Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4189
View in linear mode

Subject: "FM 10 Lens on D5000" Previous topic | Next topic
avjayan Registered since 03rd Aug 2011Sat 13-Aug-11 08:16 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"FM 10 Lens on D5000"

US

Dear Friends,

I have recently bought a Nikon D5000. Currently I'm visiting U.S.A. for a short period and my old Nikon FM 10 (film camera) with the 35-70mm lens is back home. Is this lens compatible with Nikon D5000? I understand that this will not do autofocus, but my question is whether I can fix this lens on my D5000, do manual focus and click pictures? My family will be coming here for a short visit. I would like to ask them to bring the other lens, if I can load it on this camera.

Looking forward to hearing from the experts,

With Best Regards,
Jayanthan.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Sat 13-Aug-11 08:43 PM
3193 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: FM 10 Lens on D5000"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

Their are several 35-70mm Nikon lenses, but if it is the "kit" lens that came with your FM10, yes, you can attach the lens to your D5000. However, as you stated, it is not an auto-focus lens and it will not meter with your camera. You can shoot pictures, but you'll have to guess at the exposure and use the histogram to fine tune.

There is a 35-70mm f/2.8 AF (and an AF-D version) that will still not AF on your camera, but will meter.

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

avjayan Registered since 03rd Aug 2011Sat 13-Aug-11 08:46 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: FM 10 Lens on D5000"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks a lot for your quick response. Thanks also for warning that it will not meter. Yes, I have the 'kit' lens that came with my camera. In any case, since I will be using it in my digital camera, I can get a hang of approximate correct exposure after few shots.

Regards,
Jayanthan.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4189 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.