nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D5000/D3000 series (Public) topic #4307
View in linear mode

Subject: "D5100 Image Numbering" Previous topic | Next topic
MBADone Silver Member  US  Nikonian since 30th Aug 2011 Mon 05-Sep-11 08:54 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5100 Image Numbering"

I hope someone can help me. My D5100 creates a new folder after hitting number 999. My photos are numbered DSC_0091 for instance. Is there a way I can get the photo numbering to continue on into the 1000's? My little pocket camera goes up to a million, it makes new folders but increases the picture count in each folder. This, in my opinion, serious problem came to light when I recently returned from a trip and wanted to file my photos. With each folder giving the same name to the pictures I had DSC_0001, DCS_001(1) and DSC_002(2) and so on. I have a great application to rename multiple files at one time I would hope to not have to do that.

Any ideas on how to control the file numbering?

Thank you,
Duwayne

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas   US  Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007 Mon 05-Sep-11 12:18 PM
27600 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D5100 Image Numbering"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi Duwayne,

Welcome to Nikonians!
If you go into the camera menu under "File Number Sequence" and set it to On, the camera will allow the file numbers to continue to DSC_9999 before a new folder is created. Thus providing 9999 images before resetting to DSC_0000. You can can change the file prefix in the camera menu every 10000 images to prevent confusion if you save all of the images to a single folder.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

MBADone Silver Member  US  Nikonian since 30th Aug 2011 Mon 05-Sep-11 11:07 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D5100 Image Numbering"
In response to Reply # 1

Hi Marty, Thank you. I checked the manual (duh!!) and it is just as you said. I looked there earlier but misread it so my fault. This seems to imply that I could name the folder DML_00000 and the numbering would go beyond 9,999. After the current numbering fills up I will try that and see. I am not nearly advanced enough to have other folders. If I may ask a question. I recently completed a trip to several cities... could I create a folder each time I am in a new location and save the files to that folder, of course I can, but if I do would the numbering start over at xxx_0001 in each folder? I can just try it and see. Please excuse my babble, I last used SLR's in and after Vietman and have not had one for 40 or so years, newbie jitters.

Thanks for the assist.

Duwayne

DML

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas   US  Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007 Mon 05-Sep-11 11:54 PM
27600 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D5100 Image Numbering"
In response to Reply # 2

Hi Duwayne,

As long as the File Number Sequence is On, you can create a new folder whenever you want to and the image numbering will remain in sequence up to 9999.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D5000/D3000 series (Public) topic #4307 Previous topic | Next topic