Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4581
View in linear mode

Subject: "D5100 in Manual mode STUCK" Previous topic | Next topic
rotorshawn Registered since 31st Oct 2011Mon 31-Oct-11 09:07 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5100 in Manual mode STUCK"

US

On my D5100, in the M (manual) mode, my shutter is stuck at 1.3" and f5. When I roll the wheel, it changes, then goes right back. Basically, I've lost my manual settings. Same in the A, S and P modes.. Auto works fine (but it's auto)

Is there a MASTER reset or a firmware REINSTALL I can do? I've tried resetting the setting in both the Custom Settings and /Shooting Menu. I've also removed the battery for a period and not I have nothing left to try? Is there an internal battery that can be pulled?

suggestions before I become a FULL AUTO guy (which I don't want to do...)... I have a 5DII and it my goto until I get this fixed..

Thanks

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D5100 in Manual mode STUCK
ronaldnd Silver Member
01st Nov 2011
rotorshawn
02nd Nov 2011
blw Moderator
02nd Nov 2011
blw Moderator
02nd Nov 2011
rotorshawn
02nd Nov 2011
blw Moderator
02nd Nov 2011
pjonesCET Gold Member
02nd Nov 2011
rotorshawn
02nd Nov 2011
IrregularPulse
08th Nov 2011
rotorshawn
08th Nov 2011
rotorshawn
08th Nov 2011
DuhRock Silver Member
08th Nov 2011

ronaldnd Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Apr 2008Tue 01-Nov-11 11:44 PM
39 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D5100 in Manual mode STUCK"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

Hi, about that stuck shutter, that sounds very frustrating. A year ago when I had a D90 and it was acting up I called Nikon (here in Canada) to get the right instructions for shipping the camera to them for repairs. The tech asked me about the issue and then he explained to me what was happening and I shipped it to them and in a short itme I had the camera back in fine form. It might not hurt to call Nikon and talk to someone and see what they say, if it's fairly new might still be under warranty? I bought a D5100 a couple of months back and its been performing flawlessly. Keep us posted, I would sure like to know the outcome.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

rotorshawn Registered since 31st Oct 2011Wed 02-Nov-11 02:57 AM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D5100 in Manual mode STUCK"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Well. I hope to find out.. I'm not really interested in sending it away. It's just not worth it. I have a 5D Mark II that works great so I'm afraid that the D5100 will probably just sit on a shelf unless I can find a fix through perhaps a firmware update or at least the current firmware re-installed... I'll keep you posted..

Shawn
Steadicam Owner/Operator
Helicopter/GyroCopter Pilot
Photographer/Videographer
Video Editor

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Wed 02-Nov-11 04:12 PM
26714 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: D5100 in Manual mode STUCK"
In response to Reply # 2

Richmond, US

> I'm not really interested in sending it away. It's just not worth it.

I don't follow this logic. It's useless to you on the shelf.

This failure is the sort of thing that is likely to be covered under Nikon warranty, so it probably won't even cost you anything.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Wed 02-Nov-11 11:08 AM
26714 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: D5100 in Manual mode STUCK"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Sounds to me as if you have a hardware problem. If you wait for a software fix, you'll be waiting forever.

_____

rotorshawn Registered since 31st Oct 2011Wed 02-Nov-11 12:54 PM
#4. "RE: D5100 in Manual mode STUCK"
In response to Reply # 3

US

I don't think it's hardware since full auto works perfectly... Everything adjusts (iris, shitter, etc...) in auto mode...

I've also tried other lenses and the same thing..

Shawn
Steadicam Owner/Operator
Video Editor

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Wed 02-Nov-11 04:11 PM
#5. "RE: D5100 in Manual mode STUCK"
In response to Reply # 4

Richmond, US

Full auto doesn't require the switch/dial interfaces, which is where I think the problem is. The fact that full auto works perfectly is, to me, a clear indication that it's the switches/dials that are not connected, rather than a firmware problem.

_____

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Wed 02-Nov-11 05:33 PM
573 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#7. "RE: D5100 in Manual mode STUCK"
In response to Reply # 5

Martinsville, US

From what I've heard the 5100 is not a cheap Camera. I Could see a cheap $49.00 digital Camera Throwing it away. But a 5100 Nikon. Cheapest I've seen one of those is around $800.00. To me that is not Chump change. I Bought a 300 from Sear 3 days before the 3100 came out and spent $500.00 That put a Crimp in my finances for a year.

If its defective, send it back make Nikon fix it.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/
http://www.phillipjones-cet.net

rotorshawn Registered since 31st Oct 2011Wed 02-Nov-11 06:43 PM
#8. "RE: D5100 in Manual mode STUCK"
In response to Reply # 5

US

>Full auto doesn't require the switch/dial interfaces, which
>is where I think the problem is. The fact that full auto
>works perfectly is, to me, a clear indication that it's the
>switches/dials that are not connected, rather than a firmware
>problem.

What's strange is the switches are working because the values change when I roll the thumb dial. Then they immediately change back. Seems like a glitch more than mechanical.

Shawn
Steadicam Owner/Operator
Video Editor

IrregularPulse Registered since 18th Oct 2011Tue 08-Nov-11 12:42 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D5100 in Manual mode STUCK"
In response to Reply # 8

US

>>Full auto doesn't require the switch/dial interfaces,
>which
>>is where I think the problem is. The fact that full auto
>>works perfectly is, to me, a clear indication that it's
>the
>>switches/dials that are not connected, rather than a
>firmware
>>problem.
>
>What's strange is the switches are working because the values
>change when I roll the thumb dial. Then they immediately
>change back. Seems like a glitch more than mechanical.

It could still be the switch or electronics interfacing with the switch. It's not a software bug, or all the 5100's would have it. It's very likely it's circuit board issue. Which means you send it in, nikon isolates the board with the problem and swaps in a new board, throwing the defective one away. Electronics are too cheap to manufacture. It would be a simple, fast swap of parts and you'd have your camera back in no time. I just bought a 5100 and got a great deal at $650 with lens. I could not imagine just sitting it on the shelf to collect dust over something like this. You must have more money than you know what to do with.

rotorshawn Registered since 31st Oct 2011Tue 08-Nov-11 01:58 PM
#10. "RE: D5100 in Manual mode STUCK"
In response to Reply # 9

US

The dial worls fine while in the menu. It's just in the shooting side it does not work.

Shawn
Steadicam Owner/Operator
Video Editor

rotorshawn Registered since 31st Oct 2011Tue 08-Nov-11 02:02 PM
#11. "RE: D5100 in Manual mode STUCK"
In response to Reply # 10

US

Ive actually been using it for video too and since there is no manual setting for shooting video, it works fine (for a full auto video camera). I think that if the video mode had true manual settings I would get it fixed, but it makes no difference in video mode at this point.

Shawn
Steadicam Owner/Operator
Video Editor

DuhRock Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2011Tue 08-Nov-11 02:11 PM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: D5100 in Manual mode STUCK"
In response to Reply # 10

San Diego, US

I had a similar experience with my D7000 a couple of days ago. I had left bracketing on. Turned it off and back to normal.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4581 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.