Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4460
View in linear mode

Subject: "Assignment Advise / D5100" Previous topic | Next topic
BillS52 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Apr 2011Sat 01-Oct-11 10:24 PM
187 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Assignment Advise / D5100"
Sun 02-Oct-11 01:46 PM by BillS52

US

Next week I have two photo assignments and I'm looking for a little advise.

My Camera Bag: D5100, SB-700 Speed Flash, Kit Lens 18-55, 50mm F1.8G, 55-300 f4.5-5.6G, Remote Control, Two Tri-pods

Assignment 1 - Golf Tournament - Team Shots
I will be stationed at Hole 5 and I am to take Posed Team Shots. Each Team will be 6 golfers.

I was thinking I'd Tri-Pod mount the camera with the Kit Lens 18-55, and camera-mount the flash. Use the flash diffuser and fire the camera with a remote.

I'll compose through the view finder, and then stand beside the camera when I fire the shutter (hoping I can see who shuts their eyes).

Suggestions welcome

Assignment 2 - Senior Portrait - They requested outside shot

I think most senior portraits are Head and Shoulder (I'll look around but I think that's it)

Keep ISO at 400 or less, Camera on Tri-Pod, 50mm f18g with Aperture Priority at f2.8 (more subject details and good background Bokeh), ....Flash - SB-700 - not sure if I want to tri-pod mount the flash or not.

Again suggestions welcomed

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

WildIsle Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Jan 2010Sun 02-Oct-11 03:13 AM
593 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Assignment Advise / D5100"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

These are all great setups for each of your assignments.

A few suggestions/comments:
There are folks who use flash extensively who may chime in. Personally I find myself shooting almost exclusively with natural light. But what I can tell you is that it is way better to get the flash off the camera.

Yes mounting your D5100 on a tripod can really help sharpen up your portraits, but don't be shy about handholding and taking a few from a variety of angles. A tripod as important as it is can constrain you too. It's digital, you can snap as many frames as you need.

A lot of senior portraits are full body, sometimes in a setting. It's always prudent to take a few of variety of framing types: H&S and full. You don;t want to look later or worse yet, show the client and have disappointment. Same with aperture, take some with shallow depth of field but a few too at smaller aperture to see how they look with a sense of place.

Good luck and have fun.

Philip

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4460 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.