Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4639
View in linear mode

Subject: "Just when I thought I was "getting" It" Previous topic | Next topic
fires1 Registered since 04th Oct 2011Tue 08-Nov-11 07:22 PM
81 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Just when I thought I was "getting" It"

pinellas park, US

Took a bunch of pictures on vacation (Manhattan), and used the 5100 extensively for the first time. I went jpeg fine but thought I would try the RAW + jpeg fine for quite a few. Now that I am home and going through all these I am confused. I thought at this setting I would get two (2) pictures of each shot, which I did get. Naming nomenclature is:
DSC_1111.jpg and the second is DSC_1111 (05).jpg When I pull these pic's up in viewNX2 they bothshow as 6 bit JPG's. No indication of RAW, cannot do the RAW adjustment's, white balance etc.

So I need to be educated, have to admit it. LOL going through the manual told me nothing. I am guessing that the file with the parenthesis DSC_xxxx (xx).jpg would be the Raw, as its numbers (xx)correspond to my shooting.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Tue 08-Nov-11 08:59 PM
4616 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Just when I thought I was "getting" It"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

Your initial thought is correct. When shooting Raw+JPG, you get two files, dsc_xxxx.nef and dsc_xxxx.jpg, for each shot.

The catch comes in when transferring these files from the card to the computer. Different software may do different things.

The "(nn)" is used by the operating system to resolve duplicate file names. In this case, that change in the name would "break" any name matching between the JPG and NEF file. Sorting by date might help matching them back up.

I don't use ViewNX, so I cannot help you with that part.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 ED

SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010Tue 08-Nov-11 10:03 PM
1754 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Just when I thought I was "getting" It"
In response to Reply # 0

US

in the lowest tool bar at the top of ViewNX2, there is an icon that looks like two photos overlapping each other ( next to the "sort w/a pic of a camera" icon This is where you choose to see the Nef/Jpeg as a single image or seperate. Try clicking on this to see your raw file.

Sheri Becker

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

fires1 Registered since 04th Oct 2011Wed 09-Nov-11 05:52 PM
81 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Just when I thought I was "getting" It"
In response to Reply # 2

pinellas park, US

Thanks for the replies. I know what I was doing wrong. I hooked up the 5100 straight to the PC and copied its files right to the hard drive. Thats why I had the(xx), and all named .jpg. When I imported them through viewnx it all came in properly. NEF and jpg. So learning the 5100, step 1, learning the program, step 2....lol

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Thu 10-Nov-11 01:15 AM
4616 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Just when I thought I was "getting" It"
In response to Reply # 3

Seattle, WA, US

Ignoring the software part...

Using a card reader instead of attaching the camera to the computer might be better since:
- a card reader is faster
- a card reader does not drain the camera battery
- the computer easily recognizes the card reader without Nikon drivers.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 ED

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4639 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.