Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4150
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon D5100 File Names" Previous topic | Next topic
satchmo Registered since 08th Aug 2011Mon 08-Aug-11 10:06 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon D5100 File Names"

GB

I typically take a bunch of photos then move them all off the memory card and onto my PC. When starting again with the memory card empty file names start from DSC_0001 again so I keep getting photos with the same file name. I then have to store them as DSC_0001(a) etc.

I'm guessing there is a way to get around this but I'm really struggling to find one..... can anyone help?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon D5100 File Names
gkaiseril Gold Member
08th Aug 2011
satchmo
09th Aug 2011
gkaiseril Gold Member
09th Aug 2011
satchmo
09th Aug 2011
Bobby__C
01st Dec 2012
blw Moderator
08th Aug 2011
TashSt Silver Member
09th Aug 2011
snagline11
02nd Dec 2012
Ducu59
09th Dec 2012
Sewerrat
27th Jan 2013
cflehman Silver Member
31st Jan 2013

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Mon 08-Aug-11 10:48 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon D5100 File Names"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 08-Aug-11 10:49 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

Welcom to Nikonians,

Turn-off the file number sequence reset.

Page 162 of your user manual. CSM: d3: File Number Sequence.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

satchmo Registered since 08th Aug 2011Tue 09-Aug-11 12:06 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon D5100 File Names"
In response to Reply # 1

GB

>Welcom to Nikonians,
>
>Turn-off the file number sequence reset.
>
>Page 162 of your user manual. CSM: d3: File Number Sequence.

Thanks gkaiseril,

In that menu I have options ON, OFF, or RESET. None seem to do what I am trying. Unless the card has files on it, it always starts from DSC_0001. Therefore, after every time I transfer photos off the memory card the next photo is named DSC_0001. I'm going to have hundreds of pics with that file name!

I'll look into the photo transfer route next unless you can suggest anything else to try within the camera?

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 09-Aug-11 12:30 AM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon D5100 File Names"
In response to Reply # 3
Tue 09-Aug-11 12:33 AM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

Have you read the description for "On"?

"When a new folder is created, the memory card formatted, or a new memory card inserted in the camera, file numbering continues from the last number used or from the largest file number in the current folder, whichever is higher. If a photograph is taken when the current folder contains a photograph numbered 9999, a new folder
will be created automatically and file numbering will begin again from 0001."

This option allows the "file numbering to continues from the last number used" no mention of existing files. The description continues, "or from the largest file number in the current folder, whichever is higher." so if there is a folder and there is a file with a higher number than the last number used by the camera, the next higher number will be used.

Since the file name only support 4 numeric digits, there has to be a solution when the file name number reaches 9999. At that point a new folder is created and the file numbering name starts over at 0001. There is a shutter actuation count within the camera and recorded within your images that can count well over 100,000. If you get to 10,000 images, you should have developed a storage and naming scheme that will resolve this camera limitation. This naming restriction is not a Nikon imposed limitation, but an industry wide standard.

You might want to try this option and see how it works.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

satchmo Registered since 08th Aug 2011Tue 09-Aug-11 01:05 AM
#5. "RE: Nikon D5100 File Names"
In response to Reply # 4

GB

Excellent stuff... Have turned it to "On" and it is now doing what I wanted! Thought you had said to turn it off before. My user manual only has 82 pages so couldn't find the section you were refering to. I now think that I need to be looking at the pdf manual on the CD rather than the hard copy?

I was sure I had tried this with it set to "on" before, but obviously not. Many thanks for your help!

Bobby__C Registered since 01st Dec 2012Sat 01-Dec-12 03:42 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Nikon D5100 File Names"
In response to Reply # 5

US

>Excellent stuff... Have turned it to "On" and it is
>now doing what I wanted! Thought you had said to turn it off
>before. My user manual only has 82 pages so couldn't find the
>section you were refering to. I now think that I need to be
>looking at the pdf manual on the CD rather than the hard
>copy?
>
>I was sure I had tried this with it set to "on"
>before, but obviously not. Many thanks for your help!

It's in the Reference manual, not the User manual.

I was looking for the same thing.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Mon 08-Aug-11 11:02 PM
26541 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: Nikon D5100 File Names"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Or alternatively, use software that renames the files on import. For example, Photo Mechanic, Lightroom and I'm sure there are many others.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

TashSt Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for her great compositional insight and talent, as she is always willing to experiment with new perspectives. This is particularly evident in the exceptional, captivating images she posts in the Nude Forum where she always shares in the Nikonians spirit.
Nikonian since 23rd Jul 2011Tue 09-Aug-11 11:28 PM
543 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nikon D5100 File Names"
In response to Reply # 2

AU

Yeah, my program puts each upload in a new dated file each time. SO while the files are named the same they are put into the right date file. It also gives me the option to name the file on upload.. but I don't know if all do this.. and you seem to have sorted your program out.

Have fun!

www.impressstphotography.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

snagline11 Registered since 02nd Dec 2012Sun 02-Dec-12 10:29 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Nikon D5100 File Names"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Each time I move a days group of photos from my camera to my computer, I put them in a file with the date of when those photos were taken, and the place they were taken.. I then reset the file numbers. Next time I take a bunch of pictures, I repeat what I did with the other group. On and on and on...If I only take one or two pictures, I put them in a Mixed file and still reset the file numbers.
Does it matter if you reset the file numbers each time? Not really, I choose to do so. After the pictures are in different dated files, numbers don't really matter. besides you can renumber or name the keeper pictures.
I also don't keep my pictures on my computer. I keep all pictures on two external hard drives. One I keep on most of the time and the other is the unplugged backup.
Good Luck my friend, Richard. Peace

Ducu59 Registered since 22nd Oct 2012Sun 09-Dec-12 12:38 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Nikon D5100 File Names"
In response to Reply # 8

IL

I use a programe that change the file name so that the creation date of each one will be his name and the new created directory is the date of the first one. Is very useful and I add to each directory name a little description to remember the ocasion or the place.

Sewerrat Registered since 01st Nov 2012Sun 27-Jan-13 11:24 PM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Nikon D5100 File Names"
In response to Reply # 0

US

As a side note, I would NOT move the images to the pc but Copy them there. What happens if you move them and as soon as that step is complete the hard drive goes belly up?

Memory cards, being as cheap as they are, shouldn't need to be cleared of images immediately. I leave my images on the card until I have gone thru the workflow on the images I copied to the pc and have backed up those images.

Just some friendly advice.

cflehman Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jan 2005Thu 31-Jan-13 02:05 PM
95 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Nikon D5100 File Names"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

It is good to start with a good file naming convention for your digital images and stick with it, one that will be useful as you go on. A common one that I have used is YYYYMMDD_XXX. XXX is the file sequence for that day. For example, my first shot for today would be 20130130_001. Most image management software will ease this process, some will automate it. By the way, I have yet to shoot over 999 images in a day.

Charlie
www.Charlie.Zenfolio.com

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4150 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.