nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Need your help please - help pick my wifes Christmas present!

Coots82

US
9 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Coots82 Registered since 10th Nov 2011
Thu 10-Nov-11 12:47 AM

Hello everyone. I will be the first to admit that I know very little regarding photography. This is my main reason for coming to a place like you have here. I know enough to carry on a casual conversation if I ever find myself in one. So please forgive me if I misinterpret anything or mislead you in my question. I'm here for my wife and to try and find her a decent Christmas present.

She is a hobbyist when it comes to photography, she likes to drive around the back country and do a lot of wildlife stuff as well as other subjects. She is by no means a 'pro', but she really does enjoy the camera time.

Last year I bought her the combo pack from Costco that had the d5000 along with a bunch of accessories, filters, bag, cleaning kit, everything I could think of to get her started. She loved it so much that this year I am leaning toward upgrading her to a different lens. We have some Bald Eadgles around that are simply just out of reach for her camera.

I know I've read several reviews etc. about the Sigma 150-500 or 'Bigma' lens. So I'm really interested in hearing your thoughts on this lens.

First I should probably give you my budget. I'd like to hang around the $1,000 mark. I could go a couple hundred more if there is a significant reason to. I'd like to be able to get the UV Filter with whatever lens for protection reasons.

Also, is there a reason at this point, for my lack of better knowledge... to look into getting a teleconverter to go with it?

I have noticed that quality filters for the 86mm size filter is a good bit higher than her other lenses lol. So for this type of lens do you guys prefer Tiffen, B+H, Hoya?

So what says this great community?

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Need your help please - help pick my wifes Christma...
          Reply message RE: help pick my wifes lens for Christmas present!

G