nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4490
View in linear mode

Subject: "D5100 Focus point" Previous topic | Next topic
apb Registered since 11th Aug 2009Sun 09-Oct-11 08:18 AM
27 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5100 Focus point"

US

I have been unable to find a way to display the focus point used when I review the image after taking a picture. Am I just missing something simple or did Nikon not provide that option on the D5100?

Archie

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D5100 Focus point
Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library
09th Oct 2011
apb
09th Oct 2011
Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library
09th Oct 2011
apb
10th Oct 2011
JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit.
10th Oct 2011
10th Oct 2011
JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit.
10th Oct 2011
13th Oct 2011

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sun 09-Oct-11 03:24 PM
3420 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D5100 Focus point"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 09-Oct-11 03:48 PM by Leonard62

Hatboro, Pa, US

I haven't been able to find a menu item that allows display of the focus point in the camera monitor, like the D700 does for instance.

You should be able to display the focus point using either View NX2 or Capture NX2. However you must have the latest version installed even if you are looking at jpeg's. If you are looking at a jpg using a version that has not been updated prior to the release of the D5100, the focus point won't display. As soon as you upgrade it should display fine.

Here's a screenshot of a raw D5100 file on View NX2 showing the focus point. If you can see them the thumbnails at the bottom of the program all show the focus point as well.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

apb Registered since 11th Aug 2009Sun 09-Oct-11 09:09 PM
27 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D5100 Focus point"
In response to Reply # 1

US

I know how to do it in NX2 but would really like to be able to do it in the camera. I don't understand why Nikon would not provide that as it seems trivial to accomplish.

Archie

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sun 09-Oct-11 09:50 PM
3420 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D5100 Focus point"
In response to Reply # 2

Hatboro, Pa, US

Archie,
My guess is it's a marketing decision to remove some of these features to steer more advanced users to the higher priced cameras. I don't miss this particular feature since I use single point AF and find it's pretty accurate. But what I do miss is you can't really lock the focus point like on other bodies. It has a tendency to jump from center at will and you have to press OK to re-center it. I actually bought the D5100 for three reasons, the swivel LCD monitor, the ability to use a couple non-AI lenses and the D7000 sensor performance. In that respect it's been very good. Actually it's replaced my D300 for when I want to use a DX body.

Len

apb Registered since 11th Aug 2009Mon 10-Oct-11 02:24 AM
#4. "RE: D5100 Focus point"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Well that makes some sense.

I bought the 5100 for my wife because it is light (she has some physical problems that make light attractive) and I would like to check where the focus point was when I am helping her in the field.

It is such a simple thing I didn't think to check the feature. It probably would not have changed things though.

Archie

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Mon 10-Oct-11 03:31 AM
4894 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D5100 Focus point"
In response to Reply # 4

Seattle, WA, US

Do any DSLRs have this feature?

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D200, 17-55mm f/2.8 DX, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 ED, D70S

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Mon 10-Oct-11 02:04 PM
#6. "RE: D5100 Focus point"
In response to Reply # 5
Mon 10-Oct-11 02:18 PM by Leonard62

Hatboro, Pa, US

>Do any DSLRs have this feature?
>
>---------+---------+---------+---------+
>Joseph K
>Seattle, WA, USA
>
>D200, 17-55mm f/2.8 DX, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
>18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 ED, D70S
>

Most mid and high end Nikons have this feature.

It's always in the Playback menu ----> Display mode ----> Focus area.

Your D200 has it as well as the D3, D2, D700, D300, D7000, D90. I don't believe the D3100 or D5100 has it. In looking through some other manuals I don't believe the D40 or D60 have this feature either.

Len

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Mon 10-Oct-11 09:02 PM
4894 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D5100 Focus point"
In response to Reply # 6

Seattle, WA, US

Good call on my D200 having this feature. However, after reading its description, I now remember why I do not have it turned on:

"Active focus area (if single-servo AF is used with dynamic-area AF,
group dynamic-AF, or closest-subject priority, area where focus first
locked) is shown in red in photo information display."

While the "first locked" point can be informative, the "actual used" point would be much more worth while. Any chance that has changing in the newer cameras?

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D200, 17-55mm f/2.8 DX, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 ED, D70S

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Thu 13-Oct-11 01:49 PM
#8. "RE: D5100 Focus point"
In response to Reply # 7

Hatboro, Pa, US

>"Active focus area (if single-servo AF is used with
>dynamic-area AF,
>group dynamic-AF, or closest-subject priority, area where
>focus first
>locked) is shown in red in photo information display."
>
>While the "first locked" point can be informative,
>the "actual used" point would be much more worth
>while. Any chance that has changing in the newer cameras?
>
I checked the manuals of all the newer cameras and "first locked" is the focus point mentioned.

Len

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4490 Previous topic | Next topic