Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4136
View in linear mode

Subject: "New to DLSR and Nikon" Previous topic | Next topic
loriann1970 Registered since 07th Aug 2011Sun 07-Aug-11 02:35 PM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"New to DLSR and Nikon"
Sun 07-Aug-11 02:57 PM by loriann1970

US

Hi - I just bought a D5100 from Costco and am loving some of the pictures that I have taken while playing with it.

Last night I went out and tried to take some pics with the 55-300 lense and what looked was in perfect focus was not when I got home and uploaded. I was so bummed.

Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong or whether I should return the camera and try something different?

Going to search the forum too for ideas but wanted to get this up and posted. Thanks for your thoughts.

Lori in Montana

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: New to DLSR and Nikon
pjonesCET Gold Member
07th Aug 2011
loriann1970
07th Aug 2011
pjonesCET Gold Member
07th Aug 2011
jpFoto
07th Aug 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
08th Aug 2011
loriann1970
08th Aug 2011
pjonesCET Gold Member
08th Aug 2011
loriann1970
08th Aug 2011
pjonesCET Gold Member
09th Aug 2011
jpFoto
10th Aug 2011
loriann1970
10th Aug 2011
loriann1970
10th Aug 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
10th Aug 2011
jpFoto
10th Aug 2011
bullfrog
13th Aug 2011
loriann1970
13th Aug 2011
pjonesCET Gold Member
14th Aug 2011
jpFoto
14th Aug 2011
loriann1970
14th Aug 2011
jpFoto
14th Aug 2011
pjonesCET Gold Member
14th Aug 2011
jpFoto
14th Aug 2011
pjonesCET Gold Member
15th Aug 2011
loriann1970
15th Aug 2011
jpFoto
15th Aug 2011
pjonesCET Gold Member
15th Aug 2011
jpFoto
16th Aug 2011
pjonesCET Gold Member
16th Aug 2011
gkaiseril Gold Member
16th Aug 2011
Reply message One caveat on filters
closerlook
16th Aug 2011

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Sun 07-Aug-11 02:49 PM
586 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: New to DLSR and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 07-Aug-11 08:05 PM by pjonesCET

Martinsville, US

Odds are you didn't have the proper aperture setting for the darkness of the scene. Also does this camera have a Auto-focus, VR (Vibration Resistance) Lens?

Were they turned off or on? should be on.

IF camera has Guide Option turn on and answer questions that come up as to what you are doing, and make suggested setting.

IF you can, in really low light, use a Tripod.

If outside make sure Flash doesn't Flash (it doesn't do any good on outside images in the evening. Even shooting ball games inside or out, or some type of play/ dance inside (or out in the evening) Flash is wasted effort unless your within 4-10 foot of the subject, and use it as back fill (where the subject has sun at back to their back).

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/
http://www.phillipjones-cet.net

loriann1970 Registered since 07th Aug 2011Sun 07-Aug-11 02:57 PM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: New to DLSR and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Phil - thanks. Definitely going to check that - my father-in-law did say that the flash was on.

Seems like the stuff up close was perfectly focused but not the elk in the background. Should I switch to a multi focal instead of single? would that help too? not sure.

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Sun 07-Aug-11 07:59 PM
586 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: New to DLSR and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 2

Martinsville, US

That probably would have helped.

In the guide menu you answer yes or no to a series of questions. when you answer yes another series of questions come up and some setting to adjust. you keep going through guide menus until your exact situation comes up. Chances are with the elk it moved as you were shooting which would cause a blurry picture. perhaps a wider aperture (allowing more light in) or a faster shutter speed would have captured better.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Sun 07-Aug-11 07:55 PM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: New to DLSR and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 07-Aug-11 08:02 PM by jpFoto

US

Hi Lori

Welcome to Nikonians. Don't give up the ship so soon. The Nikkor AF-S 55-300 f/4.5-5.6 VRII is an excellent lens and I have seen some great results with it. Since you said that you went out "last night," I'm going to assume that the light was low so most likely you weren't able to shoot at a fast enough shutter speed. What you thought was poor focus was probably camera shake because of a slow shutter speed. Your lens is what many refer to as "slow" because the maximum aperture is F/4.5 at the wide end (55mm) of the zoom and f/5.6 at the long end (300mm), which just means that you need good lighting to be able to use a fast enough shutter speed to avoid that camera shake. Hopefully, you have gone out during the day and tried some more shots in bright light to reassure yourself. Here's a link to some zoo shots that a friend of mine shot with that lens. He was a beginner at the time. Now, a year later, he does some professional photography.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nikoncouplesoflo/sets/72157625386876076/

jP

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberMon 08-Aug-11 03:28 AM
3176 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: New to DLSR and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 3
Mon 08-Aug-11 03:29 AM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

1st off, I think you need a TriPod for a 16mp camera,
at least until you polish your hand held technique.

2nd read your manual with camera in hand,
there is lots to learn.

3rd a higher f stop f/8-16 is going to give you a larger DOF,
more things near and far will be in focus

The problem is that a high f-stop lets in less light,
so you need a higher ISO
I have my Auto ISO set for 100 minimum 6400 max with a
minimum shutter speed of 640

You might also go to live view and zoom in before you focus,
it can be quite revealing.

loriann1970 Registered since 07th Aug 2011Mon 08-Aug-11 03:13 PM
#6. "RE: New to DLSR and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Thanks. So much to learn - but I think I will be able to get some really nice pics once I figure it all out. I posted a couple of pics from last evening while I was searching for the group of bull elk.

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Mon 08-Aug-11 03:27 PM
#7. "RE: New to DLSR and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 6

Martinsville, US

Where?

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net

loriann1970 Registered since 07th Aug 2011Mon 08-Aug-11 11:04 PM
#8. "RE: New to DLSR and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Eureka, Montana

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Tue 09-Aug-11 03:50 AM
#9. "RE: New to DLSR and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 8

Martinsville, US

Sorry I meant where did you post them?

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Wed 10-Aug-11 01:24 PM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: New to DLSR and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 6
Wed 10-Aug-11 02:15 PM by jpFoto

US

Great composition on a couple of those shots. As I had suspected, you are shooting at too slow of a shutter speed particularly with that lens. Your EXIF data shows that two of your shots of the Elk were at 1/30. Also, your lens has VR, but you have turned it "off."

I would suggest that you set up (turn on) Auto-ISO for this type of outing and let the ISO go as high as 1600 or even 3200 with a miniumum shutter speed of 1/200.

Obviously, there is more to this than you can learn in one thread, so I would also suggest that you read the manual that came either in the box or on a CD with the camera.

Also, I would highly recommend a book by Bryan Peterson entitled "Understanding Exposure." Priceless. Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-3rd-Photographs-Camera/dp/0817439390/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312985657&sr=8-1

Good luck and I look forward to seeing some great pictures.

jP

loriann1970 Registered since 07th Aug 2011Wed 10-Aug-11 03:01 PM
#11. "RE: New to DLSR and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 10

US

Thanks so much for the info - I will look and read and try it. I have a couple of other pics that I will post to my Gallery.

loriann1970 Registered since 07th Aug 2011Wed 10-Aug-11 03:16 PM
#12. "RE: New to DLSR and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 11

US

another quick question - as I try to upload to my gallery it says the file exceeds my space limits - I havent mastered the Nikon View thing so I am not sure how to make them smaller. Ideass.

I really need to find some quiet time and sit and watch the DVD. Hopefully in the next couple of days.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberWed 10-Aug-11 03:38 PM
3176 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: New to DLSR and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 12

Monterey Bay, US

I use Dave's Uploader for my PhotoCart, but
ACDsee for my Nikonians Gallery
You can resize and save-as at a lower quality for posting pictures to this forum.
You probably will be able to do the same thing with Nikon View.

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Wed 10-Aug-11 04:54 PM
#14. "RE: New to DLSR and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 12

US

I want to correct something that I had said in my first post. After looking at the EXIF data again, I see that you do, in fact, have AUTO-ISO on. Also, if you were shooting on a tri-pod, then you were correct to turn off the VR. You just ran out of light in a couple of those shots. There's nothing that you can do about that. (Except to spend a lot of money on a faster lens and I am NOT recommending that.)

As for the book, I had recommended it to a young photographer and he later told me that it was the best book that he had ever read on photography and that he was going to buy a couple of Bryan's other books.

jP

bullfrog Registered since 26th Feb 2002Sat 13-Aug-11 09:33 PM
192 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: New to DLSR and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 10

Charlottesville, US

>Also, I would highly recommend a book by Bryan Peterson
>entitled "Understanding Exposure." Priceless.
>Here's a link:
>
>http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-3rd-Photographs-Camera/dp/0817439390/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312985657&sr=8-1
>
>Good luck and I look forward to seeing some great pictures.
>
>jP

This is a great suggestion - I've recommended this book to many others. I think it goes a long way toward explaining the fundamentals of exposure in a very accessible yet thorough manner. When my teenage son started to get very interested in photography, this was the one book I encouraged him to read first.

Doug

loriann1970 Registered since 07th Aug 2011Sat 13-Aug-11 11:14 PM
#16. "RE: New to DLSR and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 15

US

Here's the link to some of the pics that I have taken

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v333/rangerlori/Nikon%20D5100/

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Sun 14-Aug-11 03:58 AM
#17. "RE: New to DLSR and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 16

Martinsville, US

Wow, For a beginner that some good looking photos.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Sun 14-Aug-11 12:26 PM
#18. "RE: New to DLSR and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 16

US

Loriann

You have a good eye. Those are really nice captures!

Just out of curiosity, are you using a filter?

jP

loriann1970 Registered since 07th Aug 2011Sun 14-Aug-11 02:47 PM
#19. "RE: New to DLSR and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 18

US

Philip - thanks.

JP - bought a UV and a circ polarizer but have to return them today as the guy at best buy sold me 58 instead of 52s. Looking forward to seeing the difference with the filter on.

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Sun 14-Aug-11 06:51 PM
#20. "RE: New to DLSR and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 19

US

Be careful, cheap filters can degrade your photos. You may want to visit the Filters forum here before you buy and use your filters. There's a lot of good information and cautionary advice over there.

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Sun 14-Aug-11 07:41 PM
#21. "RE: New to DLSR and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 20

Martinsville, US

I've been told on this Forum That the lens that came with my D3100 the 18-55mm and the 55-200mm have UV coating built in and filters I bought were a waste of money. (except perhaps as lens protectors)

I had several Photo That seemed too bright and sort of blah. I was told to use Photo Shop or similar to adjust levels. after Doing so looked just fine.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Sun 14-Aug-11 09:25 PM
#22. "RE: New to DLSR and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 21
Sun 14-Aug-11 09:49 PM by jpFoto

US

Hi Phil

I think that you meant to say that your camera's sensor filters UV light as opposed to the lens. I believe that the current recommendations are that if you want to use a protective filter that you should use a very high quality clear glass filter such as the Nikon NC or a similar good quality filter such as the B&W, the Hoya and a few others. Cheap filters can definitely degrade your photos.

Also, if you take a look at the Filters forum, you will see that there are two different camps regarding the use of protective filters. Both have merit.

jP

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Mon 15-Aug-11 02:23 AM
#23. "RE: New to DLSR and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 21

Martinsville, US

Either the camera has the UV filtering or the lens. But what I was told was the lens. Doesn't make any difference, though. Anyway my buying a U/V was useless. I was taking pictures on The Blue Ridge Parkway. in the fall was trying to get some decent picture Leaf color. Everything seemed hazy. need to remember how to set F-stops to counter act that.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net

loriann1970 Registered since 07th Aug 2011Mon 15-Aug-11 04:53 AM
#24. "RE: New to DLSR and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 23

US

hmmmmm . . . . I guess I better check out that thread. The ones I got at best buy were rocket fish. I was chatting with a wildlife photographer at the Huckleberry Festival today and he said he just uses a UV filter to protect his lens and only uses a polarizer for water shots. hmmmmm

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Mon 15-Aug-11 10:26 PM
#25. "RE: New to DLSR and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 24

US

Good! I was trying to steer you in that direction without coming right out and just telling you to take those filters back. High quality, multi coated, and clear, or nothing.

I have an older lens that I hadn't used for a few years and recently mounted it on one of my cameras, but when I looked at the shots I couldn't believe how bad they were. I took a few more controlled test shots and then removed the filter for a few more test shots. After looking at the photos without the filter, I threw the filter in the garbage. It was too bad because I had really liked those shots.

jP

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Mon 15-Aug-11 10:41 PM
#26. "RE: New to DLSR and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 25

Martinsville, US

How does one use a Polarizer lens on a auto focus lens? I have one.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Tue 16-Aug-11 12:28 AM
#27. "RE: New to DLSR and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 26
Tue 16-Aug-11 12:47 AM by jpFoto

US

Phil

I am far from an expert on filters. Why don't you ask a few questions over in the Filter forum. I was just trying to save our new Nikonian from what could possibly have been or could have become a "cheap filter disaster."

jP

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Tue 16-Aug-11 02:36 AM
#28. "RE: New to DLSR and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 27

Martinsville, US

Good idea.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 16-Aug-11 06:16 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#30. "RE: New to DLSR and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 26

Chicago, US

You turn the filter for least amount of polarization so the auto focus has the most amount of light and contrast to work with, then rotate the filter for the desired effect. If you lose focus, repeat get focus, change to manual focus, rotate filter.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

closerlook Registered since 15th Aug 2011Tue 16-Aug-11 06:11 AM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "One caveat on filters"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Though it may initially seem like filter quality won't make a difference, I know someone who had thought his brand new camera was broken because the images of things at a distance were terrible.
Turned out that it was just a bad filter.
Hope this helps someone.
I'm also new to a D5100 and am glad that I chose this model.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4136 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.