Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4333
View in linear mode

Subject: "Taking the battery out while the camera is on? (Nikon D..." Previous topic | Next topic
EndubSmurf Registered since 11th Sep 2011Sun 11-Sep-11 07:11 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Taking the battery out while the camera is on? (Nikon D5100)"

US

I always turn off my camera before I take the battery out. But my dad took out the battery without turning it off? It may have went into sleep mode/stand-by mode and the camera wasn't doing anything. But either way could this have done anything wrong to my camera that I should be worried about? I over worry about my camera haha but I was wondering. Thanks.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Taking the battery out while the camera is on? (Nik...
jpFoto
11th Sep 2011
MEMcD Moderator
11th Sep 2011
blw Moderator
12th Sep 2011
pjonesCET Gold Member
12th Sep 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
12th Sep 2011

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Sun 11-Sep-11 07:59 PM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Taking the battery out while the camera is on? (Nikon D5100)"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 11-Sep-11 09:31 PM by jpFoto

US

Stop worrying. It wouldn't damage anything anyway, but if the camera is still working there is obviously no damage done. You're not supposed to change cards or lenses with the camera on either, but people do it all of the time with no adverse consequences.

That being said, "don't tempt fate."

jP

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 11-Sep-11 10:24 PM
25739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Taking the battery out while the camera is on? (Nikon D5100)"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Tristan,

Welcome to Nikonians!
As JP wrote above, if your camera is working correctly All is well so don't worry about it. That said, turning the camera off before removing the battery or memory card for that matter is best practice.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Mon 12-Sep-11 01:58 PM
26589 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Taking the battery out while the camera is on? (Nikon D5100)"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

It's just like running out of battery power, actually - nothing to worry about. Don't do it unnecessarily, but if you forget, no big deal.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Mon 12-Sep-11 04:58 PM
546 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Taking the battery out while the camera is on? (Nikon D5100)"
In response to Reply # 3

Martinsville, US

There is a difference between losing power because the battery because you run out of juice, and and removing a Battery while power is on (Especially, if the battery is at full power). When Battery is at low power you get a warning that there is not enough power. (At least on my 3000 it does).

It's possible that it did no damage. But, then again it could. Its possible that it did affect something in a minor way or will eventually.

I worked in Electronics for years and know the affects of voltage surges.

If it hasn't affected the camera, than that is great, Don't do it again.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/
http://www.phillipjones-cet.net

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberMon 12-Sep-11 11:15 PM
3145 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Taking the battery out while the camera is on? (Nikon D5100)"
In response to Reply # 4

Monterey Bay, US

Taking it out would not cause a surge, just the opposite.
Besides the Digital Nikons have protection built in to handle the different charge levels.

The main warning has to do with turning off the camera while it is still writing to the card.
This could cause data loss.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4333 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.