Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4397
View in linear mode

Subject: "Question about lens filters." Previous topic | Next topic
rosstcorbett Registered since 21st Sep 2011Wed 21-Sep-11 04:24 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Question about lens filters."

GB

Hello everybody,

Well firstly I would just like to say hi. I have just bought my first DSLR D5100 and am a complete newbie.

I have been reading a lot about getting a filter to protect the lens and was wondering if you could help me.

What size nikon filter should I get for a D5100 18-55mm lens?
Also when it is attached can I still put the lens cap on?

Thank you so much for your time and nice to meet you

Ross

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Question about lens filters.
aolander Silver Member
21st Sep 2011
rosstcorbett
21st Sep 2011
jpFoto
21st Sep 2011
rosstcorbett
22nd Sep 2011
aolander Silver Member
22nd Sep 2011
rosstcorbett
22nd Sep 2011
blw Moderator
22nd Sep 2011
MEMcD Moderator
23rd Sep 2011
Len Shepherd Gold Member
23rd Sep 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
30th Sep 2011
rosstcorbett
03rd Oct 2011

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Wed 21-Sep-11 05:06 PM
3173 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Question about lens filters."
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

The 18-55mm has 52mm filter threads, so you need a 52mm threaded filter. You will be able to use the hood with the filter on as the hood bayonettes to the outside of the lens barrel.

There are pros and cons for using a filter for "protection". I feel you get as much protection from a hood (and the cap when the lens isn't being used).

Pros and cons about filters:

http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/guides/uv_haze_skylight/uv_haze_skylight_filters1.html

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

rosstcorbett Registered since 21st Sep 2011Wed 21-Sep-11 07:46 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Question about lens filters."
In response to Reply # 1

GB

Hi aolander.

Thank you for the reply.

Can you recommend an excellent hood and can you put the cap on when the hood is also on?

Thanks again.

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Wed 21-Sep-11 08:18 PM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Question about lens filters."
In response to Reply # 2

US

To add to Alan's comments, if you do buy a protective filter, make sure that it is a high quality multicoated, clear filter. Companies such as Hoya, B&W and Nikon make good filters. For a good 52mm filter expect to pay anywhere from about $35 - $45. Low quality filters can substantially degrade the quality of your photographs. If the filter is priced at about $10-$15, skip it.

Here is a link to the hood that you had asked Alan about.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=lens+hood+for+nikon+18-55&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

You can generally put the lens cap on with the hood in place, but I'm not sure about this one.

jP

rosstcorbett Registered since 21st Sep 2011Thu 22-Sep-11 10:05 AM
#4. "RE: Question about lens filters."
In response to Reply # 3

GB

Thanks JP.

I am thinking of buying these two, what do you think?

Lens Hood: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004I67H76/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=AHTQ9SHZP9JHX

lens Filter: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00009R96C/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&m=A3CCL2LRPH3UU

I know it is simple stuff but with being so new to this I want to get it right.

Thanks.

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Thu 22-Sep-11 12:58 PM
3173 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Question about lens filters."
In response to Reply # 4

Nevis, US

The filter is a good one, but don't buy the hood. Buy a genuine Nikon hood that is made specifically for your lens (the one that JP linked to). The hood on Amazon may block the corners of the frame (vignette) when the lens is at the wide end of the focal length, i.e. 18mm.

Alan

rosstcorbett Registered since 21st Sep 2011Thu 22-Sep-11 01:39 PM
#6. "RE: Question about lens filters."
In response to Reply # 5
Thu 22-Sep-11 01:39 PM by rosstcorbett

GB

Done!

I have just ordered the lens hood and lens filter.

Should and can I keep the lens hood on all the time? In the bag etc

Thanks for all of your advice

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Thu 22-Sep-11 02:37 PM
26543 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#7. "RE: Question about lens filters."
In response to Reply # 6

Richmond, US

Most of us use the hood all the time. It's not necessary in the bag, so mostly these hoods get reversed onto the lens and stored that way. But occasionally that's a packing problem and so the hoods get transported separately. (Mine occasionally go wrapped in or around socks.)

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 23-Sep-11 01:31 PM
25566 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Question about lens filters."
In response to Reply # 6

US

Hi Ross,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Yes, using a hood all the time is best practice.
If your bag is large enough to hold the camera and lens with the hood in the shooting position, there is no reason that you can't pack it that way. If your bag is smaller, just reverse the hood when you pack it in the bag. It only takes a second or two.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Fri 23-Sep-11 02:37 PM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Question about lens filters."
In response to Reply # 0

Yorkshire, GB

The advantage of using a hood is it often results in better colour and slightly sharper images - because it reduces unwanted "flare" light reaching the front element.
The 18-55 does not come with a lens hood so buying and using one is a smart move.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberFri 30-Sep-11 02:38 PM
3135 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Question about lens filters."
In response to Reply # 9
Fri 30-Sep-11 02:40 PM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

I have been doing Event Photography since 1999.
There have been many opportunities to abuse our equipment.

I have bought many expensive "protective" UV filters for my lens, but
I have been taking them off lately and am getting better pictures.

After way over 1 million pictures, we have never even scratched a lens or filter element..

rosstcorbett Registered since 21st Sep 2011Mon 03-Oct-11 01:33 PM
#11. "RE: Question about lens filters."
In response to Reply # 10

GB

Thank you for all of your advice everybody.

really am very grateful

Ross

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4397 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.