Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4142
View in linear mode

Subject: "D5100 file size issue...." Previous topic | Next topic
APhotoNewbie Registered since 08th Aug 2011Mon 08-Aug-11 12:29 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5100 file size issue...."

CA

Hello all. As my name indicates, I am new to digital photography, so PLEASE take it easy on me.

I recently purchased a D5100 and am very happy with it. I took a 1/2 day workshop on how to make use of it's features, and I learned a ton, though I am still a novice.

Here is something I have run into. Even in "FINE" mode and "LARGE" setting, my files are only 3-7 megs max, with the average being around 4 MB per file. I was under the impression that a 16.2 MP camera should produce files much larger than that. Everyone I talk to says the same thing, if it's set to fine and large the files should be between 8 and 25 megs.

I am using a 32gig class 10 micro SD card (with adapter).

Can anyone help me? Is there any way at all this is the camera? I have even reset the camera to it's defaults, and reset the file type and photo size (fine and large) to no avail. I hope this is sufficient info for someone to help me.

Thanks in advance,

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D5100 file size issue....
aolander Silver Member
08th Aug 2011
blw Moderator
08th Aug 2011
MEMcD Moderator
08th Aug 2011
gkaiseril Gold Member
08th Aug 2011
OldITGeek Silver Member
09th Aug 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
10th Aug 2011
APhotoNewbie
18th Aug 2011

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Mon 08-Aug-11 01:30 PM
3239 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D5100 file size issue...."
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

Your file sizes are normal for a large/fine JPEG file because JPEGs are compressed. Shoot RAW (NEF), and they'll be a lot bigger.

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Mon 08-Aug-11 02:01 PM
26657 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: D5100 file size issue...."
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

There's nothing wrong. JPEG files inherently are compressed, and they compress a lot depending on what you have in the image. A smooth, evenly lit blank wall compresses a lot more than pictures of dense, leafy underbrush in speckled/dappled sunlight. If you set it to produce TIFF files (does it do that? Can't remember - some models do, some do not) you'll get a pretty enormous file out of it. TIFF is often not compressed at all.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 08-Aug-11 03:58 PM
25943 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D5100 file size issue...."
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Jeff,

Welcome to Nikonians!
As stated above, there is nothing wrong with your camera.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Mon 08-Aug-11 04:43 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D5100 file size issue...."
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

As noted already, Jpegs have data compression applied to the data. Also the the camera's measure is megapixel while the computer stores bytes. The number of pixels to bytes depends upon the color depth being recorded. The number of bits per pixel will determine how many bytes will be needed to store a pixel.

There is also some other data recored ed within the image known as EXIF or meta data, but this data takes up less than 1 Mega Byte.

And there is a preview thumbnail image embedded within the Jpeg and NEF image.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

OldITGeek Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jul 2011Tue 09-Aug-11 03:52 PM
137 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D5100 file size issue...."
In response to Reply # 0

Mississauga, CA

Hi, I would recommend you set you camera to jpeg and Raw.

That way you get a pure image and a photo you can share with people.

then you can later modify/crop etc the raw and give people a photo you really like.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberWed 10-Aug-11 12:42 AM
3163 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D5100 file size issue...."
In response to Reply # 5

Monterey Bay, US

I only take my most important pictures in RAW (NEF) format and when I do I also take JPEGs.
99.99% of the time the JPEGs are better than the NEF because of in-camera processing (if you set up your camera properly).

And, I take thousands of pictures with little time left for post processing, so I usually only take large/fine JPEGs.

Besides, software has gotten so good that you can post process a JPEG and more easily too.

APhotoNewbie Registered since 08th Aug 2011Thu 18-Aug-11 02:44 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D5100 file size issue...."
In response to Reply # 6

CA

WOW! I was sure I was set to receive reply notifications by email, and was wondering why I hadn't received any feedback, so I checked in today just by chance.

Thank you all so much for taking the time to help out the new guy, I am now satisfied that I am not doing anything wrong, and am looking forward to some great photography with this excellent camera.

Happy shooting everyone and thanks again!!!!

J

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4142 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.