nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5000/D3000 series (Public) topic #4427
View in linear mode

Subject: "Which memory card or D5100?" Previous topic | Next topic
rosstcorbett Registered since 21st Sep 2011Tue 27-Sep-11 01:25 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Which memory card or D5100?"

UK

Hi everybody,

I received some great advice from this forum last week regarding buying a lens filter and hood and was wondering if you could give me some advice on which memory card I should buy?

Could you tell me which is the best but also which is good for the money etc.

Thanks for your time and help.

Ross

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Which memory card or D5100?
jpFoto
27th Sep 2011
Reply message RE: Which memory card or D5100?
WildIsle Silver Member
27th Sep 2011
     Reply message Video Problem
paradiseisle
27th Sep 2011
          Reply message RE: Video Problem
WildIsle Silver Member
27th Sep 2011
               Reply message RE: Video Card & Loupe
RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit.
28th Sep 2011

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Tue 27-Sep-11 03:54 PM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Which memory card or D5100?"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 27-Sep-11 03:55 PM by jpFoto

US

Hi Ross -

There are alot of good cards out there. The general consensus here is that the SandDisk and Lexar are the preferred brands, and I believe that your owner's manual recommends these brands as well.

You should get a minimum of a Class 4, and if you plan to shoot video, then a Class 6 or 10 would be better. I use SandDisk 8gb, Class 6 cards and they work fine, but I don't shoot video.

I'm sure that someone who shoots video can probably give you some additional advice in that regard.

jP

WildIsle Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Jan 2010Tue 27-Sep-11 04:12 PM
593 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Which memory card or D5100?"
In response to Reply # 1

CA

I shoot a fair bit of video with my D5100, I've used pretty much every class of SD card but my go to is a Lexar 16GB 100x Platinum

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

paradiseisle Registered since 21st Sep 2011Tue 27-Sep-11 07:50 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "Video Problem"
In response to Reply # 2

US

You mention you shoot a fair amount of video, I have a problem and it is only being able to shot video using the LCD screen which in sunlight is useless, it there a way to use the viewfinder or am I going to have to buy a special hood device to mount over the LCD screen? Any comments would be greatly appreciated...

WildIsle Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Jan 2010Tue 27-Sep-11 08:50 PM
593 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Video Problem"
In response to Reply # 3

CA

You can try and turn the LCD screen brightness up and pull out the articulating screen and rotate it so the sun glare is minimized first.

But yes a viewfinder loupe is an asset. There are a number available. I use a Genus loupe on my D300s. It is inexpensive compared to others and works very well. BUT it affixes via a thin plastic frame that adheres to the LCD viewfinder cover. On the D300s that works great but if such an attachment was used on the D5100 you would no longer be able to turn the screen in to the body. And as there is no LCD screen cover you'd be sticking it right on to the camera - I don;t like the sound of that.

So a different (more expensive) style of mount would be required. But all loupes I believe essentially make the articulation of the screen redundant so I would work with that first before going for a loupe.

RRoger uses the D5100 for video a lot, I'm sure he'll chip in.

Philip

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberWed 28-Sep-11 02:32 PM
3178 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Video Card & Loupe"
In response to Reply # 4

Monterey Bay, US

The SanDisk 32mb/s is fast enough.
The only advantage of the 45mb/s is upload speed to your computer.
You will need a fast card reader.

I had to modify a CaVision magnifying loupe for use with my D7000, but
it fits perfectly on the D5100.
Just reverse the LCD till it faces back and screw the mount into the TriPod hole.
Then you will have the equivalent to a 6" viewfinder.
The numbers are: MFRC2550 for the loupe
and: RPMD90R for the swing away mount.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5000/D3000 series (Public) topic #4427 Previous topic | Next topic