Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4485
View in linear mode

Subject: "My first DSLR D5100 Couple questions" Previous topic | Next topic
fires1 Registered since 04th Oct 2011Wed 05-Oct-11 05:42 PM
81 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"My first DSLR D5100 Couple questions"

pinellas park, US

I hope this in the right forum. I am new here and have read ALOT!!
Not really a beginner as back in the 80's Me and the Ex had a Canon AE1 ( ex got that one) My question pertains to the video aspect of the 5100.
In short I am going to a family reunion in CT and then to Manhattan to visit the wife's twins. What I want to acheive (for video) is the best settings where I do not have to "fiddle" with focus, and other settings. Pretty much point and shoot. Also with the least amount of post production. There will be about 75 family members (outdoor setting) so I am sure most video will be wide shots with some individual closer shots of families. So far trying different combinations, it seems to me that I would leave the top mode dial in AUTO, the lens in MANUAL, 1080 30, AF-area auto, and I have left focus to AUTO, since the lense is manual.
So far with these settings it appears (more testing)that I can get fairly close to something and the go wide and it stays in focus.

So if anyone has other ideas for me to try I would really appreciate them. This reunion is a once in a lifetime event, As my Dad is 88yo.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberThu 06-Oct-11 12:52 AM
3087 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: My first DSLR D5100 Couple questions"
In response to Reply # 0

Monterey Bay, US

There are a few video threads here but a lot more in the Nikonians DSLR Video forum.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4485 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.