nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4223
View in linear mode

Subject: "Need help with D3100 body and portrait lens capability!" Previous topic | Next topic
AED177 Registered since 18th Aug 2011Thu 18-Aug-11 03:52 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Need help with D3100 body and portrait lens capability!"

US

Hello, All. I am new to the Nikon world, and I was interested in purchasing the D3100 as my first DSLR to do close-up portraits of my little boy (just born) - and my friends babies. I was researching the best portrait lens for Nikon DSLRs and came across a recommendation for the 50mm f/1.8D. However, I noticed on B&H, when I went to order this lens, and the D3100, that this lens is NOT compatible with the D3100. Can anyone recommend a portrait lens for the D3100, that would be comparable to the 50mm f/1.8D? I am very new to the DSLR world, and would appreciate any help or recommendations! Thank you!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Need help with D3100 body and portrait lens capabil...
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
18th Aug 2011
jpFoto
18th Aug 2011
AED177
18th Aug 2011
jpFoto
18th Aug 2011
pjonesCET Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
18th Aug 2011
jpFoto
18th Aug 2011

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 18-Aug-11 05:03 AM
27027 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Need help with D3100 body and portrait lens capability!"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 18-Aug-11 05:04 AM by MEMcD

US

Hi Ashley,

Welcome to Nikonians!
The new Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G AF-S is the lens that you looking for.
It is optically better than the AF 50mm f/1.8D and is fully compatible including AF with the D3100.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Thu 18-Aug-11 05:05 AM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Need help with D3100 body and portrait lens capability!"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 18-Aug-11 05:07 AM by jpFoto

US

Hi Ashely

The D3100 is an excellent camera.

The 50mm 1.8D is compatible with the D3100, however, it will not auto-focus on that camera body. You will need an AF-S lenses to autofocus since the D3100 doesn't have a built-in autofocus motor.

Two lenses that you may want to consider are the AF-S 35mm 1.8 and the AF-S 50mm 1.8G. Both are AF-S lenses and will autofocus and meter with the D3100.

I have to assume that your camera came with a "kit" lens, and usually it is a 18-55. It is actually a very good lens and should yield some good results.

jP

AED177 Registered since 18th Aug 2011Thu 18-Aug-11 07:05 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Need help with D3100 body and portrait lens capability!"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Thank you both so much for your responses! I was debating between the older D3000 and the D3100, and like I mentioned above, I am just leaning more toward the D3100. It seems like an all-around great DSLR - especially for someone like me, who is just your beginner/average user, with the capability to grow. And there is something about DSLR photos that cannot be replicated with your standard digital point and shoot(s). So, it's time to make the DSLR jump!

I am glad to hear there is a comparable lens - and that the D3100 is a good choice. It makes me feel better about a bigger purchase like this one. And I can't wait to start capturing all these new memories!

Also, it does come with the kit lens, which is the 18-55. I also saw you can get two other kits, one which would come with a 55-200, and another that would come with a 55-300. Again, being so new, I hate to ask so many questions, but would one of the latter kits be a better choice than the 18-55?

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Thu 18-Aug-11 02:29 PM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Need help with D3100 body and portrait lens capability!"
In response to Reply # 3
Thu 18-Aug-11 02:30 PM by jpFoto

US

Ashley

The D3100 is technologically superior to the D3000, so your instincts are correct. It has a state of the art sensor and performs far better in low light than the D3000. The other two lenses that you are considering are both highly regarded, however, the choice between the 18-55 and the other two is really not an "either or" decision since the focal length ranges are dramatically different. You should check the individual prices to determine whether or not it makes financial sense to buy two lenses with the kit. My choice between the 55-200 and 55-300 would be the latter.

jP

pjonesCET Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Thu 18-Aug-11 05:09 PM
619 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: Need help with D3100 body and portrait lens capability!"
In response to Reply # 4

Martinsville, US

Are the lens 18-55 and the 55-200 for the 3000 the same as the ones for the 3100?

I bought my 3000 one week to the day before the 3100 was on shelves at Sears.

That's always my luck. I go to buy something and the next week or next day the new version is out.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/
http://www.phillipjones-cet.net

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Thu 18-Aug-11 07:07 PM
#6. "RE: Need help with D3100 body and portrait lens capability!"
In response to Reply # 5
Thu 18-Aug-11 07:08 PM by jpFoto

US

Hi Phil

Although there are two versions of each lens, one with VR and one without, I haven't seen kits from reputable retailers with the non-VR models included. However, it is certainly a point worth mentioning. As for the 55-300, there is only one model and that is with VR.

So, Ashley, make sure that the lenses that you buy with your camera are the VR models.

jP

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4223 Previous topic | Next topic