nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #444
View in linear mode

Subject: "Can an IR Filter Damage my D5000 without converting?" Previous topic | Next topic
ionphoenix Registered since 10th Aug 2009Wed 12-Aug-09 10:16 PM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Can an IR Filter Damage my D5000 without converting?"

US

I just want to know whether an IR Filter can damage my D5000 without converting it, I just bought HOYA R72 IR.I did the tv remote test.it didnt give me a white flash?so I am asking the pros now.jsut to be sure..thanks in advance

Buying a Nikon doesn't make you a photographer. It makes you a Nikon owner. ~Author Unknown

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Ruahrc Registered since 09th Jul 2007Thu 13-Aug-09 12:14 AM
1267 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Can an IR Filter Damage my D5000 without converting?"
In response to Reply # 0

Ann Arbor, US

putting an IR filter on the front of the lens without converting the camera will not damage the camera, although it will prevent imaging of any kind as well until the filter is removed.

DSLRs have an IR-blocking filter right in front of the camera sensor to prevent IR from degrading visible light images. The conversion process removes this filter thus allowing IR wavelengths to be captured by the sensor.

By putting the IR filter on your lens (which blocks all light except IR), you have cut out all the visible light from entering the lens. The IR light that does make it through the filter, however, is stopped by the IR blocking filter on the sensor. Thus, no light at all is reaching the sensor and your images will be black. That is why the remote test did not work- the IR emitted by the remote is still being blocked by the filter on the sensor, hence the need for conversion.

Hope this makes sense

Norman

Some of my pictures

ionphoenix Registered since 10th Aug 2009Thu 13-Aug-09 04:49 AM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Can an IR Filter Damage my D5000 without converting?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

but i captured images..in monochrome only..and of course red...is that the normal IR Capturing?or it is different..i was able to capture the image by increasing my iso to 800-1000 then adjusting my Exposure level to 4.5-5.0 . is that right? or once it is converted I will no longer need to adjust the settings.?

Buying a Nikon doesn't make you a photographer. It makes you a Nikon owner. ~Author Unknown

thosmm Registered since 12th May 2009Thu 13-Aug-09 05:14 PM
77 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Can an IR Filter Damage my D5000 without converting?"
In response to Reply # 2

Spring Hill, US

I'm not an expert on IR camera conversions, but...

It sounds like you're able to see 'near' infrared through the filters. Think of it as a gap. The Hoya IR bandpass filter allows a IR light to pass, including what is usually called 'near' or high frequency IR light. The camera's IR filter filters out all IR light, but allows a tiny sliver of light at that same near infrared frequency to pass to prevent the camera from blocking deep reds.

There is probably an overlap where the two filters allow light, and that may be what you're seeing. The IR remote is at a lower frequency than the camera's IR block, so you don't see it.

-TM-

Visit My webpage and gallery..

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #444 Previous topic | Next topic