs   US  Registered since 10th Nov 2011 Fri 11-Nov-11 01:01 AM
#5. "RE: D5100 Error Message "Lighting is poor; flash recommended""
In response to Reply # 4

P
ISO 100
Spd 1/250
Ap F8
EV 0.0
Focal Lenght 30mm
Lense 18-55 / 3.5-5.6
AF / VR A
Flash Type blank
Sync mode blank
flash blank
WB Auto, 0, 0
Color Space sRGB
Picture Ctrl Standard
Sharpening 3
Noise Red HI, ISO, Norm
Act D-Light Auto
HDR Blank
Retouch Blank

Thanks for your support... much appreciated.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas   US  Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007 Fri 11-Nov-11 11:01 AM
27453 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D5100 Error Message "Lighting is poor; flash recommended""
In response to Reply # 5

Hi Bill,

If the image this data is from is correctly exposed, I can't think of any reason for the ? to flash as neither the shutter speed or the aperture are anywhere close to their limits.
I would send the camera to Nikon Service.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

BillFuchs   US  Registered since 10th Nov 2011 Sat 19-Nov-11 03:23 PM
#7. "RE: D5100 Error Message "Lighting is poor; flash recommended""
In response to Reply # 0

The good, the bad, the ugly, of Nikon Service... Well, I did send in my D5100 for service with a detailed description of the issue. I sent it USPS flat rate medium box on Saturday and it was returned Friday (Good), I got an email from Nikon Service that allowed me to track the progress of the "repair" (Good), I have the same problem, no improvement (bad), they included a note that I should use the flash, duh. (ugly). Well, unless another D5100 user can confirm their camera doesn't almost always display the flashing ? mark, and subseqent message, I will have to presume this is indeed the way the camera is designed and I will just have to use the flash as instructed (sarcasm). Anyone out there with a D5100 who can confirm whether you too have the flashing question mark and message "lighting is poor, flash recommended"?

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library   Hatboro, Pa, US  Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009 Sat 19-Nov-11 05:59 PM
3614 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D5100 Error Message "Lighting is poor; flash recommended""
In response to Reply # 7

Bill,

I can get my D5100 with 18-200mm lens to act the same as yours but only under certain conditions. The scene must be high dynamic range with about half/half bright and dark. If I move the camera slightly away from the bright area so that the scene has more dark then light then the flashing ? goes away even though the shutter speed and lens aperture stays the same. This is opposite to what I would expect and this is even with the shutter speed at 1/250 and higher. This even happens at exactly the same point when I'm in Aperture priority mode as well. It seems like the processor doesn't know what to do with the very high dynamic range scene so it blinks. Does this happen mostly when there is a lot of bright sky in the photo?

While this does seem like strange behavior it appears it's in the camera design.

Len

BillFuchs   US  Registered since 10th Nov 2011 Sat 19-Nov-11 09:53 PM
#9. "RE: D5100 Error Message "Lighting is poor; flash recommended""
In response to Reply # 8

Hi Len, I did some test shots also 18-200mm lens with high dymanic range subject (a dark green hedge and sky above) and have the problem, but aiming only at the hedge or sky resolves the issue. This test subject of course is a rather signficant contrast, and understandable. I suppose that the concept of using a flash to fill shadows is so basic that I really don't need an error message telling me the obvious which is what threw me. The HDR feature of the camera (which I reluctantly assigned to my timer button) does a pretty good job of compensating for this. Anyway, I owe you a ton of thanks for pointing out it is working as designed - now, why Nikon tech support couldn't offer the same information suggesting the only solution was to mail it in for repair is a bit disappointing. Thanks again! Bill

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library   Hatboro, Pa, US  Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009 Sun 20-Nov-11 01:26 AM
3614 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D5100 Error Message "Lighting is poor; flash recommended""
In response to Reply # 9

Hi Bill,
As far as Nikon Tech support goes they would actually have to try the camera to see how it operates. Who ever you talked to probably never touched one. With your description and EXIF data it was easy to duplicate. Enjoy your D5100. I've only had mine for a couple months but find it's fun to use and quite a pleasant departure from the mainstream D300 and D700.

Len

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D5000/D3000 series (Public) topic #4649 Previous topic | Next topic