Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4353
View in linear mode

Subject: "any chances of" Previous topic | Next topic
jodylud Registered since 07th Sep 2011Fri 16-Sep-11 12:23 PM
87 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"any chances of"

US

a Nikon battery grip for the D5100? Much like the MB-D11 for the D7000? I'm sure this question has been offered here in the past. Just wanted to know 'if' there has been any new updates or considerations.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: any chances of D5100 bqattery grip
RRRoger Silver Member
16th Sep 2011
Reply message RE: any chances of
MEMcD Moderator
17th Sep 2011
jodylud
17th Sep 2011
jimhart69
20th Sep 2011
jodylud
20th Sep 2011
jimhart69
20th Sep 2011
jodylud
20th Sep 2011
jimhart69
21st Sep 2011
jodylud
21st Sep 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
20th Sep 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
30th Sep 2011
jodylud
03rd Oct 2011

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberFri 16-Sep-11 11:43 PM
3170 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: any chances of D5100 bqattery grip"
In response to Reply # 0

Monterey Bay, US

Nikon has not set up this camera for their typical grip.

That does not mean that a 3rd party cannot make one that mounts to the battery compartment with lid off, but
I doubt if they will.

You could plug an external battery or AC into the power port, but
those little batteries are cheap.

So, get one or two extras.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 17-Sep-11 01:44 AM
26132 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: any chances of"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Jody,

Nikon has never made a battery grip for any of the entry level DSLR's (D50, D70, D70S, D40, D40X, D60, D3000, D5000, D3100, or the D5100 to date). Since grips were introduced with the camera bodies (D100, D80, D200, D90, D300, D300S, D700, and D7000) The odds are against it.
There have been third party grips available for all of the entry level bodies, I suspect they are or will be available for the D5100.
That said, i would not recommend getting one.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

jodylud Registered since 07th Sep 2011Sat 17-Sep-11 10:47 AM
87 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: any chances of"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Guess I'll just have to wait to obtain the D7000.

jimhart69 Registered since 19th Sep 2011Tue 20-Sep-11 04:11 AM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: any chances of"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 20-Sep-11 04:12 AM by jimhart69

Apple Valley, US

They have been available for some time & I really like having the double battery capacity as well as the second shutter release for "portrait" (vertical) shooting, fairly light & adds stability along with a place for my pinky having thick hands.

3rd party not a Nikon product

jodylud Registered since 07th Sep 2011Tue 20-Sep-11 04:51 AM
#5. "RE: any chances of"
In response to Reply # 4

US

I'm assuming that you are referring to the Neewer model that requires an annoying wire connection. I do like their price however.

Still hoping for a Nikon grip much like the MB-D11 that offers a AA battery option as well.

jimhart69 Registered since 19th Sep 2011Tue 20-Sep-11 06:36 AM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: any chances of"
In response to Reply # 5
Tue 20-Sep-11 06:38 AM by jimhart69

Apple Valley, US

Yes that is the model. Unfortunately since there is only battery connection pins in the D5100 & no accessory pins in the battery compartment the only way is to have the external cable.

My girlfriends T3i has a fabulous grip available but then it has the battery terminals & 6 contact points as well as the 4 for the battery in the battery compartment.

jodylud Registered since 07th Sep 2011Tue 20-Sep-11 01:19 PM
#7. "RE: any chances of"
In response to Reply # 6
Tue 20-Sep-11 01:21 PM by jodylud

US

Hi Jim

Do you have a problem with the second battery (right compartment) reading an 'error' message, or have they fixed it? Many thanks for your input.

jimhart69 Registered since 19th Sep 2011Wed 21-Sep-11 07:10 AM
#9. "RE: any chances of"
In response to Reply # 7

Apple Valley, US

Hi Jody,

No problems with any error messages either with the 2 nikon batteries or with the no name batteries.

Before the grip I shot 450 images & needed to change batteries, with the grip & 2 batteries in it I shot 2200 images & had it on all day sunday only having to swap out the batteries late that night. I dont understand the shot ratio difference but i'm not complaining.

Here is some info & pics of the MeiKe grip that I have.

http://froknowsphoto.com/froknows/forum/5-nikon/85602-d5100-battery-grip-review-meike

Hi Roger,

It wasn't so much the extra battery capacity or the 2nd shutter for me as with large hands it just gives me more to grip.

The D7000 weighs 780 grams, the D5100 weighs 553 grams, mine now weighs 680 grams with the grip & 2 batteries. It "feels" good in my hand, I also can't stand a camera strap around my neck so my camera is in my hand the whole time I am using it, I also use a grip strap for safety.

The articulating lcd is a plus for me as well, the 18-200 is a heavy lens compared to the 18-55 & I have either the 18-200 or the 55-300 on it usually. I just bought the 70-300 sigma macro & the 150-500 sigma which aren't lightweights either, they won't be used handheld but maybe the 70-300 so having the added stability of a solid grip will continue to be a benefit.

jodylud Registered since 07th Sep 2011Wed 21-Sep-11 12:10 PM
#10. "RE: any chances of"
In response to Reply # 9
Wed 21-Sep-11 12:10 PM by jodylud

US

Jim-

I placed an order with Amazon yesterday for the battery grip. I also like the articulating lcd screen and with this dual battery grip will primarily keep the D5100 for video use. I hope to pick up a D7000 here soon.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberTue 20-Sep-11 01:35 PM
3170 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: any chances of"
In response to Reply # 6
Wed 21-Sep-11 02:10 PM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

I did a search and found 3 different grips (basically the same).
None had an AF-ON button or dial for the D5100.
I can flip my wrist to shoot vertical now and still use the AF-ON (AE-L/AF-L) button.
The batteries are so small and light weight in my pocket, I can change one in a second.

Why defeat the purpose of a small, light weight camera?
If you want larger and heavier, get a D7000 with full function grip.

Oh Well, I just ordered one from Amazon $25.32 incl tax and shipping.
I will use it on my TriPod without shutter release cable for filming more than one hour of Video.
I will just have to hope each week when I remove the battery door that I do not wreck it.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberFri 30-Sep-11 03:18 PM
#11. "RE: any chances of D5100 bqattery grip"
In response to Reply # 8

Monterey Bay, US

I just tried my Neewer grip that I got from Amazon for $25
It was too cheap to resist.
I do not like having no low battery warnings after 1 hour of Video.
Two batteries last twice as long as one.
The grip fits well and weighs nearly nothing, but

I personally do not like it.
I like the feel and handling better without it.
I do not like removing/reattaching the battery door.
So, I will only use it (on a TriPod) when I expect over 60 minutes of HD Video.

jodylud Registered since 07th Sep 2011Mon 03-Oct-11 10:16 PM
#12. "RE: any chances of D5100 bqattery grip"
In response to Reply # 11

US

I've had this Neewer battery grip on my D5100 for over a week now and am really impressed with it. I really like the double battery capacity and the snug feel of the vertical grip (and don't mind the cable connection either).

I've since acquired a D7000 (body-only) and will go with the Neewer model battery grip for that camera body as well.

Thank you everyone for all your knowledge and input in this matter, I'm very happy and confident with my purchases.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4353 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.