Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4404
View in linear mode

Subject: "Assigning AE-L/AF-L button question" Previous topic | Next topic
jodylud Registered since 07th Sep 2011Thu 22-Sep-11 12:49 PM
87 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Assigning AE-L/AF-L button question"

US

I tend to assign my AE-L/AF-L button to 'AE-Lock only' and was wondering what the advantages are to the 'AF-ON' that I see preferred by many here on this site. Seems un-natural...

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Assigning AE-L/AF-L button question
WildIsle Silver Member
22nd Sep 2011
jodylud
22nd Sep 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
22nd Sep 2011
jodylud
22nd Sep 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
22nd Sep 2011
jodylud
22nd Sep 2011
WildIsle Silver Member
23rd Sep 2011
darthsir
25th Sep 2011
WildIsle Silver Member
26th Sep 2011

WildIsle Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Jan 2010Thu 22-Sep-11 02:58 PM
593 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Assigning AE-L/AF-L button question"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

There's a couple of reasons:
- to separate VR activation from the focusing to conserve battery power while you compose
- to combine continuous-servo and single shot mode in one set of settings. This is the most versatile setup but as your D5100 menus don't have the option to switch off AF activation from the shutter button, this technique won't work.

Personally I wouldn't use the AE-L/AF-L button for AF-On with my D5100. I do use the AF-On button extensively with my D300s but keep both AE-L buttons set the same and that's for auto exposure lock (and 'Hold' for video)

Happy shooting
Philip

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jodylud Registered since 07th Sep 2011Thu 22-Sep-11 09:56 PM
87 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Assigning AE-L/AF-L button question"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Would you recommend using AF-ON when in Video mode for occasional refocusing? Thank you for your input.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberThu 22-Sep-11 10:47 PM
3176 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Assigning AE-L/AF-L button question"
In response to Reply # 3

Monterey Bay, US

>Would you recommend using AF-ON when in Video mode for
>occasional refocusing? Thank you for your input.

You can do that if you set up the camera video settings to AFS.
If the D5100 is set to AFF, you have to use the half down shutter.

jodylud Registered since 07th Sep 2011Thu 22-Sep-11 11:01 PM
#6. "RE: Assigning AE-L/AF-L button question"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Thanks again, I'll try this out.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberThu 22-Sep-11 02:58 PM
3176 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Assigning AE-L/AF-L button question"
In response to Reply # 0

Monterey Bay, US

I learned the advantages of the AF-ON button when I got my D1.
1. It is faster to go from one subject to another..
2. You do not have to have perfect touch but can mash it down.
3. You can continuously refocus when shooting a moving object.
a. Focus will still lock on and track an object.
b. Of course your panning skills have to be good anyway.

jodylud Registered since 07th Sep 2011Thu 22-Sep-11 10:15 PM
#4. "RE: Assigning AE-L/AF-L button question"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Thank you for your response. When using the AE-L/AF-L button for panoramic shots, I use AE lock to maintain a consistent exposure level. I'm still playing with my custom settings, however.

WildIsle Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Jan 2010Fri 23-Sep-11 03:45 AM
593 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Assigning AE-L/AF-L button question"
In response to Reply # 4

CA

and using the AE-L + Hold option is very useful for video giving you free hands and a steadier camera. For home movies a mid-scene exposure shift isn't a big deal but it won't cut it for pro work.

darthsir Registered since 06th May 2011Sun 25-Sep-11 08:40 AM
52 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Assigning AE-L/AF-L button question"
In response to Reply # 0

US

In response to this, I tried the AF-ON today for volleyball. It seemed to work ok. Half press of shutter doesn't focus in this mode. Only pressing the af/on button focuses for this. I had camera in AF-C. I didn't try other combos though.

I also had a few cases where the camera freaked out. I had a few images that were totally black. Info said they were at ISO 100 and f/0. Yep, f/0. Probably about 5-8 shots out of 750 came out that way. Not all the 750 were using the AF-on settings. It may have had nothing to do with settings and just some other camera/lens issue.

That's my experience with 1 day tryout.

Dewey

http://www.dkmoon.zenfolio.com

WildIsle Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Jan 2010Mon 26-Sep-11 12:02 AM
#9. "RE: Assigning AE-L/AF-L button question"
In response to Reply # 8

CA

"Half press of shutter doesn't focus in this mode. Only pressing the af/on button focuses for this"

Ahh, good to know.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4404 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.