Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4624
View in linear mode

Subject: "D5100 and SB700" Previous topic | Next topic
Andy47 Registered since 20th Aug 2011Mon 07-Nov-11 09:58 PM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5100 and SB700"

Albuquerque, US

I'm very happy with my new SB700, except . . . When I connect the SB700 to the camera with the SC-28 cord, the camera's built-in flash will not fire simultaneously with the SB700. Can this be fixed or am I stuck buying another flash?

I have already learned that the camera will only serve in commander mode when the SB700 is on the hotshoe, which means Nikon expects you to have two SB700s (or better yet, an SB900 & a 700) in order to have remote firing. Is a slave flash that fires in response to the main flash (less expensive than another SB700) a good option?

After years of fooling with photography, I'm determined to master (well, at least conquer my incompetence regarding) off-camera lighting using a flash. Thanks.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Mon 07-Nov-11 11:26 PM
3020 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D5100 and SB700"
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

Hello Andy,

You just discovered one of the limitations of the D40/60/3100/5100 bodies. The built in flash can't be used as a flash commander. The D90/300/700 bodies can. So you need either the SU-800 or one of the flashes that can be used as the master. Of the current models that's the SB900/800/700. The SB400 cannot be used as a master flash.

As far as using the SC-28 goes, that's not a good fit. The cord end pushes the pop-up flash half way closed.

Len

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 08-Nov-11 04:09 AM
25891 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D5100 and SB700"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Andy,

>I'm very happy with my new SB700, except . . . When I connect
>the SB700 to the camera with the SC-28 cord, the camera's
>built-in flash will not fire simultaneously with the SB700.
>Can this be fixed or am I stuck buying another flash?

There is nothing to fix. The built in Speedlight was designed to not work when there is a Speedlight in the hotshoe or attached via an SC-17, SC-28, or SC-29 TTL extension cord.

>I have already learned that the camera will only serve in
>commander mode when the SB700 is on the hotshoe, which means
>Nikon expects you to have two SB700s (or better yet, an SB900
>& a 700) in order to have remote firing.

The D5100 camera can not provide Commander mode because Commander mode is not incorporated into the built in Speedlight. Since Commander mode is built into the SB-700, when the SB-700 is in your D5100's hotshoe, the SB-700 provides Commander capability.
If you want to take advantage of Commander mode and i-TTL wireless flash control you will need an: SB-600, SB-700, SB-800, or SB-900 as a remote.

>Is a slave flash
>that fires in response to the main flash (less expensive than
>another SB700) a good option?

You will have to use Manual flash control on all Speedlights and Manual exposure control on your camera.
You can use the built in Speedlight (in Manual flash mode) to trigger your remote SB-700 (set in SU-4 mode (see page B-20 of the SB-700 Users Manual). Again you will have to have the camera in Manual exposure mode and set the aperture based on the flash to subject distance.

>After years of fooling with photography, I'm determined to
>master (well, at least conquer my incompetence regarding)
>off-camera lighting using a flash. Thanks.

Practice makes perfect.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Andy47 Registered since 20th Aug 2011Tue 08-Nov-11 05:10 PM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D5100 and SB700"
In response to Reply # 2

Albuquerque, US

Thanks for the great info.

I'd already discovered that little glitch of the built-in popping up with the SC-28.

So if I understand correctly, to use the P mode on the camera, I've got to have two speedlights (excluding the SB400). But if I use the M mode, another model that responds to the flash will work.

I guess if I'm going to go to the trouble of setting up a second light source, I should know how to use the M mode. I better get practicing.

Thanks again.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 09-Nov-11 01:24 AM
25891 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D5100 and SB700"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Hi Andy,

>So if I understand correctly, to use the P mode on the
>camera, I've got to have two speedlights (excluding the
>SB400).

Using a single Speedlight (Built in Speedlight, SB-400, SB-600, SB-700, SB-800, or SB-900) you can take advantage of i-TTL flash control in All exposure modes (P, S, A, & M).

When using multiple Speedlights (SB-700, SB-800, SB-900 or SU-800 in Commander mode and one or more SB-600, SB-700, SB-800, and/or SB-900 Speedlights in Remote mode) you can take advantage of wireless i-TTL flash control in All exposure modes (P, S, A, & M). Commander mode will also allow you to use wirelessly use Manual flash mode (controlling the power of up to three groups of remote Speedlights from the Commander unit) with the camera in Manual exposure mode.

>But if I use the M mode, another model that responds
>to the flash will work.

Yes. As I wrote above, you can set the built in Speedlight to Manual flash mode and use your SB-700 as a Remote in SU-4 (optical slave) mode with the camera set in Manual exposure mode. You can use the trial & error method to adjust the exposure using the histogram.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4624 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.