Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4648
View in linear mode

Subject: "Need your help please - help pick my wifes Christmas pr..." Previous topic | Next topic
Coots82 Registered since 10th Nov 2011Thu 10-Nov-11 12:47 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Need your help please - help pick my wifes Christmas present!"

US

Hello everyone. I will be the first to admit that I know very little regarding photography. This is my main reason for coming to a place like you have here. I know enough to carry on a casual conversation if I ever find myself in one. So please forgive me if I misinterpret anything or mislead you in my question. I'm here for my wife and to try and find her a decent Christmas present.

She is a hobbyist when it comes to photography, she likes to drive around the back country and do a lot of wildlife stuff as well as other subjects. She is by no means a 'pro', but she really does enjoy the camera time.

Last year I bought her the combo pack from Costco that had the d5000 along with a bunch of accessories, filters, bag, cleaning kit, everything I could think of to get her started. She loved it so much that this year I am leaning toward upgrading her to a different lens. We have some Bald Eadgles around that are simply just out of reach for her camera.

I know I've read several reviews etc. about the Sigma 150-500 or 'Bigma' lens. So I'm really interested in hearing your thoughts on this lens.

First I should probably give you my budget. I'd like to hang around the $1,000 mark. I could go a couple hundred more if there is a significant reason to. I'd like to be able to get the UV Filter with whatever lens for protection reasons.

Also, is there a reason at this point, for my lack of better knowledge... to look into getting a teleconverter to go with it?

I have noticed that quality filters for the 86mm size filter is a good bit higher than her other lenses lol. So for this type of lens do you guys prefer Tiffen, B+H, Hoya?

So what says this great community?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Need your help please - help pick my wifes Christma...
Coots82
11th Nov 2011
JosephK Silver Member
11th Nov 2011
MEMcD Moderator
11th Nov 2011
Coots82
11th Nov 2011
MEMcD Moderator
11th Nov 2011
          Reply message RE: help pick my wifes lens for Christmas present!
RRRoger Silver Member
16th Nov 2011

Coots82 Registered since 10th Nov 2011Fri 11-Nov-11 01:17 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Need your help please - help pick my wifes Christmas present!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Anyone? Please?

I'd like to order it sometime soon if you guys think this is the best lens in the budget.

JosephK Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Fri 11-Nov-11 05:51 AM
3712 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Need your help please - help pick my wifes Christmas present!"
In response to Reply # 1

Seattle, WA, US

You may have better luck asking in the lens forum.

One option would be to get a gift card, then let her pick from the lenses in this range and budget.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 ED

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 11-Nov-11 10:21 AM
25006 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Need your help please - help pick my wifes Christmas present!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Bradley,

Welcome to Nikonians!
What lenses does your wife currently have?
The Sigma 150-500mm is fully compatible with her D5000 as it has a Hyper Sonic Motor built into the lens. As long as she will be shooting in decent ambient light, the 150-500mm should serve her very well. As for purchasing a TC to go with it, as far as I remember a Sigma TC will not even mount on the 150-500mm as the lens was never designed to be used with a TC.

Another option though about $350.00 over your budget new is the Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED IF AF-S. It works quite well with the Nikkor TC-14E II and even the TC-17E II in decent light.

As for filters, if you want a filter for protection, get a clear filter and make sure it is multi-coated. For protection I use Nikon NC filters. I also have several B+W filters as well.
Hoya filters are over priced for what you get. Marumi makes a quality filter and at a very good price.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Coots82 Registered since 10th Nov 2011Fri 11-Nov-11 02:40 PM
#4. "RE: Need your help please - help pick my wifes Christmas present!"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Thanks for the reply!

Without me looking up or going through her camera stuff (which she would know about), the only two lenses she has came with the kit I bought her at Costco.

To my knowledge those lenses are the

18-55 Nikon nikkor with the VR and all that.
55-200 Nikon nikkor with the VR and all that other stuff.

These are the two that came with the kit and she hasn't purchased any since then.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 11-Nov-11 09:57 PM
25006 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Need your help please - help pick my wifes Christmas present!"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hi Bradley,

The rule of thumb for shooting birds is you can never have enough focal length, thus favoring the Sigma 150-500 mm.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberWed 16-Nov-11 01:18 PM
3086 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: help pick my wifes lens for Christmas present!"
In response to Reply # 5

Monterey Bay, US

I've had two Sigma 150-500 lens.
Be sure there is a money back guarantee.
One was wonderful, the other a dud.

I've been shooting for many years and recently started taking off the "protective" filters and get better pictures.
I have never scratched a lens element.

As for teleconverters, the discontinued N-AF 1.5X TELEPLUS MC DG KENKO
works best for me.
With good light, it even AutoFocuses at 500mm.
The Kenko 1.4x is also compatible.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, ( file)

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4648 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.