Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4133
View in linear mode

Subject: "First Macro Attempts" Previous topic | Next topic
DannyGordon Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Jun 2011Sat 06-Aug-11 04:52 AM
86 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"First Macro Attempts"


BR
          

D5100 + 55-300 + Raynox 250 converter.

Man! This is difficult! At least with the 55-300 and to get this close.

How do you manage to get the right distance with the tripod in such a super close pic?
Gosh! Move 0.1 millimeter and the focus is gone.

And that incredibly shallow DOF!

But I'm having a lot of fun trying this new thing.





Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

  

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 09-Aug-11 06:02 AM
25659 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: First Macro Attempts"
In response to Reply # 0


US
          

Hi Daniel,


>How do you manage to get the right distance with the tripod in
>such a super close pic?
>Gosh! Move 0.1 millimeter and the focus is gone.

Patience! You could also use focusing rails. Though before investing in focusing rails I would get a true macro lens. Once you see the price of a quality focusing rail you will understand.

>And that incredibly shallow DOF!

Yep!
Even with the lens fully stopped down the DOF at macro distances is paper thin. The DOF can be increased by "Focus Stacking" where you capture a series of images adjusting the focus point in each one, then combine or stack them in PP.

Nice work.
Thanks for sharing.
Good luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

  

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

    
DannyGordon Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Jun 2011Tue 09-Aug-11 04:22 PM
86 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: First Macro Attempts"
In response to Reply # 1


BR
          

Thanks Marty. I've heard/read about those focusing rails and sliders. I got interested in them.
And yes, I found out they can be really expensive.
But there are some not so expensive too.

As I'm new to macro photography just starting out and as I already bought the Raynox 250 conversion lens I may look into some of them. The ones around 100/150 bucks.

later on if I really like doing this (and I think I will), I may invest in some macro lenses and also maybe some extension tubes.

Thanks a lot for the input.

>Hi Daniel,
>>How do you manage to get the right distance with the
>tripod in
>>such a super close pic?
>>Gosh! Move 0.1 millimeter and the focus is gone.
>
>Patience! You could also use focusing rails. Though before
>investing in focusing rails I would get a true macro lens.
>Once you see the price of a quality focusing rail you will
>understand.
>
>>And that incredibly shallow DOF!
>
>Yep!
>Even with the lens fully stopped down the DOF at macro
>distances is paper thin. The DOF can be increased by
>"Focus Stacking" where you capture a series of
>images adjusting the focus point in each one, then combine or
>stack them in PP.
>
>Nice work.
>Thanks for sharing.
>Good luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

  

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Superinc Registered since 08th Aug 2011Tue 09-Aug-11 06:05 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: First Macro Attempts"
In response to Reply # 0


US
          

great shots.

the 55-300 maybe not the best for macro since it requires to be ten feet away.
if using manual focus , focus ring tends not to be so smooth, and the front glass slides just a bit when shooting downward position.
despite this, I love the 55-300. gotten great images from it.


I little cheat ive used to pin point focus , is using Live view(Lv), crop your scene with the tele lens then, zooming all the way on the LCD(+)digitally then focus.



  

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

    
DannyGordon Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Jun 2011Tue 09-Aug-11 04:27 PM
86 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: First Macro Attempts"
In response to Reply # 2


BR
          

Thanks!

Actually with Raynox 250 I can get really close with the 55-300.

I don't like using LV so much. But using the zoom on the LCD image to focus manually it is pretty handy indeed.

>great shots.
>
>the 55-300 maybe not the best for macro since it requires to
>be ten feet away.
>if using manual focus , focus ring tends not to be so smooth,
>and the front glass slides just a bit when shooting downward
>position.
>despite this, I love the 55-300. gotten great images from it.
>
>
>I little cheat ive used to pin point focus , is using Live
>view(Lv), crop your scene with the tele lens then, zooming all
>the way on the LCD(+)digitally then focus.
>
>
>
>

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

  

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4133 Previous topic | Next topic


Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.