nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

My first DSLR D5100 Couple questions

fires1

pinellas park, US
81 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
fires1 Registered since 04th Oct 2011
Wed 05-Oct-11 05:42 PM

I hope this in the right forum. I am new here and have read ALOT!!
Not really a beginner as back in the 80's Me and the Ex had a Canon AE1 ( ex got that one) My question pertains to the video aspect of the 5100.
In short I am going to a family reunion in CT and then to Manhattan to visit the wife's twins. What I want to acheive (for video) is the best settings where I do not have to "fiddle" with focus, and other settings. Pretty much point and shoot. Also with the least amount of post production. There will be about 75 family members (outdoor setting) so I am sure most video will be wide shots with some individual closer shots of families. So far trying different combinations, it seems to me that I would leave the top mode dial in AUTO, the lens in MANUAL, 1080 30, AF-area auto, and I have left focus to AUTO, since the lense is manual.
So far with these settings it appears (more testing)that I can get fairly close to something and the go wide and it stays in focus.

So if anyone has other ideas for me to try I would really appreciate them. This reunion is a once in a lifetime event, As my Dad is 88yo.

G