nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4646
View in linear mode

Subject: "D5100 Shutter Release Obstacle" Previous topic | Next topic
slothead Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Wed 09-Nov-11 07:04 PM
1590 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5100 Shutter Release Obstacle"

Frederick, US

I cannot for the life of me figure out why there are times when my D5100 can't release the shutter. It doesn't work anywhere like my D300S or my D700 (although a little like my D5000, but not quite as finicky). I have tried all the auto focus modes (AF-A, AF-S, AF-C) and it will not reliably release the shutter unless I have an edge in the composition and have recently focused it (I have assigned the AE-L/AF-L button to command the focus and disassociated the shutter release button from the AF function - and of course this is a standard method of use for the D300S and D700).

This has recently caused me grief when trying to capture a blank wall to test my sensor cleaning process/result. I have to resort to setting it to manual focus to take any picture of "nothing."

Can anyone tell my why it is doing this?

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D800, D750, and a handful of lenses.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D5100 Shutter Release Obstacle
blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
09th Nov 2011
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
11th Nov 2011
slothead Gold Member
12th Nov 2011
Pixelcat
27th Nov 2011
rupu
28th Nov 2011

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Wed 09-Nov-11 11:55 PM
26905 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: D5100 Shutter Release Obstacle"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

I would guess that the release priority is set to focus, rather than frame rate. In other words, it only will release the shutter if the selected AF target is over an in-focus subject.

I don't know which setting on a D5100 fixes this, but it's certainly something that's been on all of the other DSLRs.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 11-Nov-11 11:34 AM
27014 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D5100 Shutter Release Obstacle"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Tom,

Do you have Custom Setting: a1 AF-C Priority Selection - set to Release Priority?

The default setting on the D5100 is "focus", while the default setting on the D300 series, D700, D2 series, and D3 series bodies is "Release". See pages 157 and 158 in the D5100 Users Manual.

Note that there is no AF-S Piority Selection available on the D5100 so you will be limited to using AF-C mode.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

slothead Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Sat 12-Nov-11 03:49 AM
1590 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D5100 Shutter Release Obstacle"
In response to Reply # 2

Frederick, US

Hot damn guys! Thanks Brian and Marty! It sure was set to focus. That has to be the problem. I set it to release, and even though I've not tested it yet, I'll bet big bucks that the problem is resolved. Thanks again guys.

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D800, D750, and a handful of lenses.

Pixelcat Registered since 18th Oct 2011Sun 27-Nov-11 09:54 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D5100 Shutter Release Obstacle"
In response to Reply # 3

Austin, US

>Hot damn guys! Thanks Brian and Marty! It sure was set to
>focus. That has to be the problem. I set it to release, and
>even though I've not tested it yet, I'll bet big bucks that
>the problem is resolved. Thanks again guys.

I was wondering about the same problem! You got a twofer--this was just the answer I was looking for.

So DOUBLE thanks!

Diana

rupu Registered since 07th Nov 2011Mon 28-Nov-11 09:14 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D5100 Shutter Release Obstacle"
In response to Reply # 2

Bokaro Steel City, IN

Thank you Tom,
Though i could understand that it the phenomena was due to the set focus, I did not know how to change it.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4646 Previous topic | Next topic